OFFICIAL: SUNY - UPSTATE Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am currently in the

• Accepted Category

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • High Priority Waitlist Category

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Regular Wailist Category

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters

DubZteR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I think this thread will be very helpful to others like myself who are trying to figure out how much of the class of 2009 has filled up. Please participate if you can.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm in the doomed "hold" category waitlist. Since essentially no one ever gets in of said waitlist, i have to question it's purpose. Shouldn't they just give us a rejection rather than a rejection light? Of course Upstate was such a nice place, I should expect no less than gentle rejection :oops: :(

Cerberus said:
i'm in the doomed "hold" category waitlist. Since essentially no one ever gets in of said waitlist, i have to question it's purpose. Shouldn't they just give us a rejection rather than a rejection light? Of course Upstate was such a nice place, I should expect no less than gentle rejection :oops: :(

awww bummer :( .. Is this a pre or post interview "hold" waitlist?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
ouch, i'm the only "Joe Waitlist" who's responded..DAMN YOU SDN!

Consider yourself bold and courageous my child :D :D

Cerberus said:

So does that mean that this "hold" waitlist is the same thing as the "regular" waitlist or is that something else?

DubZteR said:
So does that mean that this "hold" waitlist is the same thing as the "regular" waitlist or is that something else?

I think my letter said "Hold by committee" or something like that. I don't know I crumpled it up and threw it at the wall. Its the low priority waitlist that you don't get in off of ever - methinks.

DubZteR said:
Consider yourself bold and courageous my child :D :D

"Accepted Category 5 55.56%
High Priority Waitlist Category 3 33.33%
Regular Wailist Category 1 11.11%
"

You can all kiss the fattest part of my ass

Cerberus said:
I think my letter said "Hold by committee" or something like that. I don't know I crumpled it up and threw it at the wall. Its the low priority waitlist that you don't get in off of ever - methinks.

awwww .. I don't know if this has been adressed before but is it possible for someone to get bumped from the regular waitlist into the High Priority one?

Cerberus said:
"Accepted Category 5 55.56%
High Priority Waitlist Category 3 33.33%
Regular Wailist Category 1 11.11%
"

You can all kiss the fattest part of my ass

*tries to calm Cerebus* .. lol

I'm also on hold, but pre-interview (sighs)...

I thought you had an acceptance elsewhere, Cerb. Why do you care about Upstate? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
wait... is this poll for upstate only?! :confused:

tinnyfluffy said:
wait... is this poll for upstate only?! :confused:
oooops! XD sorrie i wasn't reading the title carefully enough. got it this time. :laugh: i'm in the high priority wait list, too~ :( but in any case, it's better than a rejection.

tinnyfluffy said:
oooops! XD sorrie i wasn't reading the title carefully enough. got it this time. :laugh: i'm in the high priority wait list, too~ :( but in any case, it's better than a rejection.

Yap ... i agree HPA means there's still a lot of hope so hang in there :)

did anyone have any luck finding out where they are on the waitlist? i think upstate said they have a ranked waitlist. do they reassess us with each new pool of interviewed applicants (i.e. a fluid waitlist)? or are we permanently on the waitlist until may 15th?

lightnk102 said:
did anyone have any luck finding out where they are on the waitlist? i think upstate said they have a ranked waitlist. do they reassess us with each new pool of interviewed applicants (i.e. a fluid waitlist)? or are we permanently on the waitlist until may 15th?
At the interview, we were told our rank could fluctuate at any point depending on the strength of the applicants as interviews are conducted. As far as being reassessed, the answer I got was ... once you are placed in a category post interview you stay in that category until you are either accepted or if the class has filled then you get the PFO letter :(. At that point you can call to meet/discuss your application to help you improve on the next application cycle.

Hope that helps ... Good Luck :)

I interviewed in mid-November and haven't heard back yet.

beastmaster said:
I interviewed in mid-November and haven't heard back yet.

I was told it usually takes 2 weeks. Decisions are made every Wednesday if I recall correctly. Good Luck!

Interviewed mid november accepted 12/13. :thumbup:

i interviewed right before thanksgiving & am still waiting to hear back. *fingers crossed*

Hey Beastmaster, back for another round of anxiety huh? Hopefully this year goes better than last............just missed getting pulled off the HPA list by 3 or 4 people last year, talk about a kick square to the groin. I just interviewed yesterday, so keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to avoid the waitlist altogether. Good Luck all, the admission committee meets every Wednesday, except for Dec. 29th, so hopefully some of you will get some good news before Christmas.

