Older applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Love you123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I am 47 years old and will be applying to medical school within the next year
I have a graduate degree from my past in the medical field and feel all the comments about age is ridiculous. I am highly qualified and feel I will make a wonderful physician even graduating when I’m in my late 50’s. I am a firm believer in what you put your mind to you can achieve. Good luck to all the older applicants!! Don’t stop for no one

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I am one of the younger members new to this group and find it ridiculous and honestly disgusting that people can sit behind a screen and pass judgement (passing it off as advice telling people to "give it up" and "the ship has sailed") on individuals based solely on their lack of "early" completion of pre-reqs and the criterion that set you up for success in the medical field. I guess it's based on the assumption that there's only a handful of ways to be successful because of the "sTaTiStiCs, yet no one knows anyone's story or the journey they may have taken to get them to the level they're at today. Who cares how old someone is. In all honesty no one's road is the tell all be all way to go and I pray that all of the older applicants don't let these young fools stir up any doubt in your ability to reach your goals. Cause most of the forums I'm on have older applicants in them as I too am a non-traditional student. So keep it up they just hating trying to get you out of the way as competition frfr. I'm 25 and I'm letting you know YOU'RE NOT TOO OLD BOO!
Tea Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon
sipping serving tea GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Reactions: 1 user
I am one of the younger members new to this group and find it ridiculous and honestly disgusting that people can sit behind a screen and pass judgement (passing it off as advice telling people to "give it up" and "the ship has sailed") on individuals based solely on their lack of "early" completion of pre-reqs and the criterion that set you up for success in the medical field. I guess it's based on the assumption that there's only a handful of ways to be successful because of the "sTaTiStiCs, yet no one knows anyone's story or the journey they may have taken to get them to the level they're at today. Who cares how old someone is. In all honesty no one's road is the tell all be all way to go and I pray that all of the older applicants don't let these young fools stir up any doubt in your ability to reach your goals. Cause most of the forums I'm on have older applicants in them as I too am a non-traditional student. So keep it up they just hating trying to get you out of the way as competition frfr. I'm 25 and I'm letting you know YOU'RE NOT TOO OLD BOO!
Tea Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon
sipping serving tea GIF by Robert E Blackmon
Well, while age is a number, as someone who is in their 60s, I can tell you that at some point, your body betrays you.

Reactions: 2 users