OHSU C/O 2009!!!!! Sweet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mistress S said:
Yeah, I guess I should. I really would like to have the peace of mind before I go, but I don't want to be annoying. Maybe it's too late for that already though. ;)

So you're thinking about buying a townhouse, Ambs? That's great! How can you afford it though? Buying a place would be nice, but I don't see how I could while living off of loans. Are you doing it by yourself, or with someone else (someone with a stable income and good credit history, perhaps)? Not trying to be nosy, just wondering how this can be done as a student. You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

I PMed you. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

FYI - It appears OHSU is finally sending finaid awards, as I just received mine today. Budget for in-state: $53,216

Was anyone else asked to submit copies of their tax returns and W-2's before they received their financial aid awards?

Today I received a letter stating that my fin aid application had been selected for "independent verification" and I have to submit the above documents.

Beyond the further delay, is this something to be worried about? :(

As I submitted my FAFSA early, had my tax return prepared by a professional, and paid my taxes on time and in full, I don't know what the problem could be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got my fin aid offer yesterday- yeah! And today I got a bunch of orientation info, including the very handy "handbook of sage advice" that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. As far as the independent verification thing, I think it's just random who gets selected for it--I for one was not asked to provide anything else.

It's nice to finally have some concrete info to work with as far as schedule and budget for the next year--but also kind of scary! OHSU is supposed to be more laid-back as far as the academic schedule goes, and 8-12 classes aren't so bad, but then twice a week you actually have 8-5 obligations (classes + PCM and preceptorship) and if you to take electives, which I would like to, you'll probably be in class at least one more afternoon a week. And then you still have to study outside of class- a lot! For one of the first-year classes (systems, processes, and homeostasis) students reported studying an average of 60 hours per week during exam weeks (and there are 3 exams during that 9 week section). I'm not trying to sound whiny or naive, I knew med school would be a lot of work and I'm sure we'll all get through it fine. I'm just able to see now in more specific terms what is meant by "a lot of work." And it obviously doesn't get easier the next year. Also, the debt load is frightening, although not as bad as I had feared (due to a scholarship though, not the tuition--over $35,000/yr tuition + fees for instate?! :eek: Here's hoping the legislature restores some funding to OHSU this session!).

On another note, the first 2 weeks look pretty chill as far as gently easing us into classes, and I like the fact that the orientation schedule sets aside time for "coffee & donuts" every morning. :thumbup: And it sounds like the 2nd year students do a lot to help us prepare, like the handbook, exam prep, and assigning us a "big sib" in the fall, which will be very helpful as I have a lot of questions they can help answer. There are also a lot of planned activities--BBQ's, ski trip, a winter formal(!)--to help us get to know each other. It looks like the high school experience I was too busy experimenting with illegal substances to have! :laugh:

Yay, Mistress, you got your package! :D Thanks for all that info too! I'm really excited though also terrified. :p

I'm anxious to get mine now. It should probably arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hey guys -

Do you have any idea of what the dates of our exams will be? Is there any sort of exam schedule?

Thanks!

Vinniemac888 said:
Hey guys -

Do you have any idea of what the dates of our exams will be? Is there any sort of exam schedule?

Thanks!

:confused: Sorry, but I have no idea. I don't want to be thinking about exams just yet!

This thread is getting :sleep:

What's everyone been up to lately!? Because I am currently unemployed and uninterested in anything productive or intellectually stimulating, I have devoted much of my existence to sleeping, eating, shopping, and movies. :laugh:

Ambs said:
What's everyone been up to lately!?

I'm currently in cleveland visiting my family and remembering why I flew 3000 miles away seven years ago.

Being in cleveland means three things: heat, humidity and cedar point (aka ROLLER COASTERS!!!)

can't wait to be back in portland however

Hello Everyone, I hope that everyone enjoyed a happy fourth. I spent mine with my family, small town celebration with a parade and rodeo. Interestingly enough, my financial aid package had been sent to my parent's home when most of the stuff, up until now, had come directly to me. Out of State budget is 56,717. I have a few ?'s for everyone.

