Official U Maryland Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all the info Cyto - I'm sure it kept some of us sane when we might otherwise have lost it!

Well, with no chance of having better than a waitlist spot, its time to start studying for the MCATs again. I only applied to Maryland - my MCATs are 4 years old... too old it seems for many other schools, and UMAB was my top choice and they accepted them. Good heavens I had hoped to avoid this. But I'll probably get a better score next time, so here goes! Of course, its been 4 years since Organic...

Good luck to all! I will continue to post regarding my own status at Maryland. I still have some hope!

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to studentdoctor so I have no idea if this will work.

I'm heading to UMD this August and I am looking forward to it. I had a great time interviewing with the physicians and the students I met were really down to earth and enjoyed what the school had to offer.

As an out-of-stater, tuition is steep. My question is this: is it easy/difficult to change one's residency to Maryland? Though I intend to appeal, I do not mind paying out-of-state for the first year. I've been living in MD for 2 years now and paid MD state taxes in 2003 and 2004. I would however want to pay in-state for the remaining three years.

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be helpful.

Welcome! Congrats on your acceptance!

If I remember correctly, the in-state form asks about your taxes for the past three years- so assuming you worked and paid taxes in MD for 2005, you should be good. The other things that you have to do are change your driver's lisence and car registration to MD, and also make sure that you are registered to vote in MD. If you are in MD now for school and are a dependent of your parents, it might be harder to claim residency in MD. I have lived in MD all my life, so I havent gone through the process myself, but I think that for most states you have to have your primary residence in a state and pay taxes in the state for three years to become a resident for school purposes.

On my interview day, I talked to a couple of out-of state students that wanted to change their residencies. One said that U of M was really helpful and worked with students to get in-state status, but the other said that the school/state made it impossible.

Pistons said:
I am new to studentdoctor so I have no idea if this will work.

I'm heading to UMD this August and I am looking forward to it. I had a great time interviewing with the physicians and the students I met were really down to earth and enjoyed what the school had to offer.

As an out-of-stater, tuition is steep. My question is this: is it easy/difficult to change one's residency to Maryland? Though I intend to appeal, I do not mind paying out-of-state for the first year. I've been living in MD for 2 years now and paid MD state taxes in 2003 and 2004. I would however want to pay in-state for the remaining three years.

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get anything from Maryland in the mail today...or are we thinking a little later in the week?

bostonmed24 said:
Anyone get anything from Maryland in the mail today...or are we thinking a little later in the week?

I'm thinking we'll get something later in the week, probably close to Friday. I called today and asked about when the letters are being sent out and she said, and I quote, "we're working on that as we speak." So I'm guessing they should be sent either tomorrow or the next day...hopefully we'll def receive the letters by Friday. Oh and I asked whether any acceptances were given out, hoping I'd hear a yes, but she said that basically everyone got placed on the waitlist.

Hey guys, just want to update you guys, the waitlist letters are out. I got mine today, in the uppper 3rd with 238 ppl. So, more waiting, good luck to you guys. :luck:

Good luck, nervous. I'd say top third is a decent place to be. :thumbup:

I've been waiting, too. Won't make it home until after night classes, but all I can think about is that letter in my box! Does anyone have an idea of WHEN top 3rd ranked applicants might find out? June, July, after?

Best of luck to everyone. I'll post when I find out.

nervouspremed said:
Hey guys, just want to update you guys, the waitlist letters are out. I got mine today, in the uppper 3rd with 238 ppl. So, more waiting, good luck to you guys. :luck:

That's good to hear, nervous, I hope the list moves fast for you. Did they tell you what # you were?

:luck:

BlueMagpie said:
That's good to hear, nervous, I hope the list moves fast for you. Did they tell you what # you were?

:luck:
Thx Star and Blue, I hope the wait won't be that much longer, haha. They didnt' tell me what #, I think they just tell you upper, middle or lower third. Crossing my fingers.

nervouspremed said:

Ack! I think I have suddenly come down with a rare tropical disease. Highly contagious. I need to leave work early.... the cure is in my mailbox. :D

nervouspremed said:

congrats on your placement nervous! you pretty much got the best you could have hoped for. i saw your post and rushed home to check my mail, only to find nothing but a T-mobile bill. ugh. i figured i'd be one of the first to get it since i live in baltimore, but oh well. the next 24 hours are gonna be the longest of my life. i'll be busy trying to keep my mind from thinking that the reason i didn't get a letter is because i'm in a lower third or rejected...

the 238 people, is that 238 on the whole waitlist, or 238 in the upper third? it seems like a lot to be the latter...

