Official University of Vermont Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdogg- 00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else super excited to go to UVM? I can't wait. I'd like to get a UVM discussion going here. Are any of you going to go to the accepted students revisit day?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed, but I haven't heard back yet. I liked the school, though. When is the revisit day? :)

KiKat37 said:
I interviewed, but I haven't heard back yet. I liked the school, though. When is the revisit day? :)

Revisit day is May 6th

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently waitlisted at UVM, I also loved UVM, so hopefully I will be able to join you guys sometime soon!

I will be making the long trip from Utah to attend UVM with my family. I am very excited to move to Vermont. I will also be flying out for the revisit day to look for housing options. Good luck to you that are still waiting for word on your status.

Does Vermont offer more electives than most med schools? I think I remember reading a former post from a UVM student and it said that there were about 10 months worth of elective time during the fourth year (including vacations) during which students can apply to do rotations anywhere in the world. Anyone know if this is more than most schools offer?

Also, to those who were accepted, what are your thoughts on where to look for housing? I have a feeling that apartments right in Burlington are more expensive than those outside of Burlington, but I am not sure what other towns to look in.

CBM said:
I will be making the long trip from Utah to attend UVM with my family. I am very excited to move to Vermont. I will also be flying out for the revisit day to look for housing options. Good luck to you that are still waiting for word on your status.

I was waiting for someone to start this "official UVM" thread! I will also be attending UVM in the fall and am really excited to start. I am a Vermont resident, but have been living in Arizona for the past 4.5 years. I will probably be looking at housing right in Burlington b/c it will be more convient than driving in every day - espcially in the winter and from what I know on campus parking is bad (for undergrad...don't know if it is different for medical students). I will also be attending the closer look weekend. I'd love to meet my future classmates.

kdogg- 00 said:
Does Vermont offer more electives than most med schools? I think I remember reading a former post from a UVM student and it said that there were about 10 months worth of elective time during the fourth year (including vacations) during which students can apply to do rotations anywhere in the world. Anyone know if this is more than most schools offer?

Also, to those who were accepted, what are your thoughts on where to look for housing? I have a feeling that apartments right in Burlington are more expensive than those outside of Burlington, but I am not sure what other towns to look in.

kdogg-00, I am not sure about the electives, but it would be interesting to find out. About the housing. Right now I am looking into the married student housing. They are actually located at Fort Ethan Allen, about 4 miles from the school. They have a waitlist, so it is not a sure thing. I am also looking for other options. It would be nice to get an apartment by the school, but it does seem like the apartments cost more in Burlington. Other towns I have looked at close by are Winooski, Essex, and Essex Junction. If anyone has any ideas about good places to live, I would love to hear about them. I would really like to find a good place to live that is family friendly.

I'm also waitlisted, but it's my clear first choice! Any ideas on when the waitlist moves?

Is it true that all out-of-staters are originally waitlisted? or is it just a myth? Thanks! :)

KiKat37 said:
Is it true that all out-of-staters are originally waitlisted? or is it just a myth? Thanks! :)

KiKat37, I am an out-of-state applicant and was not waitlisted. I guess I got lucky.

KiKat37 said:
KitKat,

I also am an out of stater and did not get waitlisted. I guess I got lucky too. Definately send them a LOI - they seem like the type of school that wants to accept students who really want to go there. If you have volunteer experience, make sure you emphasize it. I think extracurriculars helped me a lot in the admissions process. I also wrote a letter to my interviewer (the wife of the acting dean of admissions) letting her know that UVM was one of my first choices.

I am also incredibly excited about UVM and will definitely be at Closer Look Day! The new facilities seem amazing, and the faculty and students really seem awesome. The students at UVM really are happy. I'm curious if any of you have chosen UVM over "higher-ranked" schools, and why. Also, are any of you on the waitlist at other schools that you are still considering? I can't wait to meet you guys next month...a month from today!

Members don't see this ad :)
What I should have asked was, "Why did you choose UVM over other schools you were accepted to?" Thanks!

Thndrctboy said:
What I should have asked was, "Why did you choose UVM over other schools you were accepted to?" Thanks!

