Opinions on grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rg2o3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began 2nd year a few weeks ago. First year I got a mix of A's and B's. I decided to focus more on board relevant information starting this year but my grades are now lingering in the mid to low B range. I am looking for opinions as to whether or not I should continue this way or try to cut back and see if my grades rise again? It is kind of messing with my head it seems. Any helpful opinions would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about your grades/GPA.

They won't get you anywhere.
Learn the core info thru boards materials and start memorizing bugs and drugs and doing first pass of Pathoma.

Reactions: 1 user
B- = B+

study board information and don't get C's in class and you'll be fine (unless you need to worry about class rank for uber competitive specialties)

Members don't see this ad :)
B- = B+

study board information and don't get C's in class and you'll be fine (unless you need to worry about class rank for uber competitive specialties)

Yeah this is true. While I agree grades don’t matter much by themselves from a residency standpoint, there are certainly incentives like scholarships, research, awards, and other ECs that can provide some value. But that’s typically only for the top 10% and are absolutely not necessary for a majority of programs and specialties. Otherwise go for top half and don’t fail anything.

Don’t get C’s. Other than that it doesn’t really matter. Top half looks nice on paper, but even that probably doesn’t mean much since the different between someone just north and just south of the halfway line legit might be a matter of a few percent difference on a single test.

I disagree when people say grades don't matter. Straight from the mouth of a physician who reviews residency apps at a large academic place that I'm interested in applying to, people with lopsided applications (high boards, low grades for example) are viewed far less favorably than someone with a well-rounded application, even if their board scores are lower. Maybe he's an outlier and most places don't care, but I'm not going to bet on that.

That said, I would take the tradeoff of board prep for mid-B's over a mix of A's/B's and no specific board prep, personally.

Reactions: 4 users
I disagree when people say grades don't matter. Straight from the mouth of a physician who reviews residency apps at a large academic place that I'm interested in applying to, people with lopsided applications (high boards, low grades for example) are viewed far less favorably than someone with a well-rounded application, even if their board scores are lower. Maybe he's an outlier and most places don't care, but I'm not going to bet on that.

That said, I would take the tradeoff of board prep for mid-B's over a mix of A's/B's and no specific board prep, personally.
The idea that people drop 250s in DO school while doing poorly in class needs to die. People who do well on boards are at least average in class rank except for a tiny segment of people even if they "don't try" with in-house exams.

Reactions: 5 users

People on SDN like to go to the extremes whenever it’s talked about. Someone with low grades isn’t getting a high board score. No one is saying to get C’s. Most of the time people mean they aren’t going to kill them selves anymore for that extra 3-5% on tests, whether that is a drop from 95+ to low 90s or from low 90s to high 80s.

No one is saying to sacrifice a 95 to go to 75. That is an SDN myth.

For the record I think it’s also a myth that someone needs to sacrifice class rank for a high board score. It is, in fact, possible to do both but most people just don’t want to put in the time and effort it takes.

I began 2nd year a few weeks ago. First year I got a mix of A's and B's. I decided to focus more on board relevant information starting this year but my grades are now lingering in the mid to low B range. I am looking for opinions as to whether or not I should continue this way or try to cut back and see if my grades rise again? It is kind of messing with my head it seems. Any helpful opinions would be great!
Low to mid B range is fine, especially if you're not putting your all into it.

Thanks for the responses. I think I’m going to continue with what I’ve been doing so long as I keep pulling low-mid Bs. It just had me a little discouraged for some reason to see my average on exams go from above the class average to right around it. I’m finding myself learning the core knowledge base very well. I’m just really taking hits on the random facts that Dr. “X” enjoys in his/her specialty.

Bro I stopped studying for class early in second year, and never opened a video or a book during 3rd year.

Boards turned out fine.

Just focus on boards and fitness if you wanna stay happy

Dude you are not alone. Crazy how I just stumbled upon this as I am struggling with the literal exact same thing right now. M1 I was an A student always far above the class avg and now im getting like straight 85s on everything , but focusing everything on sketchy FA pathoma zanki pepper etc. But it seems like general consensus is to just keep doing what were doing. Hang in there

Reactions: 2 users
Dude you are not alone. Crazy how I just stumbled upon this as I am struggling with the literal exact same thing right now. M1 I was an A student always far above the class avg and now im getting like straight 85s on everything , but focusing everything on sketchy FA pathoma zanki pepper etc. But it seems like general consensus is to just keep doing what were doing. Hang in there
Glad I’m not alone. I have required lectures so by the time I get done with Zanki/pathoma etc it’s already almost time for bed. Then my lectures are filled with the most random information so I spend the weekend before the exam just trying to cram all the nonsense. I’m actually highly disappointed in the lectures.

Members don't see this ad :)
Odds are you and a bunch of your classmates are just more comfortable with some of the more basic science/memorization heavy material. I think this is common among people that went straight thru college and into med school, and it's def not a bad thing. It will serve you well on step 1.

My class had a very similar pattern, where the older crowd that had a good amount of work experience and less recent exposure to biochem and all that stuff didn't do as well compared to the younger members of the class first year.

But then second year when things get a bit more clinical, those with experience seem to be able to tease out those little details a touch better and they ended up moving up in rank while the basic science gurus settled down a little bit more toward average.

You'll be fine!