DrKram20 said:
just missed getting pulled off the HPA list by 3 or 4 people last year.
Bummer .. that's tough :(. Hope things work out for you this year! Just curious but how did you know you were only 3 or 4 off from getting pulled last year?

Good Luck :)

I talked with a couple of people in admissions after classes started. I'm not sure if they're supposed to tell you or not but this person knew me and how often I kept checking in with admissions to see what my status was and probably thought I'd like to know. I know they won't tell you where you are on the waitlists throughout the process though, and believe me I tried. I think SUNY Buffalo gives you a general idea, and I'm sure other places do as well but not Upstate.

DrKram20 said:
I talked with a couple of people in admissions after classes started. I'm not sure if they're supposed to tell you or not but this person knew me and how often I kept checking in with admissions to see what my status was and probably thought I'd like to know. I know they won't tell you where you are on the waitlists throughout the process though, and believe me I tried. I think SUNY Buffalo gives you a general idea, and I'm sure other places do as well but not Upstate.
cool cool ... I just noticed you're from the 'cuse ... so how do you like living there? I guess you must enjoy it a fair bit since you are considering spending the next four years of your life there :p

I really like Central NY, born and raised here. I am a big fan of the 4 seasons, especiually the fall in CNY. There's SU basketball, which I have season tickets to, and football, which I'm boycotting until Pasquelloni is fired. Downtown Armoray Square is loaded with bars, Landmark theater, Dinosaur BarBQue, and lots of other things to do. The hill had some good bars and alot of good lookin undergrads from SU :D . About the only thing that sucks is the winter, and it really can suck at times. Figure about 150-180 inches of snow a year and a couple of weeks during the winter of -20 with the wind chill. Other than that, not a bad place to be at all.

DrKram20 said:
I really like Central NY, born and raised here. I am a big fan of the 4 seasons, especiually the fall in CNY. There's SU basketball, which I have season tickets to, and football, which I'm boycotting until Pasquelloni is fired. Downtown Armoray Square is loaded with bars, Landmark theater, Dinosaur BarBQue, and lots of other things to do. The hill had some good bars and alot of good lookin undergrads from SU :D . About the only thing that sucks is the winter, and it really can suck at times. Figure about 150-180 inches of snow a year and a couple of weeks during the winter of -20 with the wind chill. Other than that, not a bad place to be at all.
lol@good looking undergrads from SU. What about the peeps from the Med School?

Also, being from the North, I'm used to the snow and the colder weather. It does suck at times but I can't complain cuz I love to ski.

Are there any other big malls in 'cuse besides the Carousel Centre?

I just happened to be perusing the site so I thought I'd check in on you guys, Beastmaster and Dr.Kram. Wishing you guys the best for this years application process, I'm pulling for you both.

Best Regards,
Yodaf :D

Thanks for the love Yodaf, you're at Downstate right? Hope everything's going well. I think my application is going to committee this Wednesday so keeping my fingers crossed. :luck: Don't need to revisit the waitlist. My 8 months on it last year was quite enough to be well acquainted with it. Good luck to all

I thought Upstate went through the entire HPA list last yr? Someone posted that they did not. Crossing my fingers (w/ a confirmed backup thankfully).

Good luck to all...waitlist thread should be starting in a few months. See some of you there.

Dr Kram--when did you interview?

Hi. I have an interview coming up at Suny Upstate and I wanted to know if anybody has any recommendations on transportation. I'm on a really low budget right now and I can't afford to rent a car. And I can't seem to find any shuttles that operate there, or a local bus.

Also, are there any cheap hotels near the airport? I mean dirt cheap! ?

Thanx.

whournameiz said:
Hi. I have an interview coming up at Suny Upstate and I wanted to know if anybody has any recommendations on transportation. I'm on a really low budget right now and I can't afford to rent a car. And I can't seem to find any shuttles that operate there, or a local bus.

Thanx.

It depends on where you're coming from. The cheapest housing option is to stay with a student. Jim at the admissions office can give you the names and numbers of 3 people.

DrKram20 said:
Thanks for the love Yodaf, you're at Downstate right? Hope everything's going well. I think my application is going to committee this Wednesday so keeping my fingers crossed. :luck: Don't need to revisit the waitlist. My 8 months on it last year was quite enough to be well acquainted with it. Good luck to all

Yep, I'm at Downstate, trudging through MS1. Hopefully you'll be in my shoes in a few months.:)

Good luck,
Yodaf

whournameiz said:

Thanx.
Congrats on getting an interview! Syracuse is not very congested in general so driving won't be too frustrating. When I interviewed there, I stayed at the Days' Inn on Soldiers Field Road. It was fairly nice ... considering it only cost 35 bucks/night. However, you'll need access to a car in order to get to the medical school cuz it's about a 15-20 min drive away. As someone else mentioned, the cheapest would be to stay with a student!