I am choosing UVM over Drexel. Everyone that I mentioned UVM to has said that Burlington is just about the best city you could ask for, so I am excited about that. Also, I am not really a city person, so I had reservations about being in philly. Also, UVM seems to be a better school, it's much smaller - so there will be tons of emphasis on each individual - which is great. I had that at my undergrad and it really makes a huge difference in the quality of education that you receive. There are only 95 students in UVMs first year class compared with Drexel's 250 or so, which means that we will get lots of attention from faculty, etc. Also, UVM students seemed happy and laid back. It's not the competitive atmosphere that you're likely to find at more prestigious schools. When it comes down to it, I'd much prefer a friendly atmosphere and a happy experience to a big name med school with a bunch of competitive classmates. Really the only drawbacks of UVM for me are the cold climate and the expense ( I'm out of state). I am curious to hear other people's thoughts....

Thanks guys for the info! I haven't been waitlisted yet. In fact, I haven't heard back from UVM since my interview (about a month ago). I was just wondering if I should prepare myself for a waitlist letter. Seems like some out-of-staters got in though... good news! :)

Hi fellow future UVMers,

Does anyone know when our financial aid deadline is? I haven't even submitted my fafsa yet. I am worried about it. My parents got an extension on their tax returns and so I haven't been able to fill out all the forms. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I submit my fafsa without my parental info? I know I wont qualify for university loans, but I will need to take out federal loans. Any help would be much appreciated

Contact Shelley in the financial aid office. I talked to her today about things and she is really nice and helpful. I know the "priority deadline" has already passed. I think it was Feb 10th (not exactly sure) but, you should still be able to submit a Fafsa and qualify for aid. Shelley told me today that the award packages are supposed to go out at the end of this month or so. Good luck.

Karen

kdogg- 00 said:
Hi fellow future UVMers,

Does anyone know when our financial aid deadline is? I haven't even submitted my fafsa yet. I am worried about it. My parents got an extension on their tax returns and so I haven't been able to fill out all the forms. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I submit my fafsa without my parental info? I know I wont qualify for university loans, but I will need to take out federal loans. Any help would be much appreciated

Okay--sorry to be barging in on your thread as I am not going there in fall. If this is too intrusive, just ignore me.... :oops:
A few of you mentioned finding living situations good for families. Is the U. of Vermont particularly family friendly? I'm looking to apply there for '06 and thought you all may have a good inside scoop. I'm married with kids and love the idea of Burlington....
Thanks!

olydoc2b said:
Okay--sorry to be barging in on your thread as I am not going there in fall. If this is too intrusive, just ignore me.... :oops:
A few of you mentioned finding living situations good for families. Is the U. of Vermont particularly family friendly? I'm looking to apply there for '06 and thought you all may have a good inside scoop. I'm married with kids and love the idea of Burlington....
Thanks!

My impression at my interview was that UVM was particularly family friendly. There was a disproportionately high number of married students, from what I remember. Also, Burlington is supposed to be one of the most livable cities. Most med schools are located in fairly big cities, which are never easy to live in if you are starting a family. However, everyone that knows assures me that Burlington is an awesome place to live - and I assume it's a great place to raise a family as well. Is not too big or congested, it's beautiful, and there's a lot of culture. My opinion is that UVM is an excellent place to go to school if you have a family.

kdogg- 00 said:
My impression at my interview was that UVM was particularly family friendly. There was a disproportionately high number of married students, from what I remember. Also, Burlington is supposed to be one of the most livable cities. Most med schools are located in fairly big cities, which are never easy to live in if you are starting a family. However, everyone that knows assures me that Burlington is an awesome place to live - and I assume it's a great place to raise a family as well. Is not too big or congested, it's beautiful, and there's a lot of culture. My opinion is that UVM is an excellent place to go to school if you have a family.

Thanks kdogg! It's definitely firmed up vermont on my list....

Fellow Catamounts...

I am curious to hear your reflections on Closer Look Day. Personally, I thought it was awesome! The friendliness and enthusiasm of the faculty, staff, and students throughout the entire day was truly incredible. I understand that everyone puts on their best faces for such a day, but I didn’t notice any forced excitement. The day was very well planned. Dr. First sold me on the VIC, and the current students really seem to love it. The first year VIC students who took the Boards did just fine. I was worried about the lack of patient diversity in Vermont, but someone asked about it, and we can spend months of our fourth year anywhere in the country…in fact, this is encouraged. The use of standardized patients seems great, as well as does COMET. Let me know your feedback about Closer Look Day. For those of you considering other schools like Tufts, Georgetown, and BU, I’m curious to know your current thoughts. Best of luck with the decision process!