Mistress - Did the packet of orientation info come with the fin aid or separately? And has anyone else received it? All I know about orientation, I have heard from you guys. Also, what is that SAGE book?

Has anyone heard about scholarships from OHSU?

And, where and when do we need to send in our college transcripts?

Have a great rest of the summer everyone. (My last day of work is scheduled as August 12th) Thanks

Idaho grown said:
Hello Everyone, I hope that everyone enjoyed a happy fourth. I spent mine with my family, small town celebration with a parade and rodeo. Interestingly enough, my financial aid package had been sent to my parent's home when most of the stuff, up until now, had come directly to me. Out of State budget is 56,717. I have a few ?'s for everyone.

Mistress - Did the packet of orientation info come with the fin aid or separately? And has anyone else received it? All I know about orientation, I have heard from you guys. Also, what is that SAGE book?

Have a great rest of the summer everyone. (My last day of work is scheduled as August 12th) Thanks

I got the orientation packet the day after I received my finaid. The sage book is a book of tips and general advice from the class of 2008 to the class of 2009. It includes things like what books they found useful and which ones nobody bought, etc. From what I've heard, scholarships applications will be available much later in the year. I sent in my transcripts to the office of admissions, the same address that we sent our application stuff to:

Oregon Health & Science University
School of Medicine
Office of Admissions, L102
3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road
Portland, OR, 97239-3098

The letter they sent out to me a long time ago says that they just need to have transcripts in by aug 15.

Idaho grown said:

I also received my orientation info the day after I got the fin aid stuff. I was notified about a scholarship from OHSU, but I didn't apply for it (they told me on the phone they just pick 3 people for it each year, no idea why they picked me). I know later in the year we can apply for some kind of DHS scholarship or grant (not sure which), but that apparently won't be until after fall term. I had forgotten about sending in the college transcripts--I'll have to do that!

Mistress S said:
I also received my orientation info the day after I got the fin aid stuff. I was notified about a scholarship from OHSU, but I didn't apply for it (they told me on the phone they just pick 3 people for it each year, no idea why they picked me). I know later in the year we can apply for some kind of DHS scholarship or grant (not sure which), but that apparently won't be until after fall term. I had forgotten about sending in the college transcripts--I'll have to do that!

Wow, that is awesome about the scholarship! Congratulations!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any info on which books they are buying before school starts and from where you will be buying these books?

jmk said:
anyone have any info on which books they are buying before school starts and from where you will be buying these books?

When you get the handbook that comes with the orientation packet, it discusses which books are useful and which ones last year's class thought were a waste of money. So I would wait until you have that to decide which books to order, and then just shop around for the best price!

I got the packet. I was just wondering which books each of us decided to get and I figured we could share info on "shoping around". Might as well start the class sharing now ;)

jmk said:
I got the packet. I was just wondering which books each of us decided to get and I figured we could share info on "shoping around". Might as well start the class sharing now ;)

Sorry, I didn't know if you had received that info yet. I, for one, am going to have to wait until Aug to buy books--I'm leaving on a trip 7/13 and won't be back in Portland until 8/12, since all my $$ is going to the trip (and the euro is much stronger than the dollar, unfortunately :( ) I don't have anything to spend on books now. If people have already started buying books and have info to share, I'd be happy to hear it also!

where are you going? I hope it is some place fun!

Hey jmk, I'm going to Spain, Italy, and Morocco, so I'm pretty excited! I've never been to Europe before. My BF and I are going to spend 4 weeks traveling around. On the not so great side, I'm probably going to be flat broke from when I get back until we get our fin aid $ (not until 8/30! :( ), and I will only have 3 days to get over jet lag and ready for school. But I think it will be worth it! Anyone else have fun plans for our last month or so of freedom?

