Ophthalmologist requiring medical clearance for cataract patients, aargh...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pastafan

Interventional Pain Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Patient is 93 y.o. undergoing planned cataract extraction. Ophthalmologist ordered medical clearance. We have known for over 40 years that cataract surgery is so low risk that medical conditions that don't involve an inability to lie still don't affect anesthetic risk.

How much money is wasted yearly by Medicare for this nonsense? I believe that there should be a push to have this expense come from the surgeon's global fee. That would end the practice in a heartbeat. End of rant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Somebody probably cancelled one of his cataracts 15 years ago so that’s what we get. I agree the risk is no higher than teeth cleaning.

Reactions: 5 users
Patient is 93 y.o. undergoing planned cataract extraction. Ophthalmologist ordered medical clearance. We have known for over 40 years that cataract surgery is so low risk that medical conditions that don't involve an inability to lie still don't affect anesthetic risk.

How much money is wasted yearly by Medicare for this nonsense? I believe that there should be a push to have this expense come from the surgeon's global fee. That would end the practice in a heartbeat. End of rant.
Just curious...is there a particular reason you care on this instance?

Members don't see this ad :)

Apparently you have never worked at a place (and they do exist) where they still want to do Asa 4 85 year old terminal stage cancer Mets to the bone wanting do elective cataracts under general anesthesia cause patient cannot tolerate laying relatively flat. Usual vascular path train wreck as well.

So there are Cataracts cases where medical evaluation is warranted.

Reactions: 6 users
I had a form last week in my Onc office wanting me to check a box to clear a patient for anesthetics for a “deep teeth cleaning.”

I just wrote “Oncologists don’t do that” and handed it to the patient.

Reactions: 4 users

many of these people havent been to the doctor in years and this is the way to get them plugged in, when they actually need something done they will do what they have been putting off.. thats the idea anyway

Reactions: 2 users
many of these people havent been to the doctor in years and this is the way to get them plugged in, when they actually need something done they will do what they have been putting off.. thats the idea anyway

Interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
99% of these people don’t need anything but topical and a calm voice.

The other 1% have bigger problems than their f’n cataract. Or a shty surgeon.
99% of my cataract patients would freak the **** out without versed
PO Valium. Preop per optho. If it’s good enough for lasik it’s good enough for simple cataract.

If 99% of your patients are complex dense cataracts that’s another story and I’m glad when they show up with preop “clearance”

Not to derail this thread too much, but with all this talk about "clearance", I just wanted to say f*** clearance. I'm so tired of pre-op nurses and surgeons treating the **** clearance note from some NP/PA as the golden ticket to the OR. I recently canceled a case in GI -- inpatient EGD for anemia w/u. Hct was stable, vitals were fine. But the patient was in acute heart failure, 4L oxygen (2L at baseline), can't finish a sentence, extremities like soggy marshmallows. Ofc the clearance note says "moderate to high risk / okay to proceed". Lmao, hard stop.

Reactions: 9 users
Not to derail this thread too much, but with all this talk about "clearance", I just wanted to say f*** clearance. I'm so tired of pre-op nurses and surgeons treating the **** clearance note from some NP/PA as the golden ticket to the OR. I recently canceled a case in GI -- inpatient EGD for anemia w/u. Hct was stable, vitals were fine. But the patient was in acute heart failure, 4L oxygen (2L at baseline), can't finish a sentence, extremities like soggy marshmallows. Ofc the clearance note says "moderate to high risk / okay to proceed". Lmao, hard stop.
A little peripheral and interstitial edema has never stopped me from a 10-minute low risk procedure that could change outcomes. And an extra 2L/min of O2 over baseline is practically baseline.

Many cardiac patients are poorly managed fluid-wise, for the simple reason that many cardiologists and PCPs suck at the task. What they call dry weight is usually a joke. Half of my so-called ARDS or acute HF patients suffer from bad doctoritis.

The anemia may have also been the cause of the acute heart failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm more concerned about the drugs that have nothing to do with me. i.e. the eye drops.

A little peripheral and interstitial edema has never stopped me from a 10-minute low risk procedure that could change outcomes. And an extra 2L/min of O2 over baseline is practically baseline.

Many cardiac patients are poorly managed fluid-wise, for the simple reason that many cardiologists and PCPs suck at the task. What they call dry weight is usually a joke. Half of my so-called ARDS or acute HF patients suffer from bad doctoritis.

The anemia may have also been the cause of the acute heart failure.

I appreciate the thoughts FFP, but this was a guy that absolutely did not pass the eyeball test. I failed to mention that his SpO2 on 4L was sub 88%, very dyspneic, could not lie flat at all. His anemia was not significant. No one may die without passing through the GI lab.

I appreciate the thoughts FFP, but this was a guy that absolutely did not pass the eyeball test. I failed to mention that his SpO2 on 4L was sub 88%, very dyspneic, could not lie flat at all. His anemia was not significant. No one may die without passing through the GI lab.
If you have an opening they have an opening...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I had a form last week in my Onc office wanting me to check a box to clear a patient for anesthetics for a “deep teeth cleaning.”

I just wrote “Oncologists don’t do that” and handed it to the patient.
I referred a patient for dental clearance prior to starting Xgeva. I got a letter in return from the dentist on the same patient asking for clearance for tooth extraction..... :cautious:

• Haha
Ouch!

I put my foot in my mouth again. Sorry! :oops:

Great, well needed rant. I love it!!

Last edited:
You do you, he does he. Y’all are different and you have your reasons and training and he has his. No need to explain. Some people like to play cowboy, some like to be safer than sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
My office mate last week did an A-line and GA with airway for a cataract last week.

I thought it was crazy - but no real alternative. Patient had horrific back pain and couldn’t tolerate lying down and had horrible aortic stenosis among other things.

• Hmm
Apparently you have never worked at a place (and they do exist) where they still want to do Asa 4 85 year old terminal stage cancer Mets to the bone wanting do elective cataracts under general anesthesia cause patient cannot tolerate laying relatively flat. Usual vascular path train wreck as well.

So there are Cataracts cases where medical evaluation is warranted.

I have canceled two cataracts. First one: 78 yo M w/ hx of recent MI /Des in the last 6 months, CHF, hemorrhagic stroke with trach/PEG four years prior, decanulated but with tracheal stenosis per wife (told intubation would be difficult), multiple bouts of aspiration PNA, PEG tube dependent for feeds and couldn’t lay flat per surgeon so would require GA. I just wasn’t going to do this at an outpatient center with no advanced airway equipment and potential for aspiration under LMA.

The other case I canceled was a spastic quad with no IV access. I tried everything to get an IV. I even placed an 18g EJ but it infiltrated. I wasn’t about to do a central line for a cataract.

99% of these people don’t need anything but topical and a calm voice.

The other 1% have bigger problems than their cataract. Or a shty surgeon.
Routinely have to tell the surgeon that yes he can do this surgery under local. He requests about 10% of these cataracts under general and would if we allowed it. There is still way too many that get general.

I
Routinely have to tell the surgeon that yes he can do this surgery under local. He requests about 10% of these cataracts under general and would if we allowed it. There is still way too many that get general.
WTF? Before topical cataracts done under retrobulbar block with propofol for the block only. GA for cataracts??

Given that patients are often terrible historians... A preop clearance from a PCP or cardiologist who actually knows the patients history is definitely useful in speeding things up.

Does it chance management? Rarely.

Given that patients are often terrible historians... A preop clearance from a PCP or cardiologist who actually knows the patients history is definitely useful in speeding things up.

Does it chance management? Rarely.

I also appreciate a detailed pre-op note from the patient's cardiologist.
What I don't appreciate is it being viewed as a ticket to ride to the OR.
Cardiology can modify my patient's risks; they can't perform my anesthetic.

• Love
I also appreciate a detailed pre-op note from the patient's cardiologist.
What I don't appreciate is it being viewed as a ticket to ride to the OR.
Cardiology can modify my patient's risks; they can't perform my anesthetic.
I welcome all cardiac and IM "clearances." I have no problem disagreeing when they are wrong and thankfully I have the trump card.

My biggest issue has been the pulmonologists who say that the patient needs mechanical ventilation after surgery, deep sedation instead of general anesthesia, etc. That situation sets up a physician note that is incriminating if the slightest thing goes wrong. It makes you look negligent if you don't do it and it goes sideways. And I find their understanding of anesthesia lacking (at least with the ones I work with) and not improved with discussion.

Reactions: 3 users
WTF? Before topical cataracts done under retrobulbar block with propofol for the block only. GA for cataracts??
Yep. So on many I take the stance that it can be done with local and sedation- no GA. And then I will have cases that I wish I'd done GA (and it isn't bc of the patient)

• Haha
I welcome all cardiac and IM "clearances." I have no problem disagreeing when they are wrong and thankfully I have the trump card.

My biggest issue has been the pulmonologists who say that the patient needs mechanical ventilation after surgery, deep sedation instead of general anesthesia, etc. That situation sets up a physician note that is incriminating if the slightest thing goes wrong. It makes you look negligent if you don't do it and it goes sideways. And I find their understanding of anesthesia lacking (at least with the ones I work with) and not improved with discussion.
I remember a pulmonologist recommending a thoracotomy be performed under MAC!

VATS can be done under MAC. Probably not a thoracotomy.

We used to do them in residency with a French trained “interventional pulmonologist”. Minor procedures like talc pleurodesis and biopsies. They were not fun. GA all the way.