Just curious if any of you (accepted applicants for UVM entering class of 2005) are from the waiting list?

if you are, when did you hear from UVM?

how is preparation going?

anybody from the waiting list?????

Thndrctboy said:
Fellow Catamounts...

I am curious to hear your reflections on Closer Look Day. Personally, I thought it was awesome! The friendliness and enthusiasm of the faculty, staff, and students throughout the entire day was truly incredible. I understand that everyone puts on their best faces for such a day, but I didn’t notice any forced excitement. The day was very well planned. Dr. First sold me on the VIC, and the current students really seem to love it. The first year VIC students who took the Boards did just fine. I was worried about the lack of patient diversity in Vermont, but someone asked about it, and we can spend months of our fourth year anywhere in the country…in fact, this is encouraged. The use of standardized patients seems great, as well as does COMET. Let me know your feedback about Closer Look Day. For those of you considering other schools like Tufts, Georgetown, and BU, I’m curious to know your current thoughts. Best of luck with the decision process!

I enjoyed second look day at UVM as well. Everyone was really friendly, laid back, and seemingly genuine. I liked how we got to do the little standardized patients exercise because it gave me the sense that UVM prepares students very well for clinical rotations. I also enjoyed our leadership groups. I think it is important to get students thinking about ethical/moral issues associated with practicing medicine early on. The curriculum seems amazing! We are really going to know our stuff when we are finally ready to move into the working world! Overall, I give UVM two thumbs up :)

Has everyone found housing in Burlington already? I haven't yet. I am getting a little worried because I hear that Burlington is experiencing a housing crunch. Anyone looking for roommates?

kdogg- 00 said:
Has everyone found housing in Burlington already? I haven't yet. I am getting a little worried because I hear that Burlington is experiencing a housing crunch. Anyone looking for roommates?

I saw this from another thread. Check it out!

2 bedroom apt 5 minute walk from UVM COM & Fletcher Allen
If anyone is interested, please email [email protected]

eena said:
I saw this from another thread. Check it out!

2 bedroom apt 5 minute walk from UVM COM & Fletcher Allen
If anyone is interested, please email [email protected]

Fellow UVMers! Where are you all? Aren't you as excited as I am? Join the discussion :)!

What are you all doing for housing? I went to Burlington this past weekend and saw some pretty crappy places to live. Anyone know where the good places are? How are you all finding roommates?

kdogg- 00 said:
Fellow UVMers! Where are you all? Aren't you as excited as I am? Join the discussion :)!

What are you all doing for housing? I went to Burlington this past weekend and saw some pretty crappy places to live. Anyone know where the good places are? How are you all finding roommates?

Which areas did you see those crappy apartments?
I was told that South Burlington is a nice area, did you look at this place?

By the way, how was the weather in Vermont?

kdogg- 00 said:

I know, where are they?

eena said:
I know, where are they?

I think that the worst apartments I saw were in Winooski. I have a cat so I was only looking at housing that allowed pets. I think the places that allow pets are usually a little dumpier than the others. Also, I was surprised by how expensive the housing is. If you want to live in a single, you have to expect to pay at least $650 for a decent place. Have you found housing yet?

The weather in Burlington was beautiful!! 82 degrees and sunny.

hey~

i'm finishing up my 2nd year at UVMCOM- don't stress the housing situation too much. if you get here a week or so before school starts you should be able to get an apartment really easily as UVM undergrad won't have started yet.

p

I do believe I am the happiest I have ever been in my life right now... all because of UVM!
I also believe that I could live in a tent and remain warm from the continuous adrenaline pumping through my system right now.

Alas, you all probably know that this will wear off and reality will strike with loan applications and housing logistics.

Anyway, thanks kdogg for the invite to the thread! :thumbup:

I can´t wait to meet all of you come august, it still seems like ages away!
a bit of housing advice for those asking - the COM has a housing list that is mostly med and other grad students in the area looking for roomates... I personally recommend the southern edge of the north end. It is right next to church street, grocery store, etc, 10 minute walk from UVM/FAHC campus, and cheap as hell. there are usually a slew of apartments in that general area. Ask the student affairs people about the list, and I´m sure they will pass it on. I found a place in a four bedroom house, with pets, for $500 a month, utilities included....

when are most of you arriving in burlington?

hi everybody!

does anyone know what orientation will be like? my girlfriend wants to visit me during that week, but i don't want her to come if I'm going to be on campus all day..

