OK, just heard about this field, what would you say?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannaberad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I ran into a resident at my school who said I should check out Rad Onc & set up a meeting with the chairman at our dept. to do so (it's relatively small so this might be feasible). I'm wondering what you folks have to say about the field in general...I'm planning on another field but am curious about what Rad Onc might have to offer.

How does this differ from Rads and what are its strengths and weaknesses as a field?

In terms of credentials: Mostly Hs preclinical, now doing a year of research before clinical. State school, very good BS(260/99), 1 paper published before med school and possibly another one on the way. I imagine this is doable but I hear this field is even harder than Rads so you never know.

Members don't see this ad.

consider
1) why meet with a chairman at this point if there is no real interest? Talk with residents (here's a good place to start) before going high up

2) DO NOT ask the chairman the difference between radonc and radiology. Aside from the word fragment "rad" there is not much similarity. Its like asking an attending internist if he's an intern.

3) fyi radiology is a diagnostic field (interventional radiology does have limited patient contact but is a fellowship speciality of radiology) while radonc is a field that is primarily oncology: you take care of (mostly) cancer patients and your drug is radiation (as opposed to, say, chemotherapy or even surgery as the therapeutic modality).

Go from there.

I agree with Steph...why set up a meeting with the chairman if you're not sure if you're going into rad onc much less know what the field is about? You go to to the Chairman with intent, not for clarification. Perhaps you could have done that 10 years ago, when they were hungry for applicants, but not anymore.

A Diagnostic Radiologist is more akin to a Pathologist whereas a Rad Onc is more like an internist with possible voodoo capabilities (i.e. brachytherapy). The only similarity between us is the requirement to pass the biophysics board.

You need to first sit down and think whether you'd prefer to be an analyst or a clinician. Don't let the word "radiation" confuse you to think that these two fields have any clinical commonality.

Members don't see this ad :)
you folks have kept me from looking very stupid. thank you very much :D