Optho is cush...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud721

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency:

Essentially an 8-4, M-F job. Yes, it's great if you read outside your residency, but if you're relatively bright(which most ophto residents are), you'll learn your stuff on the job and pass your boards.

Optho as a career:

Essentially an 8-4, Mon-Thurs job, no joke. I have a brother who is a gen. ophthalmologist that averages less than 40 hours/week, Fridays off, weekends off. I can't tell you how many times he has said to me, "I can't believe I get paid to do this..." He loves it. The half a mil a year doesn't hurt, I'm sure.

Specializing in Retina/Vitreous is a little different. It's more like most docs work, approx 50 hrs./ week, busy call for optho. However, MGMA average salary for Retina doc is $575K with 75th percentile salaries approaching 800K--toasting all specialties other than Interventional Cards, Ortho Spine, Neurosurg and CT Surg.

I will go for lifestyle, join the ranks of my bro in general optho.

You can't go wrong with this field. If you like high-stakes precision work and have good hands, we need you.

Medstud

Members don't see this ad.

That's the kind of info I want to hear! Good luck in Ophtho, hopefully I will also be "joining the ranks" soon.

Originally posted by medstud721
Residency:

Essentially an 8-4, M-F job. Yes, it's great if you read outside your residency, but if you're relatively bright(which most ophto residents are), you'll learn your stuff on the job and pass your boards.

Optho as a career:

Essentially an 8-4, Mon-Thurs job, no joke. I have a brother who is a gen. ophthalmologist that averages less than 40 hours/week, Fridays off, weekends off. I can't tell you how many times he has said to me, "I can't believe I get paid to do this..." He loves it. The half a mil a year doesn't hurt, I'm sure.

Specializing in Retina/Vitreous is a little different. It's more like most docs work, approx 50 hrs./ week, busy call for optho. However, MGMA average salary for Retina doc is $575K with 75th percentile salaries approaching 800K--toasting all specialties other than Interventional Cards, Ortho Spine, Neurosurg and CT Surg.

I will go for lifestyle, join the ranks of my bro in general optho.

You can't go wrong with this field. If you like high-stakes precision work and have good hands, we need you.

Medstud

4 days/week w/weekends off @ 500k/year is definitely not the norm or even close to the average of around 250k/year....you might be able to net 500k/year if you own your own out-patient facility and bill for both procedural and facility fee...as for retina...the national average is closer to 350k/year than 550k/year...as always salary/income will vary depending upon practice situation and geographical location

Originally posted by medstud721
Yes, it's great if you read outside your residency, but if you're relatively bright(which most ophto residents are), you'll learn your stuff on the job and pass your boards.
It is even more great to read so that you can offer your patients the best possible care rather than just retaining enough trivia to simply pass a test. I would advise against the "bare minimum" approach to patient care in ophtho since the results could be potentially dangerous and debilitating. Don't choose ophtho because it is "cush" or to fulfill slacker tendencies.