Optometry Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the Undergrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm a pre-opt student, looking into applying to Opt schools for Fall 2007. However I have not exactly had much experience with shadowing an optometrist. I start volunteering next week. However, I'd surely like to hear some feedback/input from those of you who've shadowed an optometrist.

Such as, what else do optometrists do besides spinning dials, and asking for a better number or clearer alphabet. I mean, these are types of things any layman knows about the field of optometry. What I am interested is what actually goes on in an optometrists' office/clinic once the patient has left. Basically, I'm really interested in finding out about daily day-to-day practices of optometrists. Any other useful sites/links will be great.

Thanks! And looking forward to hearing some interesting experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to visit an optometrist who specializes in vision therapy!

Some people don't think vision therapy is the best way to solve visual problems, but it was a lot of fun to shadow there! Especially if you like kids. The practice that I spent a day in was quite large. The optometrist would bring 4-5 kids in the back therapy area at one time (with the help of 2 interns) and the kids engaged in many different activities. One girl that I was sitting next to looked up and said, "I like coming here, this is fun!" Half of them thought their office visit was more like play time than actual therapy. I would also recommend maybe visiting a chain such as Lenscrafters, just to see what it is like. Many private practice doctors look down on them, but it's still nice to see what these chains are like so you can make your decision on your own. Visiting a practice that also employs opthalmologists maybe be fun as well. My friend works at one of those practices, and she said that she definitely wants to work in an office like that when she graduates from optometry school. All in all, I would say to shadow a lot of different practices. That way, you might start to see what areas you are interested in, and also, you will have a lot to talk about at your interviews! Hope this helps :)

Both my parents are Optometrists and so I have been around the profession my whole life. I began working in our family clinic when I was 15 and have worked there since. I also worked for a larger practice in the area where I did my undergrad.

Anyway, depending on what sort of practice you invision on having or being involved in, the resposibilities of the optometrist as well as the staff etc you will deal with will differ (It is also a very good idea to be able to answer the "what kind of optometrists do you want to be?"question for interviews....I was asked this several times during my series of interviews for Optometry schools.). Optometrists deal with a lot more than dials and alphabetical charts. The Optometrist diagnosis diseases of the eye/adresses neurological issues and will often have to prescibe drugs for them, in private pracitce many optometrists are heavily involved in the running of a dispensary for glasses/frames and will select proper lenses(thick/thin/glass/plastic/polycarbonate)/progressive bifocals and the appropriate coatings according to the lifestyle of their patient. Also they have to deal with Sales Representatives who sell frames/drugs/contact lenses. There is also the dealings with different insurance companies which can get very complicated sometimes. ODs are responsible to complete continuing education as well and thus often attend conventions and lectures.
In private practice you also have to hire staff, advertise etc....The list is VERY long!!

I really know the most about private/general practices but where I am from that is mainly the type of optometrists available and I have always worked in private practice.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions :)