Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was meant ironically

I dunno, maybe you thought they were super boujee

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My kids have taken some nasty post bath falls. Their bathroom is basically covered in bathmats now.
Im literally thinking of getting fluffy slippers and multiple bathmats so I don'f fall in my veneer floor apartment ( at home the upstairs floor has carpet so when I come outta the shower its a carpeted floor). And this guy's like " Nahh"

I used to tell/joke with my coworkers, it'll be horrible if one died on a Friday night - No one would know until at the very least Monday afternoon (bc you didn't show up to work) especially if people/family don't check on you daily/routinely.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Another home alone fear- Im trying to master so indoor, at home workouts for when I move out in case gyms are still closed and I don't wanna be jogging outside in a new area. Does anybody feel nervous doing wierd stretchy workouts while home alone? Like burpees or yoga? Like what if I fall lol.

Another home alone fear- Im trying to master so indoor, at home workouts for when I move out in case gyms are still closed and I don't wanna be jogging outside in a new area. Does anybody feel nervous doing wierd stretchy workouts while home alone? Like burpees or yoga? Like what if I fall lol.

I mean a burpee is a controlled fall. Do you have osteoporosis or something? If you fall you fall. These questions about falling are confusing me.

Reactions: 2 users
So random question about CVs. @freak7 or @libertyyne might have a good answer. I had an abstract accepted to the CAP annual meeting and I will be one of the authors presenting it. It is also being published in the October edition of CAP's journal. Everything I've read says not to double dip and to pick one place to list it. Is it better to list it as a poster presentation or as a published abstract (obviously I would list it appropriately and not say it was published until it actually is--just thinking ahead)? In case it matters, the CAP meeting is the big meeting in pathology AFAIK. Last year, the abstracts were all published together. So I'm thinking it's probably better to list it as a presentation, but I wanted a second opinion.

double dip.
So random question about CVs. @freak7 or @libertyyne might have a good answer. I had an abstract accepted to the CAP annual meeting and I will be one of the authors presenting it. It is also being published in the October edition of CAP's journal. Everything I've read says not to double dip and to pick one place to list it. Is it better to list it as a poster presentation or as a published abstract (obviously I would list it appropriately and not say it was published until it actually is--just thinking ahead)? In case it matters, the CAP meeting is the big meeting in pathology AFAIK. Last year, the abstracts were all published together. So I'm thinking it's probably better to list it as a presentation, but I wanted a second opinion.

Seperate list as poster presentation and location and seperate location for pub
IMO.

Guys,
So lately I've had to write a lot of professional emails to the med school I got into. Whenever I have a question about something, I tend to end with " please advise" .
I decided to look up that phrase the other day to see if it's too formal, and it turns out some people view it as " sarcastic" :confused:
Gosh. Professional emails are so complicated.

Also! I've been using both my new student email and my application email to contact the School. I just sent a "followup" email on a matter to a person I had previously contacted with my student email..using my app email.

Oops. It should be fine, my app email is just my firstname_lastname, so since I signed off both emails w my ( very unique) first name, I think they should be able to tell who I am. If not I can say " oops! I've been using two emails to contact NYITCOM and I used the wrong one.")

So complex.

Members don't see this ad :)
*not quoting in case you delete*

I think you're fine using "please advise". My only concern is that it may seem overly formal. I've never heard of anyone saying it seemed sarcastic or rude.

Agree that professional emails are a pain though. I'm from a very not professional background so there are all these rules/formalities (read doublespeak) that I have no clue about.

As someone who has sent and received a lot of professional emails, "please advise" depends on context (and how the rest of your email sounds) - it can either come across as genuinely just asking for advice (in an otherwise friendly email) or it can come across a bit demanding/snippy. You can always mix it up with some "Thanks" or "I appreciate your help". If you're signing ALL of your emails with "please advise", maybe cut back a bit. Like, definitely don't use it in place of "Sincerely," or "Best," or your polite signoff of choice.

Most professional emails can sound sarcastic if read in the right tone of voice tbh. I doubt your school cares about specific word choice as long as you are being generally polite.

Relevant meme (I'm neutral good)

1595879291972.png

• Hmm
In the Navy, we have an entire book on how to craft emails (and other correspondence). They are supposed to be ended with “Very respectfully,” or “V/R,”. If you are writing to someone junior, you can use “R,” but most people don’t because it comes off as elitist.

