Oral Board Prep Material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slowpoke

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who recently passed the Oral Boards, CONGRATULATIONS. Which were the resources you found most helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

For those who recently passed the Oral Boards, CONGRATULATIONS. Which were the resources you found most helpful?
I used only the case studies book from Amazon. A lot of the questions are not easy to prepare for as they are subjective to say the least and you are like what?? Also I felt a lot of the examiners didn’t know what they were doing - I was finishing up a pain fellowship and had lots of pain related cases, gave textbook answers on them and they still looked at me funny. So read some cases, and you should be fine. The year that I took it it was done virtual during Covid and I know like 20 percent of people failed or something but not sure whether that was due to technical difficulties or what.

It’s more important to understand the format and what they are looking for. I’d look at the videos on abpmr and have a study partner run through some cases critically.

Members don't see this ad :)
used the 3 case studies books on amazon and the cases in pmrrecap. Also my program did a mock oral board and i know some other review courses do it. I cant stress enough that it really helps to have someone else give you the cases as if you are being tested, doesnt even have to be another pmr. My friend would use the books to give me cases and they are not a doctor

Hopefully it remains virtual permanently. There is no reason why this exam shouldn't always be permanent.
They should permanently do away with it in my opinion! Why put everyone though one more hurdle...especially since all the NP/PAs are being allowed to practice in rehab settings. All those physicians who passed part 1 & not able to be board certified because they ABPMR wants to collect more $$ to keep oral boards which really is not representative of actual patient encounters.

Reactions: 1 user
They should permanently do away with it in my opinion! Why put everyone though one more hurdle...especially since all the NP/PAs are being allowed to practice in rehab settings. All those physicians who passed part 1 & not able to be board certified because they ABPMR wants to collect more $$ to keep oral boards which really is not representative of actual patient encounters.

I agree completely 100%. I signed the petition to get rid of this exam. But not enough people are involved. We should all sign and write ABPM&R to say no more. This exam needs to go.