I also recommend mapping out the school the night before because I had problems finding Weisk Hall initially. Let me know if you have more questions.

Good Luck!

For those of you that have already received your acceptance package ... did it include the health forms too? I received mine back in nov but for some reason I didn't notice that I don't have any health forms until now. I found a link to the forms on the school's site but I'm just wondering if they are the same ones?

Good luck to everyone else still waiting or interviewing. I can't even explain how ecstatic I am right now. Upstate baby!!! :D

DrKram20 said:
Good luck to everyone else still waiting or interviewing. I can't even explain how ecstatic I am right now. Upstate baby!!! :D
That's awesome, Kram!!! You totally deserve it. :clap:

Now, how about using your newfound connections to get some other hopefuls in? ;)

I got a phone call from Lizbeth? on thursday that i was accepted. Anyone know how long it takes to get a package?

Enough, Upstate. Start pulling off the HPA already :) Congrats to all that have been accepted, waiting patiently for the nod. Hope they clear the HPA this year.

superso said:
I got a phone call from Lizbeth? on thursday that i was accepted. Anyone know how long it takes to get a package?
congrats !!!! Usually takes about 1 week :)

The package includes the following texts

Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach (Books)
by Dawn B., PH.D. Marks, Allan D. Marks, Colleen M. Smith

Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry
by Pamela C. Champe, Richard A., Ph.D. Harvey (1st edition Green)

Thompson & Thompson Genetics in Medicine, Sixth Edition
by Robert L. Nussbaum, Roderick R. McInnes, Huntington F. Willard

Essential Clinical Anatomy (2nd Edition)
by Keith L. Moore, A. M. R. Agur, Keith Moore, Keith L. Clinically Oriented Anatomy Moore

High-Yield Gross Anatomy (The Science of Review) (2nd edition)
by Ronald W., Phd Dudek

(Netter Atlas is given free by the Alumni association at Upstate)

Neuroscience (2nd edition)
by Dale Purves, George J. Augustine, David Fitzpatrick, Lawrence C. Katz, Anthony-Samuel Lamantia, Jomes O. McNamara, S. Mark Williams

Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems (6th edition)
by Duane E., Ph.D. Haines

Basic Histology: Text & Atlas, 10th Edition (2 separate books)
by Luis Carlos Junqueira, Jose Carneiro

Textbook of Medical Physiology (1st and latest edition)
by Walter Boron, Emile L. Boulpaep

Physiology (Saunders Text and Review Series) 2nd edition
by Linda S. Costanzo

This list of text covers all of the first year courses except for the Practice of Medicine Course (POM) in which it would be helpful to purchase a

Mosby's Guide to Physical Examination
by Henry M. Seidel, Jane W. Ball, Joyce E. Dains, G. William Benedict

Resolving Ethical Dilemmas: A Guide for Clinicians
by Bernard, MD Lo

Epidemiology by Leon Gordis (I'll toss that one in for free since I have an older edition of it)

I'm willing to part with all of the texts that I listed earlier plus the old Epidemiology book all for $250. They should cover all of the required textbooks you'll need for the first year basic science courses based on this year;s and last year's curriculum syllabi. A cell biology text, which I don't have, is sometimes recommended for the Molecular Foundations of Medicine Course in the fall. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested. I'll make the final transaction with you during your orientation week in August. Cheers!

Cerberus said:
ouch, i'm the only "Joe Waitlist" who's responded..DAMN YOU SDN!

Me too...but I don't really care even though i don't have a single acceptance. Everyone there was nice and all but I vowed to never set foot in upstate NY again. I was kinda shocked by getting on there waitlist since I have a 33 mcat and 3.6 gpa and thought my interview went ok. But whatever, their loss (yes I'm bitter about essentially getting rejected by them, lol).

hey ...

for some strange reason I never received information about the second look opportunity from the school but from reading posts on here .. it looks like it's going to be May 09.

Does anyone know if the school is going to be covering any expenses?

lakersfan said:
Me too...but I don't really care even though i don't have a single acceptance. Everyone there was nice and all but I vowed to never set foot in upstate NY again. I was kinda shocked by getting on there waitlist since I have a 33 mcat and 3.6 gpa and thought my interview went ok. But whatever, their loss (yes I'm bitter about essentially getting rejected by them, lol).

There isn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason with Upstate's acceptances... one of my interviewers told me that he'd "love to have me there," the other told me, "I think you're in!", I'm a legacy, and yet... I didn't get in! It's very interesting...

sigh waiting....