one last question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icewoman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

I only have experience with two programs.

Wilmer (Johns Hopkins) has a nice rotation for visiting students. There's a one month elective that allows you to rotate through all the different sub-specialties. On the other hand, if you have prior ophthalmology experience, i.e. have taken a one month elective at your program, then you may be able to set-up a specialty specific rotation. I mentioned a visiting student who spent one month in neuro-ophthalmology with one attending. This one month is an awesome learning experience. You could also spend your time in medical retina, uveitis, glaucoma, cornea, etc...

The other program is Iowa. Iowa allows visiting students to structure their own experiences. We have many students who come and spend time in general clinic and/or a specialty clinic. When visiting students do well, it makes a big impact on the faculty and residents here.

We recently had a visiting student from England who spent one month at Iowa and then went to Wilmer for another month.

Perhaps other SDNers from different programs will post their experiences here.