Online after finishing all prereqs, some research, etc. Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGroove

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. SDN lurker for a while, but decided to make an account for a question I have.

I’ll be graduating a small state college soon with an Associate of Science in Biology. I’ve taken all my prerequisites, have good LOR’s from professors, was a college ambassador, have shadowing experience, and two research projects with this. My grades are competitive, but I haven’t taken the MCAT yet.

I’m a non-traditional student, so I have some more expenses than a lot of students. I’m certified as an Advanced EMT, so I would like to work more to save up for future applications, various fees, and the like. I formed a good relationship with the physician I shadowed and he’s going to write a LOR as well as let me continue shadowing.

My question is this: would it be the end of the world for me to finish my last 2 years of undergrad at an online college like the University of Florida? This will give me more time to work (which is more clinical experience), volunteer, shadow, possibly get certified as a CNA (for free, woo!) and volunteer with that, save money, pay bills, etc. The college is 90 minutes away, so it takes some planning and I think online would be beneficial given my situation. Curious of your thoughts and thanks for the read!

Side note: I understand online isn’t easier. I do well with online classes. I know it’s still going to be a lot of work. No warnings on those things necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some (many?) schools that specifically state they don't want prereqs taken online and perhaps even nonprereqs as well. If I were you I'd call a handful of the schools you're thinking about (state or dream schools) and ask how they feel about this.

If I were in your shoes I'd look for an affordable nearby college for in-person courses and do my due diligence and pick courses where I can minimize the amount of time I have to be there in person. I've taken courses where I've literally learned everything on my own and only gone in for the midterm and the final.