Ortho Books for a non-Ortho Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DSTDO2BE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting an Osteopathic Internship next month and just got my schedule. My first rotation is Ortho and I have NEVER done Ortho even as a med student. I'm looking for a book that I can start reading so I won't look like a complete idiot when I start. I would prefer something that small (i.e. to fit in my white coat) but I'm open to anything that's an easy read for someone not going into Ortho. Suggestions???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Orthopods don't read. Consequently, there are no ortho books.

-The Trifling Jester

Netter's Concise Atlas of Orthopaedic Anatomy.

A snug fit for a white coat, but distills the essential clinical problems, presentations, surgeries and anatomy. Best intro book for med student or intern who wants to learn ortho essentials.

Orthopods don't read. Consequently, there are no ortho books.

Right, that's why the average ortho step I & II scores are better than yours.

Members don't see this ad :)
they wont expect you to know much.

probably wont expect you to scrub in often either. if you can return all the pages, see the consults, write the norco/pt/ot scripts i.e. take care of all the *cough, "scut" your team will be thrilled with you.

probably wont expect you to scrub in often either. if you can return all the pages, see the consults, write the norco/pt/ot scripts i.e. take care of all the *cough, "scut" your team will be thrilled with you.

They may not expect you to scrub in very often, but the OP will be useless seeing consults, and answering some of the pages without a basic understanding of ortho.
They may not expect much, but most who rotate on ortho as an intern/resident have done so first as a med student and know the very basics.
Besides, internship shouldn't be all scut. It's nice to learn what you can during whatever rotation you're on.