Ortiz trial begins Monday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In reading about the trial, why was a “renowned anesthesiologist” with no direct link to the case testifying for the defense? I understand this happens often in these trials and the defense is entitled to call rebuttal experts, but my question is more why would the renowned physician do it? Need money that badly?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In reading about the trial, why was a “renowned anesthesiologist” with no direct link to the case testifying for the defense? I understand this happens often in these trials and the defense is entitled to call rebuttal experts, but my question is more why would the renowned physician do it? Need money that badly?

I doubt she truly believed Ortiz was innocent. My guess for $$$.

"Specifically, she testified that she believed doctors administered medicine to patients incorrectly" definitely a very BJS thing to say.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think amyl is using the term as in “A person who is unscrupulous, especially one who compromises their principles for gain” in which case he’s subjectively not wrong; and also I believe he knew one of the victims.

I see so many of these “experts” in mad mal cases doing harm to their profession; they always seem to come from academia. I will never understand their thought process. In residency we had two attendings who did it as a side gig often; they were by far our worst attendings clinically.

Reactions: 6 users

For some people, one of the reasons to become a “renowned anesthesiologist” is to develop a side gig as a hired gun. Is that a better choice of words than w****? I’m sure she’s a smart woman. I doubt she believes her own testimony.

Last edited:
I’ve a family member who is a med mal lawyer who has done some big cases, does this on both sides (client/plaintiff): everyone with a name on the chart gets named in the suit, this is so they can get testimony and background from everyone. She won a case based on one nicu nurses testimony with a lot of circumstantial evidence of a drunk nicu doctor

The large majority of cases get paid out before trial. The ones that don’t are either the defendant really didn’t think they did something wrong (my favorite one was someone in prison for fraud suing the prison doctor who had to push back to go to trial) or they’re not happy with the settlement. It’s a numbers game, you lose one case for 100 million because of something they can find you liable for and it’s better to settle. Ask the OBs about this, they’re one of the highest risk along with neurosurgeons.

If it goes to trial: the lawyers can see your insurance policy, debts etc…my family member told me I’d be fine because I still had student loans and very little liquid assets, she literally said, and she’s cutthroat but good at her job, ‘we’re looking for the >50 year old doctor who has a beach house if we have to go to trial.’ …document, document, document, especially if you work with cowboys crnas. I document in the preop note, then text and say ‘close the loop of communication’ if I don’t hear anything to put it in nursing language. The people who I’ve known who have been in a lawsuit, even if peripherally involved, say it’s a pain, hours out of your day and paperwork

Reactions: 1 users
Because narcissists and sociopaths in medicine exist just like in any other fields. And they care about nothing but themselves. $$$$

Just saw BJS in my AnesthesiologyNews (yes I peruse that garbage publication occasionally when it comes to the house). She is apparently a well known professor and the president of the Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia 😳. So why on earth would you also need to side gig defending a psychopath in court?! I just don’t get it.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve a family member who is a med mal lawyer who has done some big cases, does this on both sides (client/plaintiff): everyone with a name on the chart gets named in the suit, this is so they can get testimony and background from everyone. She won a case based on one nicu nurses testimony with a lot of circumstantial evidence of a drunk nicu doctor

The large majority of cases get paid out before trial. The ones that don’t are either the defendant really didn’t think they did something wrong (my favorite one was someone in prison for fraud suing the prison doctor who had to push back to go to trial) or they’re not happy with the settlement. It’s a numbers game, you lose one case for 100 million because of something they can find you liable for and it’s better to settle. Ask the OBs about this, they’re one of the highest risk along with neurosurgeons.

If it goes to trial: the lawyers can see your insurance policy, debts etc…my family member told me I’d be fine because I still had student loans and very little liquid assets, she literally said, and she’s cutthroat but good at her job, ‘we’re looking for the >50 year old doctor who has a beach house if we have to go to trial.’ …document, document, document, especially if you work with cowboys crnas. I document in the preop note, then text and say ‘close the loop of communication’ if I don’t hear anything to put it in nursing language. The people who I’ve known who have been in a lawsuit, even if peripherally involved, say it’s a pain, hours out of your day and paperwork
I'm uninterested in your fear mongering. Can clearly tell you practice CYA medicine only!