Mistress S said:
Hey jmk, I'm going to Spain, Italy, and Morocco, so I'm pretty excited! I've never been to Europe before. My BF and I are going to spend 4 weeks traveling around. On the not so great side, I'm probably going to be flat broke from when I get back until we get our fin aid $ (not until 8/30! :( ), and I will only have 3 days to get over jet lag and ready for school. But I think it will be worth it! Anyone else have fun plans for our last month or so of freedom?

Have fun and be safe! See you at orientation! :D

Thanks Ambs! I'll keep you updated. See you soon! :)

wow so on the ohsu web site they are up to wait list #65. That is half of our class. Now I realize that not everyone who is given an acceptance off the wait list accepts a place but still...

wonder if we will have someone in our class who was accepted the day before classes start? Which make me wonder, does anyone know our official first day of class? Is it the 23rd, the first day of GIR? or is it the following monday?

this kind of wondering what happens when I spend all day at home rather than at work, or studying!

jmk said:
wow so on the ohsu web site they are up to wait list #65. That is half of our class. Now I realize that not everyone who is given an acceptance off the wait list accepts a place but still...

wonder if we will have someone in our class who was accepted the day before classes start? Which make me wonder, does anyone know our official first day of class? Is it the 23rd, the first day of GIR? or is it the following monday?

this kind of wondering what happens when I spend all day at home rather than at work, or studying!

Hello :)

I think that usually half of the class is from the waitlist, and in past years, they have made it in the 60s. It may be a little higher this year because of the considerable tuition increase.

Our official first day of class is August 29th. Mon, August 15 and Tues, Aug 16 are both orientation days, with Wed, Thurs, and Fri being off. The following week is orientation, like a part II.

Has everyone been reading the emails from the class listserv? It's really nice to get to know people beforehand! Our class seems very interesting and diverse. Also, I'm not sure if you guys are athletic, but wow, the people sending out emails so far are pretty "outdoorsy" and athletic. Anyone else like me who likes to get their decent amount of exercise but also enjoy some fine dining and shopping!? :p

When is everybody getting into town? Would anybody be interested in having a pre-class get-together? Maybe the weekend before orientation? We could go out to dinner/bar/something else in the city!

Hey you crazy OHSU'ers - are any of you out-of-state students entering through the MD/MPH program? I'm currently applying for the program (a CA resident) and I'm wondering if you have any advice for me. In case you were wondering, I do desire earning an MPH along with the MD, and my personal statement addresses this. I know my request for advice is a very open-ended question, but if any of you have any nuggets to throw my way, please don't hesitate to do so!

Vinniemac888 said:
When is everybody getting into town? Would anybody be interested in having a pre-class get-together? Maybe the weekend before orientation? We could go out to dinner/bar/something else in the city!

Oooh, that would be fun! :) We should get something together. I haven't actually finalized when I'm getting into town (scary, I know), but as the time becomes more near, we should all set a date to hang out.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Hey you crazy OHSU'ers - are any of you out-of-state students entering through the MD/MPH program? I'm currently applying for the program (a CA resident) and I'm wondering if you have any advice for me. In case you were wondering, I do desire earning an MPH along with the MD, and my personal statement addresses this. I know my request for advice is a very open-ended question, but if any of you have any nuggets to throw my way, please don't hesitate to do so!

:( I'm sorry -- I have no info. on that since I didn't apply the MD-MPH route.

if anyone is in town tonight PGE park is having thirsty thursday Less than $10 to get in to the baseball game and cheep beer. PM me and I'll tell you more

Anybody have any info on this? I know that the house/senate and Gov. Kulongoski reached an agreement today, but I couldn't find any information if it allocates money to OHSU or not. Anybody know?

jmk said:

I was on the website today, and it's up to #71! That's more than two-thirds of our class. Wow! It HAS to be the crazy high tuition.

Vinniemac888 said:
Anybody have any info on this? I know that the house/senate and Gov. Kulongoski reached an agreement today, but I couldn't find any information if it allocates money to OHSU or not. Anybody know?

