OSU vs Rush

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpzebra

Reaction score
Hi all! Deciding between these two as decision day comes up. No strong specialty interest yet..listed pros and cons below

Ohio State

Pros
- P/F
- Students seem friendly and collaborative
- In-state tuition (total tuition over 4 years is 154K)
- Cheaper cost of living in the Columbus area
- Fantastic research opportunities
- Traditional lecture based curriculum (no mandatory classes, recorded lectures, systems approach)
- Higher rank (30)
- Brand new inpatient hospital being built (will be first class able to do clinical rotations there)
- Well-connected to physicians and medical community due to going to UG here

Cons
- Internal quartile rankings (also being used to award scholarships which may induce competitiveness..not sure)
- It seems like a lot of students from here match into Ohio programs; I'm not sure how much of this is just due to student preference, but I'd like to move out of Ohio for residency
- Having gone here for undergrad means I'll spend another 4 years in the same place, won't get to experience a new city etc
- Lack of dedicated research time

Rush Medical College

Pros
- Students I've connected with seem very friendly and helpful
- Get exposure at both Rush university medical center and Cook county
- True P/F..no internal rankings
- Culture really emphasizes service
- Diverse student body (many non-trads with unique experiences)
- Heard they excel in great clinical experiences during M3 and M4 years
- Chicago would be an AMAZING city to be during my mid-20's (have always wanted to live in a big city)

Cons
-More expensive (tuition is 224K over 4 years)
-Higher cost of living in Chicago
-Flipped classroom (could not be a con but there are mandatory sessions every week ranging from 5-10 hours
- Lower rank (68)..not sure if this matters more with Step 1 being P/F
- Harsher winters

Overall, I am pretty conflicted and would love to hear others opinions

Members don't see this ad.

OSU. Yeah, Chicago is a big city- so is Columbus. OSU excels just as well clinically as Rush does- they have more specialties to offer students to see, you still get that underserved population that you would see at Stroger. Granted I'm biased. If you are someone who would die on the mountain for service and caring for the underserved as well as living in Chicago, I agree Rush. Same if you could not live in Columbus another 4 years or you don't like the UG campus vibes. But the clinical, research, and cost benefits of OSU outweigh that in my opinion.

You’ll get good opportunities at both, so imo the new city experience would be worth it if it is something that you really want.