Just wanted to say congrats to the incoming class of 2009 from a tired (and happy) and haggard member of the class of 2007! Burlington is a great place to live and UVM is not too shabby either!

My best advice for you: don't stress on housing...the housing list is a GREAT resource and you're bound to find something on that list. Just be persistent. I found an awesome place on s. union (15 min. to downtown) with a view of the lake and a kick ass porch. It was the first and only apt. i looked at...

Good luck and I'll see you crazy kids in August....

Regarding your question about orientation -- My boyfriend is driving with me to VT from Ariziona and will be staying with me through orientation. I was wondering the same things. I emailed Mary Campbell and she said that they are working on a tentative schedule right now, but we will be on campus pretty much 8-5 each day. There will be "optional" events in the evenings like dinners and boat cruises on the lake that we can bring guests to (no charge) Nini Anger is sending an email soon to ask who will be attending each event and guests. I hope this helps. Can't wait to meet everyone -- we'll have to all go out in Burlington during the evenings of orientation.

See ya'll then.

Karen

boonguh said:
hi everybody!

does anyone know what orientation will be like? my girlfriend wants to visit me during that week, but i don't want her to come if I'm going to be on campus all day..

I already have housing -- but for those of you who don't here is a good option. It's a duplex retty close to school, not a far walk!

Here is the info:

"This apartment is one half of a modern, side-by-side duplex The
apartments are two level and mirror images of one another. Downstairs
is an open plan living area and kitchen. Upstairs are two bedrooms and a
bathroom. Each apartment is about 900 sq ft. This apartment has a
washer/dryer and hard wired smoke detectors throughout. The back yard
and storage shed are shared with the other apartment. There is
off-street parking for one car and plenty of on-street parking. When
there is a parking ban from a snow storm, there is room in the driveway
for a second car.

Tenants pay for water (approx $15 per month), gas heat(approx $300 per
WINTER) and electricity (approx $50 per month) - the exact amounts are
dependent on your consumption habits. I pay for trash collection and
winter supplies (salt and shovels). I also maintain the property in the
summer (mowing etc). Rent is $900 a month.

The apartments are at 408/410 Colchester Avenue, about a half mile
north of the campus. The walk is easy....about 10 minutes. From the
Colchester Ave. entrance of the campus, head east away from the lake.
Pass the India House and the Campus Kitchen on your right. The road
bends around to the left and starts heading down the hill towards the
Winooski bridge. The duplex is about a third of the way down on the
left hand side. The duplex is beige with red shutters. There is a row of
cedar trees in front of the property and a dead-end road called
Colchester Court on the opposite side of the road".

You can contact Jim Goldsmith to schedule a viewing.
His email is [email protected]
cell phone: 802-238-1263
Home 802 482-2926
Work 802 847-3675

Good luck to everyone.

buglady said:
Just wanted to say congrats to the incoming class of 2009 from a tired (and happy) and haggard member of the class of 2007! Burlington is a great place to live and UVM is not too shabby either!

My best advice for you: don't stress on housing...the housing list is a GREAT resource and you're bound to find something on that list. Just be persistent. I found an awesome place on s. union (15 min. to downtown) with a view of the lake and a kick ass porch. It was the first and only apt. i looked at...

Good luck and I'll see you crazy kids in August....

First of all, looking forward to meeting all of you next month,

I called the parking department at UVM and asked about getting a commuter parking permit before school started. Unfortunately, the office said that the permit would only be valid starting in late August (like the 25th or something). After informing them about the start date for orientation, the office said that they would try and arrange something for us med students next week...I will let you know if I hear anything, and if anyone else has any parking advice, please feel free to share it!

Thanks....

Fellow UVM Catamounts for the Class of 2009,

I couldn't be more excited about beginning UVM next month, and I think we're going to have an amazing class and a great four years. Having lived in Chicago all my life and being a die-hard Cubs fan, I know Redsox2004 is going to give me a hard time! Congrats to all of you off the waitlist!

I just rented an amazing two-bedroom apt. five minutes walking from the medical school (and 9 minutes walking to downtown), and I am looking to rent out the second bedroom to another first year student. The apt. information follows, so please write me back if you are interested. All Chicagoans are nice, clean, and overall great roommates. I can't wait to meet all of you August 8th!