Take a look at the NRMP program directors survey:

for IM PD's selecting applicants for interview invites
USMLE/COMLEX scores was rated amongst 95% of PD's as an important factor (4.2 out of 5 scale)
Class ranking was rated amongst 76% of surveyed PD's an an important factor (4.1/5)

for IM PD's ranking applicants
USMLE/COMLEX scores was rated amongst 86% of PD's as an important factor (4.1 out of 5 scale)
Class ranking was rated amongst 71% of surveyed PD's an an important factor (4.2/5)

So it's important. Not as important as boards, but still carries weight. So do as well as you can. If a few B's aren't going to move your class rank much then just keep doing what you're doing.

Reactions: 1 users
Glad I’m not alone. I have required lectures so by the time I get done with Zanki/pathoma etc it’s already almost time for bed. Then my lectures are filled with the most random information so I spend the weekend before the exam just trying to cram all the nonsense. I’m actually highly disappointed in the lectures.
Why our schools are set up like this I have no clue. I wish our professors could teach straight from FA pathoma and robbins but they dont and they wont lol just gotta jump through their stupid hoops and get by. I hate clas at my school I Just wanna listen to Dr Sattar and Dr Ryan all day

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Why our schools are set up like this I have no clue. I wish our professors could teach straight from FA pathoma and robbins but they dont and they wont lol just gotta jump through their stupid hoops and get by. I hate clas at my school I Just wanna listen to Dr Sattar and Dr Ryan all day

Right?

I wish we had lectures and exams where everything was pulled/based off board prep resources with some clinically relevant stuff sprinkled in.

Instead I got 80% mandatory attendance lectures on: "We're gonna teach you more than what's on boards because teaching to boards is just the minimum and we want to go above and beyond that."

Result: 4 years of 88-90% first time pass rates.

• Sad
Right?

I wish we had lectures and exams where everything was pulled/based off board prep resources with some clinically relevant stuff sprinkled in.

Instead I got 80% mandatory attendance lectures on: "We're gonna teach you more than what's on boards because teaching to boards is just the minimum and we want to go above and beyond that."

Result: 4 years of 88-90% first time pass rates.
Lol so frustrating. like i get they want to teach us some clinically relevant stuffs for 3rd year but they make it like 90% that and 10% step should be other way around. I wonder what schools with the highest board pass rates and avg do? Are they just PBL? Someone please correct me if im wrong but Harvard takes Step 1 in M3? Check this out https://hms.harvard.edu/sites/defau...iles/Design Team Summaries 11.13.15 Final.pdf

Lol so frustrating. like i get they want to teach us some clinically relevant stuffs for 3rd year but they make it like 90% that and 10% step should be other way around. I wonder what schools with the highest board pass rates and avg do? Are they just PBL? Someone please correct me if im wrong but Harvard takes Step 1 in M3? Check this out https://hms.harvard.edu/sites/defau...iles/Design Team Summaries 11.13.15 Final.pdf
If only I had a dollar for every time someone teaching said “this is high yield for step 2/3” okay well let me learn for step 1 at this point, lol.

Focus on boards unless your school ranks. No one has any clue what 'good' grades are at your program.

Reactions: 2 users
How bad is it to get a C? I have all A's so far, but Biochem is tearing me a new one right now.

Edit: We don't rank, we do quartiles. So, we still sorta ranked lol.

How bad is it to get a C? I have all A's so far, but Biochem is tearing me a new one right now.

Edit: We don't rank, we do quartiles. So, we still sorta ranked lol.
Whats the C in? I mean one C isn't a big deal especially if you have all As youll still be upper quartile, but even then since your school doesn't rank it doesn't really matter as much as other things like Step 1 and stuff. If its in OMM if you are at a DO school then it REALLY doesn't matter at all.

Whats the C in? I mean one C isn't a big deal especially if you have all As youll still be upper quartile, but even then since your school doesn't rank it doesn't really matter as much as other things like Step 1 and stuff. If its in OMM if you are at a DO school then it REALLY doesn't matter at all.

Cell Bio :( I still have a chance at a B if I can score a B+ on the final, but our class average went from a 94 to a 74 lol. So, we are trying to figure out what went wrong.

I like hearing that! I assumed OMM would be the worst thing you could make a C in. Dang, med school is just weird lol.

Cell Bio :( I still have a chance at a B if I can score a B+ on the final, but our class average went from a 94 to a 74 lol. So, we are trying to figure out what went wrong.

I like hearing that! I assumed OMM would be the worst thing you could make a C in. Dang, med school is just weird lol.

OMM is probably one of the better courses to take a C in if you had to...
That or the professionalism course.

If I were a PD I would actually prefer to see a mediocre grade in OMM while maintaining high grades/board scores. That would tell me you're sensible enough to know where to focus your studying lol

Reactions: 3 users

Residency PDs dgaf about OMM lol so yeah doesnt matter just make sure you pass. Unless of course you wanna do an OMM fellowship after an FM residency then id try and get better than a C but most people dont care about OMM. Pass it and move on

Residency PDs dgaf about OMM lol so yeah doesnt matter just make sure you pass. Unless of course you wanna do an OMM fellowship after an FM residency then id try and get better than a C but most people dont care about OMM. Pass it and move on

Gotcha! Thank you so much. Sadly, that is one class I’m doing well in (for now lol). Two test a week is killing my soul and I guess this is just my vent session haha.