Oral Board

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jecave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize this isn’t explicitly published anywhere but does anyone have a theory of how the ABOG oral board is graded?

I feel like it’s very subjective. What if I don’t answer what the examiner wants to here initially but do answer upon further questioning. How is that factored into the score?

Members don't see this ad.

I realize this isn’t explicitly published anywhere but does anyone have a theory of how the ABOG oral board is graded?

I feel like it’s very subjective. What if I don’t answer what the examiner wants to here initially but do answer upon further questioning. How is that factored into the score?
ABOG actually does publish their grading guidelines for the oral exam here: New Scoring Model FAQs

The exam may have been fairly subjective in the past, but examiners have to follow a much more objective set of criteria now. Basically, as long as you have prepared well and don't sound like a dangerous physician, you will likely be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
what is the best course to prepare for the ABOG oral?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are several courses out there. I know Exampro best since that's what me and many other people in my cohort took. I was happy with Exampro, but I'm sure there are some other good ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for some guidance. Where should I be in terms of studying for this oral board? I'm working on my case list, yet to complete it but actively working on it and in between am doing some of the exam pro prep material but finding it difficult to know what to focus on. Any suggestions? tips?

Looking for some guidance. Where should I be in terms of studying for this oral board? I'm working on my case list, yet to complete it but actively working on it and in between am doing some of the exam pro prep material but finding it difficult to know what to focus on. Any suggestions? tips?

Study their study guide.
Read all of the practice bulletins
Read pertinent Committee opinions
Do some mock orals

Make sure to get your case list reviewed. I paid exam pro to do it. I found it helpful and it helped streamline my list as it originally had too much detail.

I am not solely advertising exam pro but they are the biggest OBGYN exam prep company and I felt they offered a solid curriculum.

Last edited:
I bought ABC oral recorded videos and I am finding them excellent

I am studying to take it this fall/ winter. I purchase ABC and there's an extensive rewiew of videos and booklet. I've been able to reach out to the course director on questions I've had.

Friend of mine has the exam pro studying as I am and she finds it excellent. I don't think you're the wrong with either one, seems the key is to pick one and do it