Coursework & Fieldwork Online Anatomy Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failureisnotfatal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can take anatomy and physiology with a lab online? So far, the two places that I have found that offer it online are University Of New England and the MGH Institute. I am wondering if you guys know any other places where I can take it online. I am trying to compare prices to see which program is cheaper. UNE offers each course for about $1225. MGH is a bit more expensive. My university offers them in person but they are a lot more expensive and I am planning to work over the summer. I have already gotten in touch with the schools I am planning to apply to and they are fine with taking the online courses from MGH. I haven't asked about UNE yet, but I'm sure it will be fine. I am willing to take the classes separately or together. So, if any of you took these prerequisites online at an accredited college, where did you take them? Also, do OT schools look down upon classes taken at community colleges? I am trying to take these classes at a 4 year university but if that isn't possible, I will consider the community college route as long as it won't hurt my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I can take anatomy and physiology with a lab online? So far, the two places that I have found that offer it online are University Of New England and the MGH Institute. I am wondering if you guys know any other places where I can take it online. I am trying to compare prices to see which program is cheaper. UNE offers each course for about $1225. MGH is a bit more expensive. My university offers them in person but they are a lot more expensive and I am planning to work over the summer. I have already gotten in touch with the schools I am planning to apply to and they are fine with taking the online courses from MGH. I haven't asked about UNE yet, but I'm sure it will be fine. I am willing to take the classes separately or together. So, if any of you took these prerequisites online at an accredited college, where did you take them? Also, do OT schools look down upon classes taken at community colleges? I am trying to take these classes at a 4 year university but if that isn't possible, I will consider the community college route as long as it won't hurt my application.

I know several schools I applied to did NOT accept anatomy & physiology online, so that's something you might want to rethink. I took both at my community college for about $800 each. As far as schools looking down on you, I haven't had that problem! I was definitely worried about that, too, though, and I don't think it put me at any disadvantage in the end in terms of getting accepted to schools. Don't worry about it!

I know several schools I applied to did NOT accept anatomy & physiology online, so that's something you might want to rethink. I took both at my community college for about $800 each. As far as schools looking down on you, I haven't had that problem! I was definitely worried about that, too, though, and I don't think it put me at any disadvantage in the end in terms of getting accepted to schools. Don't worry about it!

I got into contact with the specific colleges that I am applying to and they have all said that they will accept the online courses as long as they are from an accredited place. And I also have to take the lab portion of the courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I researched online A & P classes with lab and found a few but elected to not take online courses for these prerequisites because, as futureotter mentions above, many programs do not accept them or don't look favorably on them. I decided to take accelerated courses at a community college and it did not pose any problem with my being admitted into the program I applied to. The community college I attended also offers them online (non-accelerated versions) and I have found that a number of community colleges are doing so such as http://www.ccconline.org/ and http://www.otc.edu/online/online.php.

Here is a link to an online course I found at a university when I was considering taking them online:

http://www.mayvillestate.edu/prospe...ning/programs/anatomy-and-physiology-classes/

So school wont take A and P 1 and 2 if they were taken online?? Well I've taken A and P 1 and 2 online and on the transcript it doesn't say online it says Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2…….So how would they know

So school wont take A and P 1 and 2 if they were taken online?? Well I've taken A and P 1 and 2 online and on the transcript it doesn't say online it says Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2…….So how would they know

It all depends on the school. For example Boston University will take it. But other colleges say that they won't. It's all about the specific college. All of the colleges that I am applying to are willing to take it.

It all depends on the school. For example Boston University will take it. But other colleges say that they won't. It's all about the specific college. All of the colleges that I am applying to are willing to take it.
What schools are you applying too?

What schools are you applying too?

Most likely, I am just going to apply to schools here in Massachusetts. (1)American International College, (2)Bay Path College, (3)Boston University, and (4)Worcester State University. I have emailed them all and they all accept online courses. I may also apply to (5)Tufts University and (6)Springfield College. Tufts accepts some online courses but not others. I don't know about Springfield yet. I haven't looked into them too heavily. I may also apply to Texas Woman's University, but I don't know if they take online courses or not. I am emailing them about it soon. But I will definitely be apply to the 4 Massachusetts schools.

Most likely, I am just going to apply to schools here in Massachusetts. (1)American International College, (2)Bay Path College, (3)Boston University, and (4)Worcester State University. I have emailed them all and they all accept online courses. I may also apply to (5)Tufts University and (6)Springfield College. Tufts accepts some online courses but not others. I don't know about Springfield yet. I haven't looked into them too heavily. I may also apply to Texas Woman's University, but I don't know if they take online courses or not. I am emailing them about it soon. But I will definitely be apply to the 4 Massachusetts schools.
This will be my second time applying to OT school. It's been so so stressful. If I don't get in this time. I'm going to consider….nursing school or physician assistant….its so stressful……Texas Woman's University is extremely competitive……I've seen people who got rejected with high gpa's

This will be my second time applying to OT school. It's been so so stressful. If I don't get in this time. I'm going to consider….nursing school or physician assistant….its so stressful……Texas Woman's University is extremely competitive……I've seen people who got rejected with high gpa's

Well, I really hope you get in.

I've been accepted at one grad school so far with all of the prerequisites they required taken at a community college. I applied to OTCAS really late and my transcripts took a while to verify, and I think a number of schools were done looking at applications by the time they got mine.

I think most colleges don't indicate on the transcript that a class was taken online. In my opinion, a well-designed online lab might be better than a poorly designed in-person lab. A lot of my lab work was just looking at oversize models and labeling parts. My intro Biology classes had better designed/planned labs than A&P.

Some community colleges will do accelerated weekend classes, but I doubt that works for A&P.

Some community colleges will do accelerated weekend classes, but I doubt that works for A&P.

The A&P courses I took at a community college were accelerated. I had to get up at 6:00 am and drive over an hour each way on the weekends, but it was worth it getting them completed in half the time.

I took A&P II as a weekend class at a community college. 3 hours of lecture followed by 1-3 hours of lab on a Sunday afternoon during football season. I think offering the class on a weekend made the department less choosy about the faculty, so the instructor was pretty bad. On the other hand, the other students in the class were mostly pre-health professions and slightly older. They took the class more seriously.

Unfortunately, because of rush hour traffic and continuous construction, I have over an hours commute to class twice a week right now. That class isn't required by most schools, so I'm considering dropping it. That would make it easier for me to go to the AOTA convention. I've been struggling with AOTA on multiple phone calls to figure out how I can register, since apparently I can't be considered a "student" member unless I'm already enrolled in classes.

So, I have been looking for courses online and was able to find a few more places that offer A&P online.

I would strongly caution you against taking A&P online. Most schools will not accept that. I would say you should ask whatever school you are planning to attend if they will permit that to fulfill the requirements.

I would strongly caution you against taking A&P online. Most schools will not accept that. I would say you should ask whatever school you are planning to attend if they will permit that to fulfill the requirements.

Not to be rude, but please read my actual question and the thread before blindly posting a response that doesn't answer the question. I very clearly wrote (multiple times) that I have already contacted the few schools that I am applying to about this and that so far they have all said they accept online courses for anatomy as long as they are from an accredited institution and have a lab section too. I have already found two places like that, but they are on the expensive side, hence my original question: Does anyone know where I can take anatomy and physiology with a lab online? So far, the two places that I have found that offer it online are University Of New England and the MGH Institute. I am wondering if you guys know any other places where I can take it online. I am trying to compare prices to see which program is cheaper.

Personally I don't think you will learn much online; at least not as much as you could if you took it in person. If taking it in person is not an option do take it online.

Best of luck to you!