Bill Lumbergh said:
congrats on your placement nervous! you pretty much got the best you could have hoped for. i saw your post and rushed home to check my mail, only to find nothing but a T-mobile bill. ugh. i figured i'd be one of the first to get it since i live in baltimore, but oh well. the next 24 hours are gonna be the longest of my life. i'll be busy trying to keep my mind from thinking that the reason i didn't get a letter is because i'm in a lower third or rejected...

the 238 people, is that 238 on the whole waitlist, or 238 in the upper third? it seems like a lot to be the latter...
238 overall, good luck to you and Luci, and any other that's waiting to hear

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info nervous, and congrats on your upper-third placement! I cant wait to get home to check the mailbox :scared:

Also heard top third of waitlist today. The letter seemed to say that the waitlist won't move too much because they overaccepted the class, let's hope there's still a shot.

Best of luck to everyone

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist :luck: :luck:

B.L.- I hope you hear from UMD soon!!

also waitlisted in the upper 1/3 tier...even though they said there might not be much movement this year, one can only hope...

gluck everyone!

i think everyone got in the top third. i did as well.

LucidSplash said:
Ack! I think I have suddenly come down with a rare tropical disease. Highly contagious. I need to leave work early.... the cure is in my mailbox. :D

Garr... rushed home from work, only circulars, jcrew catalog which I never use, and explanation of benefits from insurance company.

Very unsatisfying.... hopefully they didn't send the letters out in tiers... I live just outside of DC... maybe they did it alphabetically. Bah, I'm done obsessing tonight... bed now. Night folks, and good luck to all!

I got top 1/3 as well... it looks like us SDNers are so great we all got top third! I will be writing my LOI today, do you think we should send in another LOR? I was thinking about getting my boss to write me another one... They may have done it alphabetically, I live right outside DC too, but my last name starts with "B", good luck hearing back Lucid! And good luck everyone trying to get off the list! :luck: Looks like the waiting is really about to begin...

boobah16 said:
I will be writing my LOI today, do you think we should send in another LOR? I was thinking about getting my boss to write me another one...

That would probably be a good idea. I mean, it definitely couldn't hurt and it would give the AdCom another chance to learn something positive about you.

tinkerbelle said:
That would probably be a good idea. I mean, it definitely couldn't hurt and it would give the AdCom another chance to learn something positive about you.

Thanks for the advice! I just asked him, so I guess now I just wait and see if it makes a difference :)

It really does seem like everyone is top tier, or that only those people are posting. Still doesn't look like much movement will take place this year. Doubtful that extra info will help any either at this point unless it's something groundbreaking.

bostonmed24 said:
It really does seem like everyone is top tier, or that only those people are posting. Still doesn't look like much movement will take place this year. Doubtful that extra info will help any either at this point unless it's something groundbreaking.

Well I just cured cancer AND found a new AIDS vaccine, groundbreaking enough?:p... sike, only kidding... but i figure more information wont hurt

I got my top third letter today, but what they said worried me a little about not taking many off of the list. However, it's been said in this thread before that UMD has given out 220 acceptances so far, compared with 300 total for 2004. That leaves 80 probably left to give out, which is about the size of the top tier(240/3). Just a little thought, I know I'll be checking the mailbox everyday.

Got my letter today guys - middle tier. Better than a kick in the butt :) But I'll be studying to take the MCATs again now. I'll be sure to continue to check in on you guys though. Hope to see you in 2006! Good luck to lal the rest, especially those on the top tier!

mdterps83 said:
I got my top third letter today, but what they said worried me a little about not taking many off of the list. However, it's been said in this thread before that UMD has given out 220 acceptances so far, compared with 300 total for 2004. That leaves 80 probably left to give out, which is about the size of the top tier(240/3). Just a little thought, I know I'll be checking the mailbox everyday.

can't resist checking SDN... must fight the dark side of the force... ahhhhhh!

anyway, doubtful that 80 more will be given out. UMB is becoming very "sexy!" --> more people that get in are deciding to matriculate and it shows that stronger applicants are coming in the progressively stronger match lists.

in the past, i don't think the class was that full (200+) at or near the may 15th date... therefore, more people were accepted at first pass in the past. not this year it seems.

but don't give up. if you're in the top tier... send an update, LOI, reitterate that you really liked UMB - just don't go overboard. (if you are asking yourself if you are overboard - you probably are!) maybe a picture of you in a toga would be a good idea j/k ..(funny stuff, but my MCAT picture was exactly that for me b/c that's the only pic i had the morning of the exam).

good luck guys and gals.

LucidSplash said:
Got my letter today guys - middle tier. Better than a kick in the butt :) But I'll be studying to take the MCATs again now. I'll be sure to continue to check in on you guys though. Hope to see you in 2006! Good luck to lal the rest, especially those on the top tier!

yeah, i got my middle tier letter too. not a good feeling. looks like it's off to the caribbean for me. good luck everyone!

bill- where in the carribean? and also- are you from the dc area- i might be heading down there too- the weather is too appealing for me.

cpatel301 said:
bill- where in the carribean? and also- are you from the dc area- i might be heading down there too- the weather is too appealing for me.

barring some maryland waitlist miracle, i'm going to st. george's. i live in baltimore, so yeah, i'm in the dc area.

nice. we should meet up- im thinking of going to st georges as well.

