Options for an MD with CS background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
High. I recently left my residency and now I am considering my options. Besides having an MD I also have a background in computer science, and have even published a couple of iPhone and Max OSX apps (not really money makers, but they do vouch for my programming chops). I haven't thrown out the idea of going back to another residency, but many time in residency I felt like I was working harder, and not smarter. Are there any options for an MD with programming know how?
Thnx

Members don't see this ad.

High. I recently left my residency and now I am considering my options. Besides having an MD I also have a background in computer science, and have even published a couple of iPhone and Max OSX apps (not really money makers, but they do vouch for my programming chops). I haven't thrown out the idea of going back to another residency, but many time in residency I felt like I was working harder, and not smarter. Are there any options for an MD with programming know how?

Plenty -- However the work can dwarf that of clinical practice.
One:
Interactive telemedicine will evolve requiring easy-to-access holographic (I said that--may seem unrealistic), but emerging technologies will enable "virtual" visits. Two: Medical education, CME technologies are creeping toward greater interactive modules. Three: Revisable "living" textbooks that once online continue to be grown, and renewed. I can go on for hours on the possibilities -- Face it, the healthcare landscape in the US is in flux, ultimately diminishing returns--just starting out MDs will not see much in terms of remuneration. Establish a foothold in medicine and pursue your imagination--there are no limits.

You could try working for an EMR. I'm not sure how to get one of these jobs, but start looking at EPIC and a few of the other big ones. If you are interested in informatics, there is a fellowship and board certification in the field, although you would need to complete residency. Would you mind telling us why you left residency?