Organic Chem for DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misspredent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, the DAT is coming up very soon for me and I haven't been seeing improvement in my organic section. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am having the same problem. But, i am taking the dat on aug 15th. i keep forgetting the reactions.
i just hope that is enough time to somehow master organic chemistry. also, i have seen no improvements on the view and aperture part of the pat. please, somebody give good suggestions. thanks in advance.

I'm studying for the DAT as well and from what I know we should commit to memory all of the major reactions . Keep a list of them, especially the brand name reactions, and just keep writing them out until you have it down cold. The act of writing them over and over seems to be working for me. My only problem in this section is the spectroscopy stuff, and keeping straight NMR vs IR, whether we should memorize frequencies, etc. Anyone have any advice on this?:confused:

Hi,

I just took the dat and did well on the ochem session (25). From my experience, there weren't any questions on named synthesis. Do remember the fundemental things though since at least ten questions on my test had to do with which compound would be the fastest on to react in an sn1 or sn2 rxn; which base would favor E2. Also things like which one is propation step in the radical rxn. so, if you still have a few days, sit down and memorize all the details. like aldhyde and carboxlylic acid are the terminal fxn group in the IUPAC system. I also had questions about what is the common name for the structure on the test. good luck.