Sweet! I'm not sure if you guys all got the e-mail or not (I'm an OHSU employee as well, so sometimes I get university notices that the students don't get), but the provost just sent out an e-mail outlining the Oregon Legislature announcement today. The somewhat restored OHSU budget was approved by the Senate Budget Committee today, but still has to be approved by the House & the Senate. The new budget restores the funds to most of the schools, the Poison Control center, etc, but does not restore funds to the other clinics, etc. Anyway, the good news is, that for us in-state students the tuition will drop back down to $24,100, assuming the House & Senate approve as well. Just thought I'd spread the good news. See you all soon!

Pchsgirl said:
Sweet! I'm not sure if you guys all got the e-mail or not (I'm an OHSU employee as well, so sometimes I get university notices that the students don't get), but the provost just sent out an e-mail outlining the Oregon Legislature announcement today. The somewhat restored OHSU budget was approved by the Senate Budget Committee today, but still has to be approved by the House & the Senate. The new budget restores the funds to most of the schools, the Poison Control center, etc, but does not restore funds to the other clinics, etc. Anyway, the good news is, that for us in-state students the tuition will drop back down to $24,100, assuming the House & Senate approve as well. Just thought I'd spread the good news. See you all soon!

:D :thumbup: (for the in-staters!)

Pchsgirl said:
in-state tuition will drop to $24,100, assuming the House & Senate approve as well.

Thanks for the great news! I might even be able to skip my morning coca-cola after that rush.

or not :)

Is anyone else doing the 1 week observership next week? I am excited but I feel like it is the beginning of the end!! However, it will be great to finally meet some of my future classmates. PM me if you are going and want to, so we can atleast know someone's name at the observership orientation. :D

Anyone know if the somewhat OHSU budget approved by the Senate Budget Committee was approved by the House & the Senate?

anyone have any info on getting parking permits? have you all already gotten yours?

-thanks

You must not have heard about the parking situation. it is $10 per day and you have to pay everyday unless you get a pass which has a 3-4 year waitlist an then costs you ~$100 a month. The school will give us trimet passes and the busses up to the hill are great from many different parts of town. It might be to late, but you should make your housing choice based on the transit system comute unless you are made of money..then go for the parking. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

bluemorpho said:
You must not have heard about the parking situation. it is $10 per day and you have to pay everyday unless you get a pass which has a 3-4 year waitlist an then costs you ~$100 a month. The school will give us trimet passes and the busses up to the hill are great from many different parts of town. It might be to late, but you should make your housing choice based on the transit system comute unless you are made of money..then go for the parking. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

;) Thanks, bluemorpho. After I made that post I looked up the parking situation in the sage book and online and realized a) how impossible it is to even get a permit, and b) how expensive they are. So, I'm planning to use the bus. I live about 5 mins. from the school so it shouldn't be bad at all. Thanks again...

for anyone not on the "incoming" email list serve:

I'm setting up a class trip to a local rock climbing gym on thursday aug 18th in the afternoon.

If you have any interest in ever trying climbing PM me. Even if you can't make this trip I hope to have other trips.

Hi everyone! I'm back from our trip to Europe, and excited about starting on Monday (if a little jet-lagged :rolleyes: ). I feel really unprepared though! But I don't know how different that would be if I hadn't taken the trip. Have most of you bought books and supplies already? I kind of have to wait for fin aid for that stuff, hopefully I'm not really behind. I went through all the e-mails from the list that had backed up while I was away, it looks like a lot of people are still selling books so that's good. And good news about the tuition! Fortunately I already live in Portland so housing is all squared away, if anyone needs a really last minute place to crash before school Rob and I have 2 futons and an extra room (although you have to put up with our crazy pug). Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you all and hope we have time to socialize outside of class, Portland is a fun city with a lot of good drinking spots, food, and music venues. Let's enjoy our last couple of days (although I'll mainly be doing laundry and getting back to a normal sleep schedule). :D