OMS Terminology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktcook83

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS residents or others,

I was just curious about a few terms I've heard residents/OMS hopefuls using to describe programs:

malignant - ?

benign - ?

country club - Im guessing laid back, cush residencies doing mostly dentoalveolar with little exposure to cancer, orthognathics, cosmetics, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

ktcook83 said:
OMS residents or others,

I was just curious about a few terms I've heard residents/OMS hopefuls using to describe programs:

malignant - ?

benign - ?

country club - Im guessing laid back, cush residencies doing mostly dentoalveolar with little exposure to cancer, orthognathics, cosmetics, etc?

Malignant is the attendings yell a lot, wear you down. In my opinion not a great way to learn.

Benign is the opposite.

Country club is usually used to describe a program in which there is very little or easy call, not long hours, nice hospital and clinic. This does not mean in any way it is a bad program.

Some places are stronger in some subjects than others, weaker in other subjects than others, but staying at the hospital overnight for one more facial space abcess will not make me a better oral surgeon, it just makes me tired the next day.

Where are the country club programs? :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clearing that up north2south.

Stanford Fencer said:

I've heard that UCLA and Mayo are pretty "country club".

Mayo was very country club when I externed there. But then again, that was several years ago and they have some new faculty now. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Stanford Fencer said:
Galveston and Parkland

ajmacgregor said:
I've heard that UCLA and Mayo are pretty "country club".
I can attest first hand that Mayo is not a country club by any means!! My first week was tough. I was on call all week and it was busy as hell. We only take 2 interns a year and this year have only 1 chief. There are rumors here that they are probably going to take an extra intern next year because there is too much work. We are even having 2nd yr ENT residents rotate with our service, so you can see we have respect within the hospital. We interns take call every other week. They have 5 fulltime consultants and we are operating 5 days a week as well as trauma OR cases on weekends. We do all trauma here not just mandibles like everyone says. We have a head & neck cancer surgeon on staff trained from Oregon and he is doing tons of cases. We also run an outpt clinic 5 days a week and we usually have 5 3rd molar cases in the AM and 5 in the PM along with other procedures. We have one surgeon here who dose some cosmetics. The rumor I heard before I came here is that the residents don't do much but the outgoing interns are routinely cutting half the orthagnathic cases and harvesting hips by themselves, which I feel is alot for an intern who is usually just acting as a secretary. The medical knowledge of the residents here is unreal. Mayo provides an unbeatable medical education. We also see pts with rare diseases, since Mayo is often the last resort for alot of pts or the first place they go. I have to admit I was hoping that Mayo would be a bit more laid back then most programs but I was wrong. My 1st week which was only a 4 day business week required ~100hrs, and I was told this was a light week. So I wouldn't consider it country club anymore. I think Mayo heard those rumors and are making a change.
I feel it is one of the best programs in the country. We operate in one of the best hospitals in the world where ancillary staff handles all the scut work while we get to worry about the operating. We get a private practice envirnment unlike any other. Some of the wealthiest people from all over the world travel here to have their work done. We do tons of implants and residents have even said that 3rd molar cases get boring quick since they do so many of them everyday. We get a free medical education and are treated very well. The only thing I dislike is wearing a suit everyday.

tjb

tjb said:
I can attest first hand that Mayo is not a country club by any means!! My first week was tough. I was on call all week and it was busy as hell. We only take 2 interns a year and this year have only 1 chief. There are rumors here that they are probably going to take an extra intern next year because there is too much work. We are even having 2nd yr ENT residents rotate with our service, so you can see we have respect within the hospital. We interns take call every other week. They have 5 fulltime consultants and we are operating 5 days a week as well as trauma OR cases on weekends. We do all trauma here not just mandibles like everyone says. We have a head & neck cancer surgeon on staff trained from Oregon and he is doing tons of cases. We also run an outpt clinic 5 days a week and we usually have 5 3rd molar cases in the AM and 5 in the PM along with other procedures. We have one surgeon here who dose some cosmetics. The rumor I heard before I came here is that the residents don't do much but the outgoing interns are routinely cutting half the orthagnathic cases and harvesting hips by themselves, which I feel is alot for an intern who is usually just acting as a secretary. The medical knowledge of the residents here is unreal. Mayo provides an unbeatable medical education. We also see pts with rare diseases, since Mayo is often the last resort for alot of pts or the first place they go. I have to admit I was hoping that Mayo would be a bit more laid back then most programs but I was wrong. My 1st week which was only a 4 day business week required ~100hrs, and I was told this was a light week. So I wouldn't consider it country club anymore. I think Mayo heard those rumors and are making a change.
I feel it is one of the best programs in the country. We operate in one of the best hospitals in the world where ancillary staff handles all the scut work while we get to worry about the operating. We get a private practice envirnment unlike any other. Some of the wealthiest people from all over the world travel here to have their work done. We do tons of implants and residents have even said that 3rd molar cases get boring quick since they do so many of them everyday. We get a free medical education and are treated very well. The only thing I dislike is wearing a suit everyday.

tjb
That's a different experience from what I remember as an extern and it sounds like things have changed for the better. It was about 6 years ago I externed there and a lot can change.

I remember wearing the suit and that was a big turnoff for me at several programs. But that's no reflection on the clinical training, just my bias.

tjb said:
The only thing I dislike is wearing a suit everyday.

tjb

...ouch! I guess you guys and alabama get voted "best dressed" for residents. (also "most poor" for having to buy all those dress clothes)

Also good to hear that Mayo has nutted up and is expanding scope. Good luck and I'm sure you'll get a great education there. Have fun with all 4 years of med school........ :)

north2southOMFS said:
...Have fun with all 4 years of med school........ :)

Anything more than 2 is too much for me...1.5 is better...

River13 said:
Anything more than 2 is too much for me...1.5 is better...

amen to that, 13 months is more than enough for me

When one does a 6yr OMS residency, do you just have to take Step 1? Or do you also take Step 2 or 3 too? :confused:

ktcook83 said:
When one does a 6yr OMS residency, do you just have to take Step 1? Or do you also take Step 2 or 3 too? :confused:
All of the above.

toofache32 said:
All of the above.

Thanks for the reply. I happened to come across the answer to my question today inadvertently when I was on DentalTown.

You take step 1,2,2CS, and 3....

P.S. Step1 was the most difficult exam I think I have ever taken; made the dental boards look like a joke.