Ohio State Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmwells

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently got accepted to the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine for Fall 2022. I looked at the pros/cons Google Doc that has been going around for a few years and had a few questions if any current student could help! Just want to make sure I do my due diligence!

• I noticed something about only being able to leave for a limited time over summer. With the new automatic in-state residency after 1st year, is there still a limited amount of time to leave over summer/during school? I am from OOS and would love to be able to visit my friends and family over holidays and summer as much as time allows.
  • How is having such a large class size? Does it make it difficult at all?
  • How likely is it to receive financial aid? I know they are striving to eventually be able to offer a free full year to every student, but how difficult is it to receive financial aid/scholarships?
  • How is living in the area? Good apartment choices, safety, noise, etc.

I appreciate any insight on these topics and anything else you all believe is important to know! Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have never heard of only being able to leave for a limited time, oh no! May I ask where you saw that?

I have never heard of only being able to leave for a limited time, oh no! May I ask where you saw that?
It’s in Ohio’s requirements for establishing residency. I have no affiliation with Ohio so I have no idea how strictly it applies to the vet school. Maybe an Ohio-an can chime in. But even if it is strictly enforced and you can only leave for 2 weeks at a time/total of 30d, imo it’s just for one year and the tuition savings is well worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
But even if it is strictly enforced and you can only leave for 2 weeks at a time/total of 30d,
Rules like this don't really make sense cause how would they know? It's not like the state of Ohio is asking visa for your transaction history showing you on vacay in Utah for 31 days over the summer.

Rules like this don't really make sense cause how would they know? It's not like the state of Ohio is asking visa for your transaction history showing you on vacay in Utah for 31 days over the summer.
For missouri you have to upload your bank information and they check where you make purchases and if it is out of state it is counted as a day that you were not in missouri.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
For missouri you have to upload your bank information and they check where you make purchases and if it is out of state it is counted as a day that you were not in missouri.
Holy cow. Absolutely bonkers to me.

I think it used to be enforced, but since everyone getting IS tuition after the first year is the default, it’s not a thing anymore. You can’t “not get” IS tuition after first year (+$10 surcharge per year for OOS).

Screen Shot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.10 PM.png

From their website