OMFS application submit or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GatorDMD

Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a problem. I have been done with my application for 3+ weeks but I have not gotten my match number and last LOR. Should I send in my application today or waithe 1 more week it will take to get the match # to submit my app? How critical is getting in my application material by one week?
any recommendations from knowledgeable peeps is appreciated (ie.. residents)

Members don't see this ad.

you may send them in w/o the number pal, then just call the program when you get it. you have already missed the deadline for some programs and miss ones on your list you would like to aplly to.

Prior planning prevents piss-poor performance.

Jawfixer said:
you may send them in w/o the number pal, then just call the program when you get it. you have already missed the deadline for some programs and miss ones on your list you would like to aplly to.

no deadlines missed yet for any school I am applying to. The ones that say July 4th deadline were all wrong. Thanks. I guess I should send it in NOW! let me find my credit card!

Members don't see this ad :)
Jawfixer said:

I know I am a slacker. a bum. but in my defense...
I sent my match number in 2 weeks ago. They still have not sent me my freagin #.

I didn't get my PASS all squared away and mailed from PASS to my schools until early September. I applied to 16 schools, and got 13 interviews. I didn't get one at OHSU, UNC, and Emory (they would only offer me an interview for the 4-year program). Some of my deadlines said September 1, but I still got interviews at them even though my app didn't make it by then. Some of the earlier deadlines when I applied were Louisville, Nebraska, and Houston. I still got interviews at them. Don't stress out about it.

You can, however, mail it all in, and call the schools to give them your match number when you get it. They don't need it until December or January, when they submit the lists.

OMFSCardsFan said:
I didn't get my PASS all squared away and mailed from PASS to my schools until early September. I applied to 16 schools, and got 13 interviews. I didn't get one at OHSU, UNC, and Emory (they would only offer me an interview for the 4-year program). Some of my deadlines said September 1, but I still got interviews at them even though my app didn't make it by then. Some of the earlier deadlines when I applied were Louisville, Nebraska, and Houston. I still got interviews at them. Don't stress out about it.

You can, however, mail it all in, and call the schools to give them your match number when you get it. They don't need it until December or January, when they submit the lists.

so i take it one week wont screw me in the "first come first interview" theme of applying? The only reason I wanted to wait was because it would seem like a hassle to call and send more crap to schools for the match # and they may lose it or something.

On another note, why do you think those schools only offered you a 4 year interivew? undergrad grades? NBDE?

Call the match people and find out what the heck happened to your match # application. Duh. I got my number by e-mail within 3 days of mailing the application to Canada, I was surprised at how quick they were. Even if you sent it to the US address, I doubt they still haven't gotten the application 2 weeks later.

griffin04 said:
Call the match people and find out what the heck happened to your match # application. Duh. I got my number by e-mail within 3 days of mailing the application to Canada, I was surprised at how quick they were. Even if you sent it to the US address, I doubt they still haven't gotten the application 2 weeks later.

ok i am an idiot and sent it to the US address. I called and called and emailed them and they said they have not gotten yet bc they only get shipments from the US address 1x a week. they said maybe this wednesday. Man i wish i would have read the fine print.

GatorDMD said:
it would seem like a hassle to call and send more crap to schools for the match # and they may lose it or something.

On another note, why do you think those schools only offered you a 4 year interivew? undergrad grades? NBDE?

You're going to be mailing things to programs regardless...photos, transcripts, etc. Even if you've sent everything that they have on the apps, there will still be extra stuff. Make sure you call all the programs anyway just to confirm that they've received everything they need.

Emory offered me a four-year spot, due to undergrad grades. The other two just didn't offer anything.

OMFSCardsFan said:
You're going to be mailing things to programs regardless...photos, transcripts, etc. Even if you've sent everything that they have on the apps, there will still be extra stuff. Make sure you call all the programs anyway just to confirm that they've received everything they need.

Emory offered me a four-year spot, due to undergrad grades. The other two just didn't offer anything.

i sent in my applicaton and mailed in the application material such as picture, etc. Pass told me i can fax in my match number when i get it.

OMFSCardsFan said:
What were your stats?

Not all programs hold to their application "deadlines". Parkland had a really early one and my transcripts from dental school weren't even available until a couple of weeks later. I called the secretary and she said send it anyway.

It's in the program's best interest to take as many applications as possible. This increases the applicant pool and gives them a greater choice.

Don't sweat it. If in doubt, just call the program and ask the secretary. I guarantee you that it won't be the first time she's heard the question.