In the Navy, we have an entire book on how to craft emails (and other correspondence). They are supposed to be ended with “Very respectfully,” or “V/R,”. If you are writing to someone junior, you can use “R,” but most people don’t because it comes off as elitist.
Yeah that's a lil' excessive

Getting Carib med school/ other med schools MS or SMP programs/ adverts to apply to xyz school of medicine hits totally different once you have an acceptance....:D

• Haha
As someone who has sent and received a lot of professional emails, "please advise" depends on context (and how the rest of your email sounds) - it can either come across as genuinely just asking for advice (in an otherwise friendly email) or it can come across a bit demanding/snippy. You can always mix it up with some "Thanks" or "I appreciate your help". If you're signing ALL of your emails with "please advise", maybe cut back a bit. Like, definitely don't use it in place of "Sincerely," or "Best," or your polite signoff of choice.

Most professional emails can sound sarcastic if read in the right tone of voice tbh. I doubt your school cares about specific word choice as long as you are being generally polite.

Relevant meme (I'm neutral good)

View attachment 314148
I'm one of those people who default to "Thanks" because I don't like thinking about the myriad of ways to end an email that I already have to triple check for errors, but wouldn't it sound odd if a guy ended his emails with "Warmly"? Or am I just being gender conforming?

I'm one of those people who default to "Thanks" because I don't like thinking about the myriad of ways to end an email that I already have to triple check for errors, but wouldn't it sound odd if a guy ended his emails with "Warmly"? Or am I just being gender conforming?

tbh I don't actually know that I've ever seen anyone sign an email with "warmly", of any gender

When you start a tik tok comment war on a conservative page and now you're getting pelted with notifications when you should be studying and so you wanna answer them to make your point but you also need to study <<<<<<<<<

When you start a tik tok comment war on a conservative page and now you're getting pelted with notifications when you should be studying and so you wanna answer them to make your point but you also need to study <<<<<<<<<

I stopped having political conversations in the comments section of anything. Most of the people who go to post there don’t care about your point. They just want to yell their beliefs at people.

• Love
I stopped having political conversations in the comments section of anything. Most of the people who go to post there don’t care about your point. They just want to yell their beliefs at people.
I normally dont but I couldnt resist in this case. Honestly about half of it is reasonable debate ( like " public college cant be free but it should be cheaper") and some of it is just..typical righty garbage. Some of them are kids so I feel like its not their fault, their parents brain washed them

I normally dont but I couldnt resist in this case. Honestly about half of it is reasonable debate ( like " public college cant be free but it should be cheaper") and some of it is just..typical righty garbage. Some of them are kids so I feel like its not their fault, their parents brain washed them

Lol you can say the exact same stuff about the lefty garbage I see all over Facebook. That’s why I just ignore it all. The occasional good discussion doesn’t make up for the endless stream of nonsense from the extremely vocal minority of both sides for me. I’m much happier just scrolling on haha.

Except for COVID and vaccine stuff. Can’t ignore that.

Lol you can say the exact same stuff about the lefty garbage I see all over Facebook. That’s why I just ignore it all. The occasional good discussion doesn’t make up for the endless stream of nonsense from the extremely vocal minority of both sides for me. I’m much happier just scrolling on haha.

Except for COVID and vaccine stuff. Can’t ignore that.
I mean it's engineered, intentionally or unintentionally, to make you mad since the algorithms put so much emphasis on engagement.

I mean it's engineered, intentionally or unintentionally, to make you mad since the algorithms put so much emphasis on engagement.

If I only post pics of my cats and kids, and I only look at memes and my friends’ stuff, I avoid all that garbage.

Dang it, I failed my 1st med school test (test wasn't worth much but still). Not sure yet if I'm upset bc I've been sitting at my computer for the last hour contemplating.

• Sad
Dang it, I failed my 1st med school test (test wasn't worth much but still). Not sure yet if I'm upset bc I've been sitting at my computer for the last hour contemplating.
Was it like a pre comp exam ( or like, pre exam) before the real thing)? They're like worth 2 or 3 percent of your grade? We have a round of those coming up Mon and Im afraid of failing those also

Was it like a pre comp exam ( or like, pre exam) before the real thing)? They're like worth 2 or 3 percent of your grade? We have a round of those coming up Mon and Im afraid of failing those also
A quiz, scattered randomly throughout the semester. Different from the midterm and final.

