OMS Interview Q + A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorDMD

Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since my 1st interview is rapidly approaching (10/26 at UKY) what are some good questions to prepare for? I also want to get residents idea of how to answer... "Since you applied to 4 and 6 yr programs, which to you prefer and why?" Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If a train leaves Chicago going 87 mph, and another train.....

GatorDMD said:
"Since you applied to 4 and 6 yr programs, which to you prefer and why?"

6 year OMFS: "I wanted a backdoor into med school."
4 year OMFS: "I wanted a backdoor into OMFS."

of course i am just kidding........ :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. :confused: I get your point.

I'd say something like, "I applied to the best OMS programs in the country. Some happen to be 4 year and some are 6 year. I'm concerned less with the degree/duration and more with the quality of training I'll receive as it fits in with my goals."

Maybe that's a lame response. I'll leave it to the OMS residents to critique it. Best I can come up with. I'll probably be a 4 year applicant.

GatorDMD said:
Since my 1st interview is rapidly approaching (10/26 at UKY) what are some good questions to prepare for? I also want to get residents idea of how to answer... "Since you applied to 4 and 6 yr programs, which to you prefer and why?" Any help is appreciated.

Expect ethical questions, personal questions, questions to make you squirm-not necessarily because they are interested in the answer but in how you respond to direct/honest interaction. The interview exists for personal factors no paper can transmit. What kind of presence do you have. How do you make others feel. We had a female last year interview here who was intimidating (acted competitive) with the other applicants! She was a little snippy in her interaction with other applicants and gave curt replies. Others tried to lighten the environment and she took it personally. I LEARNED alot about the different personalities of those during that day. I'm sure she matched. She was a good applicant. I talked to her later and I think I understand her stress. Still her core personality couldn't be hidden. I will offer this advice. Your presence is an important part of that brief experience. Your dress I believe is critical. If you've never tied a tie before get some lessons. If you've never ironed before, talk to your mama. Ask your grandpappy how to shine shoes. I won't say any more.

If you applied to four year programs, they want to hear about how you don't really need to do the MD to do OMS.
If you applied to six year programs, they want to hear that it is necessary and useful to do the MD with OMS.

The more apppropriate thing is, if you are interviewing at both, to focus on the individual program and basically tell them what they want to hear. You should be able to make the decision on whether or not you want the MD in your match list.

drhobie7 said:
I'd say something like, "I applied to the best OMS programs in the country. Some happen to be 4 year and some are 6 year. I'm concerned less with the degree/duration and more with the quality of training I'll receive as it fits in with my goals."

Maybe that's a lame response. I'll leave it to the OMS residents to critique it. Best I can come up with. I'll probably be a 4 year applicant.
That's a good answer in my opinion...

Gator, I'll be asking you this question when you get here, and you better not use Hobie's answer... :laugh: