optho - do i have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dharmabum7

Allergy Imm Attending
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Optho MudPhd or any other benevolent person out there,

I just became interested in Ophto this year. The problem is that I am thinking of staying in just new york area. In addition, I have average board scores (we're talking the mean), do I have a shot of getting in? My school has a good program with optho guys who are pretty well known. With good recs, do I stand a chance of matching anywhere in ny/nj/conn? If so where?

Also do you recommend I do an AI there? Possible take Step 2s?

Thanks for your help.

-'bum...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there.

Board scores are only one element of the application package. There are people who get in with average and below average board scores. It really depends on what else you have to offer in regards to medical school grades, ophthalmology experience, research, letters or recommendations, etc...

There are numerous programs in New York and the East Coast. You will have a shot with average scores as long as the rest of your application package is strong. The best thing to do is sit down with your ophthalmology program director at your program and discuss your position.

Good luck.

andrew,

thanks for the encouragement and advice. i'll go talk to them.

-'bum

hey all and optho mudphud,

I've noticed from the posts that optho appears to be a very md/phd-friendly field, with the programs that appear to seek out and interview them. i'm currently a third year who has been thinking about optho too, but am a bit worried/skeptical about my chances....cos i'm a mudphud, maybe other md/phd's (optho mudphud and everyone else of course!) out there can shed some light on what it takes to get matched...

here's the lowdown: my grades third yr are not "honors" level, but have been a cut below, like A-/B+/high pass whatever your school equivalent is. my step 1 board scores from way back when (seriously, they were like from the stone age, disappointed something from way back can still count today!) is like national avg. btw, what IS the national average? is it like 200? or 220? anyway, my score was nothing to celebrate about...but again, i took some time off to do that phd, although nothing really related to optho per se, but i can always tie it in, and then of course, the several papers and presentations at national conferences along with it.

seeing how the applications are due in a FEW months (!!!), :( should i do both the senior optho elective and the away elective this summer before August? should i take step 2 early to increase my chances with a better score?

i know the best info will come from sitting down with the dept chair, but just wanted to get some solid opinions from those who just went though/are going through the process now.

thanks a lot!