Bill Lumbergh said:
barring some maryland waitlist miracle, i'm going to st. george's. i live in baltimore, so yeah, i'm in the dc area.

cytoskelement said:
can't resist checking SDN... must fight the dark side of the force... ahhhhhh!

anyway, doubtful that 80 more will be given out. UMB is becoming very "sexy!" --> more people that get in are deciding to matriculate and it shows that stronger applicants are coming in the progressively stronger match lists.

in the past, i don't think the class was that full (200+) at or near the may 15th date... therefore, more people were accepted at first pass in the past. not this year it seems.

but don't give up. if you're in the top tier... send an update, LOI, reitterate that you really liked UMB - just don't go overboard. (if you are asking yourself if you are overboard - you probably are!) maybe a picture of you in a toga would be a good idea j/k ..(funny stuff, but my MCAT picture was exactly that for me b/c that's the only pic i had the morning of the exam).

good luck guys and gals.

Wow, there are still 200+ ppl decide to matriculate at May 15th. So, not that many ppl are dropping, oh man. Any idea on how many ppl are still holding on to UMD acceptance at this point? thx

I haven't checked this thread in awhile but noticed earlier that some people thought that everyone was told they were in the top 1/3 of the wait list. I received my notification that I was in the middle third today. I will promptly be removing my name. Best of luck to everyone else and hope this helps!

Wow, 200 people is alot... what will UMD do if the extra 50 dont drop?? I know it was said on this thread earlier that a couple of years ago they had to ask people to defer, but asking 50 people to defer?! Heres hoping they all decide to drop UMD soon! :D

question...will the admissions committee still be meeting regurlarly?? For people on the waitlist, should we even bother to send in more stuff (LOR's, LOI etc.) if the committee is not going to be meeting regularly to consider these materials and move people up on the lists??

Did anyone get a perkins loans from umaryland for the coming year?

Just wanted to bump this up a bit... Any waitlisters hear anything new?

boobah16 said:
Just wanted to bump this up a bit... Any waitlisters hear anything new?

Haven't heard anything hear, and I am not holding my breath. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist.

i haven't heard anything yet either... i'm wondering if the waitlist is even going to move at all this year.. :(

What exactly did the WL letter say, guys? Hang in there. :thumbup:

From last years waitlist thread, someone start getting off waitlist around june. Since more ppl are matriculating this year, I think, it will be later this year for us. I just hate this waiting. Blah

starfruit said:
What exactly did the WL letter say, guys? Hang in there. :thumbup:

It said since they have over-subscribed the class for this year, there isnt going to be a lot of movement on the list... Oh well, I have already filled out AMCAS for next year in case this doesnt work out, and my boss has agreed to let me stay on for an additional year. But we've got to keep positive right? UMD could still pull through :rolleyes:

Just curious, I have not recieved any, and I don't know how when or to whom they are given to.

rapshi said:
Just curious, I have not recieved any, and I don't know how when or to whom they are given to.

I received the Perkins loan in undergrad when I was super poor. I didn't receive it for med school though (probably since I have a job). So you probably make too much or your parents make too much since you didn't get it.

Has anyone done the physical yet? That's the next thing I need to take care of.

I called today to be put on the waiting list for the Perkins Loan, apparently they may redistribute the money at a later date....

I also called about the forms for the physical and the admissions person I spoke with told me I would be receiving the forms for that sometime this summer. Has anyone gotten the forms yet?

decflower said:
I also called about the forms for the physical and the admissions person I spoke with told me I would be receiving the forms for that sometime this summer. Has anyone gotten the forms yet?

Nope. But I know there are some forms online (or at least there were a while ago). I'm tempted to download them and fill them up. I'm losing my health insurance in like 3 weeks and I can't wait all summer for these silly forms to arrive.

hey guys, is the waitlist moving? my best friend would really like to go to Maryland and she's on the waitlist and im just trying to get some info for her.....

Anybody hear anything yet? Well, I went back and looked at last year's thread on waitlist movement, and it seems like that there were no movements until mid-july, not mid-june. Man, that's a long wait. Comon UMD, let us in

wends said:
hey guys, is the waitlist moving? my best friend would really like to go to Maryland and she's on the waitlist and im just trying to get some info for her.....

check some of the posts above...I doubt there will be much movement (if any) til mid-end June, and because of this years circumstances, I think only those on the top 1/3 of the waitlist have a chance of getting in. I know, it's horrible. There's a bunch of us in the same situation as your friend. Please post if anyone hears back from UMD...it'll give us some kind of hope!