OMT focus in EM/IM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperHero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd year DO student looking to into EM/IM. During this year I have found a new appreciation for OMT and its clinical effectiveness. I would like to possibly attend an EM/IM residency program which shows some emphasis on OMT. Now obviously that will only happen with an osteopathic programs, which I have looked into, but I don't know exactly how much manipulation is actually taught at these various osteopathic program.
Is it worth me attending an osteopathic program for the maniputation that is taught, or lack there of, or should I just pursue an allopathic program (which right now my number 1 choice is one) and then keep that skill up on my own.
Any insight would be appreciated, THANKs!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 3rd year DO student looking to into EM/IM. During this year I have found a new appreciation for OMT and its clinical effectiveness. I would like to possibly attend an EM/IM residency program which shows some emphasis on OMT. Now obviously that will only happen with an osteopathic programs, which I have looked into, but I don't know exactly how much manipulation is actually taught at these various osteopathic program.
Is it worth me attending an osteopathic program for the maniputation that is taught, or lack there of, or should I just pursue an allopathic program (which right now my number 1 choice is one) and then keep that skill up on my own.

If you really like OMT, I'd look at programs like PM&R or maybe Osteopathic Family Medicine. The ED is a busy place, and honestly OMT has no place in an emergency medicine setting. Worst case scenario: you're going to be trying a completely futile therapeutic modality on people who are sick enough to have more pressing needs. Best case scenario: you're going to be taking time away from those people to try it on someone else who doesn't belong in the ED in the first place. End result is the same.

I'm about 2 years late to respond, but St. Barnabas has integrated OMM into the ED, from what I've heard.

I'm also two years late (and it looks like the OP has switched to meds/peds and MPH), but people can also consider NMM+1 to round out their interests following completion of another residency.