Oregon State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woosiecg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I thought I would start a thread for people applying to Oregon State 2010-2011 for the Class of 2015!

I submitted my application on 9/1 and am hoping PharmCAS will be mailing my application tomorrow for Early Decision consideration! Anyone else applying ED to OSU?

If anyone has applied ED in the past it would be great if you would post the timeline for hearing back from them, from submission to interview invite to acceptance!

Thanks and Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I was applying to OSU and finished by supplemental essay too...
However, I don't know how I overlooked it, but I need a full year of upper division physiology for this school. I don't think they even offer that many physiology classes at my school. I guess I have to forgo this school. :(
Is it normal at your school to take a full year of physio?

Yes, my school offers Human Anatomy and Physiology as a year long series. I just finished the series this spring. As long as you finish your physio before July 1 (I think) you can still apply to the school. I know a number of applicants who were admitted last year with Physiology, microbio and cell biology still needing to be completed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm applying to OSU this year but not early decision. Just finished all of my essay stuff (which took for days, but I'm glad I did it the right way) I just need to get my transcripts in and talk to an old co-worker to make sure she gets my third letter of rec. done. Are you local?

Yes...I am local. I live in Hillsboro and attend PSU

I am guessing from lack of posts that not many SDNers are applying to Oregon! I was hoping to hear if anyone applying Early Decision had heard anything yet.

This is my attempt to revive this thread and get it back onto the main page so maybe other Oregon applicants will post!

I got my interview on 10/15 and was accepted on 10/25 so I will be in the Oregon COP 2015 class!! Any of my fellow interview candidates joining me?

Nice going woosiecg!!! I am working on my OSU app!! Yikes so late. Lolz

@woosieg, was your year long series of Human Anatomy and Physiology an upper division series? I took a year long series but it was lower division. Do you know if OSU would consider a lower division year long series?

Thanks!

RxHalo - My Anatomy and Physio was an upper division series at my school. I am almost certain that they do require it to be an upper division sequence. If you want to find out if they will take a specific sequence from your school I would email Nicole Kent. She is wonderful and I am sure if you provided her with course descriptions and your school name she could tell you if they would accept it. Her email is on the website.

Got an interview invite for Dec. 3 :) I need to email them about whether my pre-reqs are fine and dandy or not, but otherwise, hoping for the best!

Good luck with the interview next week! I'm sure it will go great!!!:thumbup:

congrats on getting the interview cubez. when did you submit your supplementals??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I think I finished/sent in with the supplemental material on Sept. 9th and I got an email confirming receipt of materials on September 15th. Did you submit yours already?

congrats on getting the interview cubez. when did you submit your supplementals??

Hi, I'm new here but have been reading the forums for a while. I've got an interview at OSU this Friday! I'm nervous, but excited!! maybe we'll be going to school together. =)

This is my attempt to revive this thread and get it back onto the main page so maybe other Oregon applicants will post!

I got my interview on 10/15 and was accepted on 10/25 so I will be in the Oregon COP 2015 class!! Any of my fellow interview candidates joining me?

I heard that I need to have the bachelor degree to apply for OSU's early decision. Is it right? Do u have a bachelor degree?

^^ u didn't need a bachelor's when I applied for ED. I just wanted to say good luck to everyone who applied and who plans on going to OSU for the fall term. I'm currently a P2 student there (Class of 2013) and loving it!

-cap

sheilanguyen - I had not completed my bachelors when I applied for ED. I had all my pre-reqs under my belt and met the minimum necessary GPA requirements. I know a lot of people who didn't even have all their pre-reqs complete and still got in with ED. The main criteria for being able to apply for ED is to have a 3.5 pre-req GPA (as calculated by OSU - which takes better of two grades in case a class was retaken).

All that said....it is a really good idea to have a bachelors degree prior to entering OSU's PharmD program unless you are working on a bachelors at OSU already. You have to obtain a bachelors by, I think, the 3rd year of the PharmD program which could mean having to take undergrad courses along with your PharmD courses. This was not something that appealed to me so I am finishing up my last term right now and will start my PharmD program in the fall!

Thank you woosiecg and CAPRx! I envy you guys. I hope one day I will be a pharmacy student like you guys are. How many candidates were interviewed on the same day with you? Oh, I also would like to know about the essay during the interview. What is the time limit for the essay? How long the essay should be?
I know this might be a weird question, but i really want to know what things people need to bring with them to the interview ( water, pencil, ....)? :p
Thank you!

When I interviewed there were only 6 people total at the interview. I think they did a lot of things different this year. They came up with all different interview questions, essays, etc. mainly because of this website...haha! I think they also scheduled more interview days so they spread the applicants out rather than having a large number of applicants at only a few interview dates. I only brought a pencil and eraser with me for the essay but I am sure water would have been fine as well. It was such a short process...Intro to school, student panel that could answer questions, 30 min interview and 30 min essay.

Have you already applied or are you applying in the next few years?

I didn't apply ED, but there were only six people when I interviewed, and normally about double that, so it seems that they do have a handful of interview dates.

After reading last year's thread, I was hoping to hear within a month or so like most people said they would, but maybe they changed things a little bit in that regard. They said they accept a very small number of people after each interview session and everyone else will hear back around spring break after they evaluate the entire interview group. Did you hear the same thing, Mixxie?

