Ophthamology Workweek Question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OwlMyste

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of the famed 4 day workweek for optho's (including optho surgeons maybe?) I have done some research into it and know from what people tell me that you dont have much control over your residency, but as an attending you can work as much or as less as you want, with the change of course being in how much $$ you make per year.
Having said that, I was wondering what the typical Optho Surgeon works each week? And what about the famed 4 day workweek? In order for Optho ppl to have that workweek, how many hours per 4 Day Workweek must they put in for that short amount of time?

Any helpful answers would be greatly appreciated...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by OwlMyste
I've heard of the famed 4 day workweek for optho's (including optho surgeons maybe?) I have done some research into it and know from what people tell me that you dont have much control over your residency, but as an attending you can work as much or as less as you want, with the change of course being in how much $$ you make per year.
Having said that, I was wondering what the typical Optho Surgeon works each week? And what about the famed 4 day workweek? In order for Optho ppl to have that workweek, how many hours per 4 Day Workweek must they put in for that short amount of time?

Any helpful answers would be greatly appreciated...

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Residency is nice too. I work from 8 AM to 5-6 PM every day which includes morning rounds each morning and afternoon conferences. I'm on call about 4 times a month.

The staff doctors at Iowa usually have either 2 days in the OR and 2 days of clinic or 3 days of clinic and 1 day in the OR. One day is an "academic" day where they spend time in the office or research. Their work hours are basically 8 AM to 5-6 PM every day too. The staff here are salaried so it doesn't matter how few or many patients they see. Some academic programs structure it like a private practice with compensation dependent on the number of patients and surgeries.

In private practice, the average ophthalmologist works 4 days per week with an average of about 36 hours per week. I read this from one of the AMA or AAO websites. I can't find the reference for you. Sorry. :(

No matter how you look at this profession, this is not a time consuming career.

damn thats a good workweek considering for a doctor! is that the workweek for the Optho Surgeon too?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow. thats amazing! because the first thing that came to my mind when i thought of "surgeon" was prolly the workweek and lifestyle of a General Surgeon...i.e. long work hours and little to no sleep or life outside of work. I never knew a surgeons life could be this cush! here's another question. I know that opthos do some clinic days and some OR days, but is there any optho that does nothing but operate? (with no clinic days), and if so, what are those hours like? (if they're not the same as the 4 day workweek people.) :cool::cool::cool:

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
OwlMyste,

If you read my post carefully, then you'll realize that most ophthalmologists are surgeons. OR=Operating Room. :)

Originally posted by OwlMyste
wow. thats amazing! because the first thing that came to my mind when i thought of "surgeon" was prolly the workweek and lifestyle of a General Surgeon...i.e. long work hours and little to no sleep or life outside of work. I never knew a surgeons life could be this cush! here's another question. I know that opthos do some clinic days and some OR days, but is there any optho that does nothing but operate? (with no clinic days), and if so, what are those hours like? (if they're not the same as the 4 day workweek people.) :cool::cool::cool:

OwlMyste,

Even the general surgeons have clinic days. You need the clinic days for pre-op and post-op followup. In addition, you need the clinic to determine which patients need and don't need surgery. There are no surgeons who ONLY spend time in the OR. This is impossible.