OMFS interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorDMD

Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone out there get any interview calls yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I hope not, I just got my dean's letter done yesterday!!! I'm pretty pissed right now, I've had everything else done for 2 months! I hope no one hears for a few weeks.

GatorDMD said:
anyone out there get any interview calls yet?
When I was applying last year, I didn't start getting any calls until after the second week of September. I ended up getting 13 of 16, so I think you've got some time before you should start to get worried. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFSCardsFan said:
When I was applying last year, I didn't start getting any calls until after the second week of September. I ended up getting 13 of 16, so I think you've got some time before you should start to get worried. Best of luck.

1. What questions were asked?
2. Anything academic asked?
3. How long did it go on for?

Thanks! :) :)

whiteE8 said:
2. Anything academic asked?
3. How long did it go on for?
1. Every program asks different kinds of questions. In my opinion, you can tell a lot about a program by the kinds of questions asked. I had everything from what I liked to do on the weekends to what the most memorable experience of my life was to what the worst experience of my life was, etc, etc.
2. UMKC was the only school that asked me academic questions. They asked me to orally perform a third molar surgery on a piece of paper, step by step. When I started explaining how I was going to make my incision, the attending emphatically said, "The patient is now screaming!" Are you kidding me? The chief asked me if I knew the difference between orbital apex syndrome and orbital fissure syndrome. I had no choice but to punch him in the face. Another resident asked me to diagnose mandible fractures on a panorex. Another attending asked me about Ludwig's angina. I chose not to rank them. Just about every place asked where I pictured myself in ten years, to which I answered, "In private practice." A lot of people said academics, and they may have all really wanted to do academics (which would be great for me since I'll be the only guy in private practice). I doubt that everyone was being totally honest. Be honest.
3. I'm not sure what you mean--length of interviews or how long into December. Every interview was different. I had everything from 15 min with each attending and resident to a 1 hour interview in front of everyone at one time, without a table in front of my chair. Expect the interview process to last at least one day. Some are two day interviews. I declined those. My first interview was in the end of October, and my last was the first week of December.

My best advice: don't be scared or intimidated. Look people in the eye. Speak confidently. Don't be afraid to say that you don't know. Be honest. Bring the residents a couple cases of beer. If you didn't realize that the beer is a joke, then you have some serious relaxing to do before interviewing.

Good luck.

I can't emphasize too much the art of saying "I don't know". The "road to Hell" in OMFS is paved by "good intentions" of "I think that....(open mouth-insert foot)". If you don't know, rock solid certain-and say it succinctly, then bow out with "I don't know". Externs, interns, interviewies and rookies get bated into getting "involuntary anal dilation" by running their mouths off trying to impress someone. Attendings and senior residents wait like lions for a wounded mouse when the younglings start "oral extrapolations of the deep mysteries of OMFS". Now lets all practice together... "I don't know". See how much better you feel! It goes against the "gunner-I-am-a-sharp-dental-student" mentality, but in this realm you are "a-meek-and-delicate-fawn".

here is another question. if you got LOR's from program directors and chairs where you externed... do you think they would offer an interview?

OMFSCardsFan said:
a 1 hour interview in front of everyone at one time, without a table in front of my chair.
Sounds like Nebraska.

GatorDMD said:
here is another question. if you got LOR's from program directors and chairs where you externed... do you think they would offer an interview?
I have no idea. I didn't even think to ask the UAB attendings for LORs, but I got an interview there. That was my only externship. I guess if you don't get an interview at a school that gave you a rec, you have to start wondering what they put in the letter, eh?

GatorDMD said:

I dunno if I would necessarily get LOR's from those guys, they really don't know you that well. But logically they should. Too bad interviews aren't really logical.

Sorry to hijack this thread for a little. But for some of you that have already matched, did you see any applicants on the interview trail that had been out in private practice for a couple of years prior to applying to OS residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMMD said:
Sorry to hijack this thread for a little. But for some of you that have already matched, did you see any applicants on the interview trail that had been out in private practice for a couple of years prior to applying to OS residencies?
Yeah, a couple. I don't know if they matched, though. They seemed like good guys with solid communication skills, which is more than you can say for some of the applicants.

The feeling I got from most of the guys who had been out for a couple of years is that programs kinda looked down on them a little... But I have seen a few get in, and they are doing superb from what I hear.

toofache32 said:
Sounds like Nebraska.

Oh, i hated that $hit at nebraska. That panel interview is the most ******ed interview style known to man. They also did that to me at UF-Jax and Highland hospital in Oakland.

Just for making me sit through one of those panel interviews......"I fart in their general direction."

Peace out.

OMFSCardsFan said:
They asked me to orally perform a third molar surgery on a piece of paper, step by step. When I started explaining how I was going to make my incision, the attending emphatically said, "The patient is now screaming!" Are you kidding me?
It's like they had a crystal ball looking into your future.

tx oms said:
It's like they had a crystal ball looking into your future.
Now that was a good one. You finally strayed from your normal "your mom" and "you like boys" to come up with an original slam that was actually funny.

:) anyone out there get calls yet? Just want to keep this thread alive in case someone wants to post. :)

GatorDMD said:
:) anyone out there get calls yet? Just want to keep this thread alive in case someone wants to post. :)
Why would any programs call right now since the earliest program deadlines out there hadn't even expired yet. Programs don't even review applications until the deadline dates are over or at least a bit before the deadline.

Sh1t, half the programs out there don't even know when their exact interview dates are at this point. You'll have to sit tight until the end of September at the earliest to hear from anyone, but majority probably won't notify applicants about interviews until October.

At this time, the only thing you can do is to contact all programs you've applied to see if your application is complete or not. We'll have to wait for couple of months now to hear if we're invited.

BTW, I've listed all the programs that I've applied to in my thread, which ones you've applied to that we may possibly run into one another? PM me those programs. Like to get smashed with you post interview at one of those places if we both get interviews there.

Yah-E said:
You'll have to sit tight until the end of September at the earliest to hear from anyone, but majority probably won't notify applicants about interviews until October.

i would not be so sure of that if I were you ;)

Yah-E said:
You'll have to sit tight until the end of September at the earliest to hear from anyone, but majority probably won't notify applicants about interviews until October.

Last year, one program (forgot name) was interviewing in early september. You should be expecting interview letters/emails/phone calls between early september to mid/late november.

I may have heard that a few programs interview after the winter break......I dunno if they still do that.

Hey guys, What kind of averages and board scores do you have to have to get into an OMFS residency program?

Do a search....this question has been asked innumerable times. None of us here is a program director. We can all cite our own stats are those of folks we know have gotten in....essentially, though, if you genuinely have the desire and motivation you'll find a way to get in eventually so instead of worrying about what averages you need spend your time demonstrating your commitment

whiteE8 said:
At two programs they asked what I would do if I came in the clinic late one night and found the chief resident using the nitrous. The wrong answers are:

1. Take out his 3rds
2. Grab a hose

toofache32 said:
At two programs they asked what I would do if I came in the clinic late one night and found the chief resident using the nitrous. The wrong answers are:

1. Take out his 3rds
2. Grab a hose

Oh bro, that's a green light! Grab another mask for sure!