Open Positions on APDS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JelloBrain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep looking at open positions on APDS (don't know why I do that, :oops:).

Texas Tech in Lubbock just stopped accepting applications for a PG-1 designated position 2-3 days ago, and Lenox Hill has just advertised an opening for a PG-1 designated position. I am assuming that as these are designated posts, the appointed person will have a full 5-year GS track. My question is as whoever joins will be at least 2 months late, if not more, in starting residency, how will that affect their progress through their residency? Will they continue to move to successive years 2 months later than their colleagues? 2-3 weeks can be adjusted using vacation time, but 2 months seems to be a lot.

This is just curiosity on my part, but I couldn't find relevant similar posts. Most posts I found were of people who had matched but had to defer their start date. I know that for all the non-designated posts vacant on APDS, this issue is moot; my question is specifically for designated vacant PG-1 posts. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I keep looking at open positions on APDS (don't know why I do that, :oops:).

Texas Tech in Lubbock just stopped accepting applications for a PG-1 designated position 2-3 days ago, and Lenox Hill has just advertised an opening for a PG-1 designated position. I am assuming that as these are designated posts, the appointed person will have a full 5-year GS track.

You have confused Designated with Categorical.

As a matter of fact, the positions listed on APDS are for Preliminary positions, not a Categorical track. Therefore, these positions are only for a year not the full GS training.

Designated Prelim positions are usually for surgical subspecialties that have to have a year of general surgery before going onto further training - ie, Ortho, ENT, etc. I suspect that either these positions never filled at these hospitals or that for some reason they did and either the new intern failed to show, quit, etc., hence the open position. We had designated prelim positions for ENT, ORTHO, Uro, Neurosurg, etc.

A non-designated Prelim position is not designated for any subspecialty and can be filled by any one needing a position for a year.

My question is as whoever joins will be at least 2 months late, if not more, in starting residency, how will that affect their progress through their residency? Will they continue to move to successive years 2 months later than their colleagues? 2-3 weeks can be adjusted using vacation time, but 2 months seems to be a lot.

This is just curiosity on my part, but I couldn't find relevant similar posts. Most posts I found were of people who had matched but had to defer their start date. I know that for all the non-designated posts vacant on APDS, this issue is moot; my question is specifically for designated vacant PG-1 posts. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

These residents will presumably finish 2 months late. This of course will impact them as they will either not be able to start PGY-2 on July 1, 2011 or will still be a PGY-1 for a couple of months until they complete enough rotations to be officially a PGY-2.

Its not really a big deal, most programs can make it work, IMHO.

Thanks WS. Just when I thought I had all residency-related nomenclature figured out!

I always thought that if a GS PG-1 position is in a designated specialty, then that specialty would be mentioned and it would be their responsibility to fill the slot. I know that NS picks their candidates who then rotate through GS during their PG-1 year. If someone from their pool is missing, it will be a NS spot vacant, though starting in GS, so NS will have to find suitable replacement. At least that's what my understanding is.

For eg: If an Ortho intern doesn't show up or quits his/her position, and their initial posting was in GS, then shouldn't the Ortho dept. cover the slot so that they have their full resident quota for the 2010 batch to continue through the remaining years of training?

I never knew that designated specialties took preliminary (super-numery/pyramidal) candidates too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks WS. Just when I thought I had all residency-related nomenclature figured out!

I always thought that if a GS PG-1 position is in a designated specialty, then that specialty would be mentioned and it would be their responsibility to fill the slot. I know that NS picks their candidates who then rotate through GS during their PG-1 year. If someone from their pool is missing, it will be a NS spot vacant, though starting in GS, so NS will have to find suitable replacement. At least that's what my understanding is.

For eg: If an Ortho intern doesn't show up or quits his/her position, and their initial posting was in GS, then shouldn't the Ortho dept. cover the slot so that they have their full resident quota for the 2010 batch to continue through the remaining years of training?

I never knew that designated specialties took preliminary (super-numery/pyramidal) candidates too.

It works different ways at different hospitals.

In some programs, the Designated Prelims are essentially owned by the GS department who "saves" them for the subspecialty. If it does not fill, the GS department (who may have the funding) is free to do what with the spot they wish. In such programs, it is usually a Department of Surgery funded position with all the subspecialties as Divisions under that umbrella.

In others, the position and the resident belong to the subspecialty and it is up to them to fill.

My program was the former - if the subspecialty did not fill the position, then GS could have it to fill the ranks of worker drones.

Designated specialties can take someone who does a Prelim elsewhere - although it may mean that person has to sit out a year (since they wouldn't have matched ahead of time into the advanced position).

Thanks so much WS. US Residency pathway is indeed complicated. I am so glad for you and SDN to guide us through this maze!