Brad Cutler

Lease Beginning 8/1/05, All utilities included! One block to Hospital, UVM, Waterman, etc., 9 minute walk to Church Street. Safe. Two bedroom split level, clean & comfortable, Huge amount of natural light, private entrance, Bedrooms on separate floors (upper bedroom has skylight and walk-in closets), Modern appliances: Washer/Dryer/Dishwasher, too. All utilities and trash pickup weekly included. Baseboard forced hot water heat. Your own thermostats. Off street parking and Resident Only street parking permit too. (ask if you do not know what this is.) All utilities included! Sec/Ref. Required. $1,290/month. Pictures available. E-mail or call Brad Cutler: [email protected], (847) 340-0106.

Hey all, I don't go to UVM, but I'm always in Burlington visiting my significant other. I'm actually up here for the summer, and it's wonderful. Your thread caught my eye when someone mentioned taking a boat cruise for orientation, because I'm actually working on the main boat cruise for my summer job between MSI and MSII. Maybe I'll get to be your waitress. Tip me well! :laugh:

Anyway, enjoy UVM... I'm really jealous... I should have applied here!

baldguy said:
First of all, looking forward to meeting all of you next month,

I called the parking department at UVM and asked about getting a commuter parking permit before school started. Unfortunately, the office said that the permit would only be valid starting in late August (like the 25th or something). After informing them about the start date for orientation, the office said that they would try and arrange something for us med students next week...I will let you know if I hear anything, and if anyone else has any parking advice, please feel free to share it!

Thanks....

I would talk to Parking Services and ask for a visitor's parking permit until the other ones are valid. Don't take the chance of parking in one of the parking lots without a permit. Parking services LOVES giving tickets, especially with all the construction happening on campus. They just tore up a big faculty/staff parking lot near FAHC and Given, and it looks like a bunch of other lots are closed until the end of August (so they say...). Plus, the parking garage doesn't look like it will be open anytime soon.

Basically, make sure you have some sort of parking permit. They give out something like 16,000 citations each year and the average ticket is $50. Good luck with the parking services people, they are a tough bunch. :thumbup:

Thndrctboy said:
Fellow UVM Catamounts for the Class of 2009,

I couldn't be more excited about beginning UVM next month, and I think we're going to have an amazing class and a great four years. Having lived in Chicago all my life and being a die-hard Cubs fan, I know Redsox2004 is going to give me a hard time! Congrats to all of you off the waitlist!

We are most definitely going to have an amazing class!
And of course you'll be getting a hard time Thndrct... I love to relive glory days... in 20 years I will still be walking around with a S.E. grin on my face (and the Cubs will have won 5 W.S. by then!). :D
So instead of renting an apartment I have decided officially now to pop a tent in the parking lot. There must be a reserved section for this... with the surplus of parking and all. Anyone with me? :sleep:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with your class for parking. I just paid an ass-load of money (~$200) for a parking permit (Trinity campus, across the street from the hospital)...they've eliminated anything and everything close to both the hospital and Given. It's atrocious. There aren't a lot of options around campus because of all the construction work. Depending on where you live, you might not even qualify for a permit. They pulled that crap on the med students last year...if you lived too close to school, they wouldn't issue you a permit. Such crap!

Good luck...hope everyone has a good bike! ;)

I still do not have a place to live! Can anyone tell me where the shaddy parts of town are.... For example what do you think of the area near Park st; Rose etc.. It did not look all that fun but it seems to be cheaper.

how come you're looking for a place at Burlington?
OR you eventually decided to go to UVM?

lyalya5 said:
I still do not have a place to live! Can anyone tell me where the shaddy parts of town are.... For example what do you think of the area near Park st; Rose etc.. It did not look all that fun but it seems to be cheaper.

Right on eena! I just could not find peace with my decision to go to BU. Luckily it was not too late and VT took me back. So now I am looking for a place to live.... and it is scary.

I'm flying into burlington august 3rd. Should I find housing before I get there, or look for one when I arrive?

I think I should find one before I leave, but I want to see the area and the apartment before I commit. Any ideas?

Unfortunately there is not a lot on the web and even less with pictures. Some of the places I looked at are downright scary!!!! I would not commit to any of them until I saw them.

did the rest of you complete your financial aid? i was accepted late june, but still have not received my financial aid package.

i feel so unprepared while orientation is coming so soon..

regardless, still excited to see all of you in august!

hey guys, i just received my financial package today, and im goin up to burlington tomorrow to look for housing..hopefully i find something decent..anyone have any suggestions