On average...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunz580

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the expected salary for an MD and DO coming directly out of school? Also, is the salary enough to keep up with payments for loans. I figure it would be, and I'm looking at generalalities. If anyone that is new to the field has some info, please chime in. I'm just trying to get a feel. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the expected salary for an MD and DO coming directly out of school? Also, is the salary enough to keep up with payments for loans. I figure it would be, and I'm looking at generalalities. If anyone that is new to the field has some info, please chime in. I'm just trying to get a feel. Thanks.

do some reading on this via google. the question is way too broad. Yes in general the salary is enough to keep up on the loans, look at a mortgage calculator and put in 200K at 6%. See what type of montly payments you can expect if interest rates rise, then find a what is my takehome pay calculator to see what your state/federal tax burden will look like after you find your average salary on salary.com.

my estimate for minimum salary of an attending is $125-150k. but then again, i'm just a pre-med...
That's a good way to start off. That's the low end in like primary care. Depending on how much you'll have in loan payments (check your notes) and use LaDoc's advice for figuring out your mortgage payments, you should be fine as long as you don't "spulrge" too much during med school and residency.

Now if you are talking "fresh" out of school into residency, most that I know defer their loans from med school as making $40K a year isn't enough to maintain their current loan payment. They claim hardship and can get them deferred supposedly.