oral surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OMFSwannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one has not received any interview invites from oral surgery, is it safe to assume that it is now too late, and most of the programs have already made their choices.

I am in that position and I just wanted to ask the oral surgery residents about my chances.

GPA 3.3
Part I boards 91
Part II 82( i know it sucks, should i take it over again)
Doing GPR right now

externhips, good letters of recommendations,
Applied to 36 programs, applied to half of them that the other people at SDN are getting interviews at.
rejected at parkland, cincinatti, maryland, michigan, memphis, kentucky, new orleans(either letters or i called them up and they turned me down)

Also i think its the part II boards that are hurting me, should i take them over again

thanks
will :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

OMFSwannabe said:
If one has not received any interview invites from oral surgery, is it safe to assume that it is now too late, and most of the programs have already made their choices.

I am in that position and I just wanted to ask the oral surgery residents about my chances.

GPA 3.3
Part I boards 91
Doing GPR right now

Applied to 36 programs, applied to half of them that the other people at SDN are getting interviews at.
rejected at parkland, cincinatti, maryland, michigan, memphis, kentucky, new orleans(either letters or i called them up and they turned me down)

Also i think its the part II boards that are hurting me, should i take them over again

thanks

I'm not an oral surgery resident. I'm just curious where 3.3 puts you in class rank. That will make one helluva difference. Best of luck to you though!

LSR1979 said:
I'm not an oral surgery resident. I'm just curious where 3.3 puts you in class rank. That will make one helluva difference. Best of luck to you though!

My school only ranks the first twenty five people. I graduated with 242 students, and i am in the second quantile(i haveno idea what my class rank is. The highest GPA was a 3.8)

So somewhere in the second quantile(this is also what my deans letter says). between 21%-40%

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFSwannabe said:
My school only ranks the first twenty five people. I graduated with 242 students, and i am in the second quantile(i haveno idea what my class rank is. The highest GPA was a 3.8)

So somewhere in the second quantile(this is also what my deans letter says). between 21%-40%
I hate to be the one to tell you, but you should probably start thinking about where you'd like to do an intern year. If you were going to get the interviews, you'd have them by now.

OMFSwannabe said:

GPA 3.3
Part I boards 91
Doing GPR right now

thanks

most but not all. I just got 3 new interviews this past friday. Dont give up hope until Mid November. The big programs however are harder to come by so dont sweat and wait on them...good luck.

GatorDMD said:
most but not all. I just got 3 new interviews this past friday. Dont give up hope until Mid November. The big programs however are harder to come by so dont sweat and wait on them...good luck.

yes some places i called and they told me they don't start reviewing their applications till thanksgiving, but those are of the ones i applied to, do know where all you applied.

what programs are those. i applied to a bunch of programs in NY and east coast

OMFSwannabe said:

I remember when i was interviewing, mt. sinai called during mid nov, and they were interviewing after christmas.

OMFSwannabe said:

Some programs that come to mind are nyu, montefiore, cornell, and a few others.... Some programs will notify you late if there are any last minute drop-outs. A classmate of mine last year got a phone call from michigan on thursday for an interview on the following saturday.