I haven't heard anything so I figured I'm in the spring break group, which I hope isn't too bad of a thing...the wait is killing me especially with other school offers looming that I wouldn't have to worry about if I could just get in here, haha :oops:

I didn't apply ED, but there were only six people when I interviewed, and normally about double that, so it seems that they do have a handful of interview dates.

After reading last year's thread, I was hoping to hear within a month or so like most people said they would, but maybe they changed things a little bit in that regard. They said they accept a very small number of people after each interview session and everyone else will hear back around spring break after they evaluate the entire interview group. Did you hear the same thing, Mixxie?

I haven't heard anything so I figured I'm in the spring break group, which I hope isn't too bad of a thing...the wait is killing me especially with other school offers looming that I wouldn't have to worry about if I could just get in here, haha :oops:

They told us that they meet once a month to evaluate all the applicants they had interviewed up to that point. If they can make a definitive choice about any applicant they will notify them then, if not, they just wait until the next monthly meeting to review everyone they had not made a choice about yet. So at the earliest you'd hear the same month, at the latest you'll hear by the end of march around spring break... UGH i hope i get innnnnn.

That is interesting to know that they don't evaluate after each interview but after each month. They told us they would be interviewing almost every friday starting in January so I guess it makes sense for them to wait and look at all applicants and pick the best. I am feeling lucky that I only had to wait 10 days and it was good news. I would be dying with anticipation if I was still having to wait. Good luck to everyone!!!

When I interviewed there were only 6 people total at the interview. I think they did a lot of things different this year. They came up with all different interview questions, essays, etc. mainly because of this website...haha! I think they also scheduled more interview days so they spread the applicants out rather than having a large number of applicants at only a few interview dates. I only brought a pencil and eraser with me for the essay but I am sure water would have been fine as well. It was such a short process...Intro to school, student panel that could answer questions, 30 min interview and 30 min essay.

Have you already applied or are you applying in the next few years?

I am going to apply this year. I have a friend applying this year. He submited the application close to the dead line and he hasn't received any call for the the interview yet. .....so i think i should apply really early

what is the interview like? was it an all day event and how long do they let you prepare? can you remember what was the questions like?

Interview lasted about 2.5-3 hours. I think it began around noon and ended around 3 depending on if you went on the short tour of the pharmacy building after the interview. They said they would be changing the questions with each interview session but they were very situational. What would you do in this case?..etc.

ACCEPTED! Got the email around 12:30 :) ill be attending OSU instead of pacific now. Anyone else get an email today?

I was at the 1/7 interview and received a call on Tuesday morning and the email today as well! :D

Yeah! I am so excited to finally have other people on here that have been accepted and are attending OSU! They said they would be sending an email with a log in and password that we need to get coded in OSU's system as PharmD's and I have yet to get it. Let me know if you guys get it!

I got the offer of admission email on 2/3 :)

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the roll call for 2014/2015. Please post in the sticky thread or PM me your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).:)

Hi, for those of you who already interviewed, do you guys mind posting the questions you were asked? I know the questions are very scenario-based this year, so it would be extremely helpful if you could share your questions! My interview is in two weeks and I would be forever grateful!! :)

Congrats to all of you who have received offers!

I am a 4th year Pharmacy student at OSU, so if any of you have any questions regarding the program or just pharmacy in general, feel free to shoot me a private message. I am not on SDN all that often but I will see the private message notifications in my email.

Again, congrats!

Congratulations to everyone accepted! Now, where do we look for housing? Any ideas????? I am from Nevada.

Hey Cherry Minaj,
I've been wondering the same thing about housing. Not sure how to go about finding a place close to campus. I am IS so I think I am going to head down at the end of may and scout out some possible places and find out if any apartments pre-lease, or how early one should put in an application on a place. I will let you know what I find if you like.

Woosiecg,
What do you mean IS? I should plan a trip up there to perhaps around June. I would like to find a group of us to see if anyone is interested in rooming with me. Please let me know how it goes when you go in May.

IS means "in state". I live here in Oregon so I was just trying to say that I will have a chance to go down and check out the housing situation anytime (well when I get some free time between work, school, and life in general...haha). From what I have heard they do not start leasing places until closer to the time that school starts. I figured I could at least go down early and see what kind of places are out there and their proximity to campus. Hopefully OSU will send us out a bunch of information soon about registration, campus life, living in the area etc.

I am still trying to decided if I am willing to live with anyone right now. I am not too inclined to live with any other P1's. I am hoping to find a vet student to room with since I have animals and really want to make sure that if I have a roommate they are very animal conscious. If that falls through I am thinking I will be living alone, at least for the first year.

Oh got ya! Yea I really have no clue where to even start looking. OSU has not sent me any info on anything yet but I assume it will come soon. I'm thinking finding other P1s will not only make it cheaper but I'll know someone haha! In Reno you can find a decent apartment (2 bedroom) next to campus for $800. What are the price ranges in Oregon?

It varies based on the amenities it seems. I have been watching the craigslist adds to at least get some idea of what is down in that area. It seems like there are a lot of independently rented duplexes, homes etc.

The reason I was thinking of not rooming with another classmate was the fear of being around someone too much. I mean, we would be living together, taking class together, have similar schedules, I think it would be too much for me. Plus, considering the competitive nature of getting to pharm school, I don't want to room with someone taking the same classes and possible end up with a highly competitive person for a roommate. I could see potential rooming with a P2 so that would not be an issue but I only know a few and not well so...

For people who are already accepted.. can you give me an idea of your gpa or something that OSU looks at. I applied this year so I was just wondering..