Ophthamology in New York

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aecom

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I would like to ask if anybody knows about the job market in NYC once you finish OPTHO residency. I am doing my OPTHO elective and the chief resident told me that he was disappointed with offers he got. He mostly complains of low pay offers. Other residents say that it is difficult to find a job in NYC because OPTHO is an oversaturated field. Does anybody know anything about this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The money in ophthalmology is definitely not what it used to be. That is a given. However, if you are still looking for that type of compensation...it still is possible IMHO. Medicine has turned into a business. The better you are at adapting to this inevitable truth...the more financial reward you will reap...also, those ophthos with their own ASC tend to have higher incomes over all as well...this is because they can charge for both a surgery and facility fee...

im not going for optho, although, i know someone who has been looking for a Full time job in NY for 2 years, he is not fellowship trained and doesnt wanna move, it really sucks...kind of depressing....he has a few part time jobs that hes not happy with. Ophtho in NY is mega tough.......i have a friend who said a funny quote about ophto, he said more so than any other field, ophtho is a business and you CAN fail...again...i dont know jack ****...just contributing a story about someone i know well. gluck guys