A quiz, scattered randomly throughout the semester. Different from the midterm and final.
1) I've been doing too much studying and read your username as "enthesitis"
2) don't even trip. There have been times where I know that the material wasn't written up very well or it isnt going to make sense to me and honestly, I just make a realistic percentage goal for the quiz. One reading I had during M1 I literally set my goal for 20% because I was so low on comprehension

1) I've been doing too much studying and read your username as "enthesitis"
2) don't even trip. There have been times where I know that the material wasn't written up very well or it isnt going to make sense to me and honestly, I just make a realistic percentage goal for the quiz. One reading I had during M1 I literally set my goal for 20% because I was so low on comprehension
We have our first round of pre comp exams on Mon ( they're like pre exams and only worth 2-3 percent of your grade) , and Im just now getting used to the pace of the material and bringinf up my studying stamina for med school so Im just tryna get close to passing

It happens dude. Don’t stress. Med school is hard. I have a friend who failed the whole first module and went on to crush the rest of MS1, remediate for a P for that failed module, and is now an MS2 with me. One test or even a whole module doesn’t define your med school career.

We have our first round of pre comp exams on Mon ( they're like pre exams and only worth 2-3 percent of your grade) , and Im just now getting used to the pace of the material and bringinf up my studying stamina for med school so Im just tryna get close to passing
I just failed my first two pre comps. One was anatomy which I knew went badly because Im still figuring out how to study for it. For the other one Im a little surprised- I failed just barely but it's still scary.

Each of these is worth like two percent of our grade each so it's not significant. For anatomy, we need to get at least a 70 as an overall course grade and at least a 50 on the main exams ( not these pre comps, but the actual comprehensive exams). I got a 40 for anatomy so that one I actually fail failed.

I'm trying not to panic. Studying as much as I can, especially for anatomy, for the actual comprehensive exam. Just an update.

I just failed my first two pre comps. One was anatomy which I knew went badly because Im still figuring out how to study for it. For the other one Im a little surprised- I failed just barely but it's still scary.

Each of these is worth like two percent of our grade each so it's not significant. For anatomy, we need to get at least a 70 as an overall course grade and at least a 50 on the main exams ( not these pre comps, but the actual comprehensive exams). I got a 40 for anatomy so that one I actually fail failed.

I'm trying not to panic. Studying as much as I can, especially for anatomy, for the actual comprehensive exam. Just an update.

Anatomy is one of those things where everyone pretends like there’s only one way to study it (get in the lab!), but there are actually a number of ways.

I haven’t been in the lab except for our practicals since we went virtual except one time to look at a prosection because it had a weird anatomical variant and I wanted to see it in case it was on the exam.

Anki cadaver decks like umich can be extremely helpful because you can just hammer the structures home on actual cadavers without having to be in the lab. Plus you can see it from different angles on different bodies, which is helpful.

As far as studying goes, the thing I did that really helped me was to take each “view” and turn it into a map. So I would pick a starting location. This is a structure that is very easy to identify and can be found on any cadaver. For example, the aorta. Then, I learn things along paths. This works really well for vessels and nerves (tendons, muscled and **** too).

So I would say okay I’m going from the aorta to the appendix. Okay so first I turn onto the superior mesenteric artery, then I hit the ileocolic artery, then the appendicular artery, then I’m at the appendix.

Another example would be the brain. A super easy to identify thing is the lateral ventricle. So then I just learn the association between that and the thalamus and the caudate. They’re both right next to the ventricle, but the thalamus is right smack in the middle of the brain. So the caudate must be thing thing in front of it. Then I look at the relationship between that and the internal capsule. It’s like a river that goes right between that and the lentiform nucleus. And for that, it’s the putamen and the globus, which looks like two shrimps spooning. Big shrimp, little shrimp.

Etc. you just have to find the relationships. Anyway, that’s how I did anatomy. It worked great for me.

Anatomy is one of those things where everyone pretends like there’s only one way to study it (get in the lab!), but there are actually a number of ways.

I haven’t been in the lab except for our practicals since we went virtual except one time to look at a prosection because it had a weird anatomical variant and I wanted to see it in case it was on the exam.

Anki cadaver decks like umich can be extremely helpful because you can just hammer the structures home on actual cadavers without having to be in the lab. Plus you can see it from different angles on different bodies, which is helpful.

As far as studying goes, the thing I did that really helped me was to take each “view” and turn it into a map. So I would pick a starting location. This is a structure that is very easy to identify and can be found on any cadaver. For example, the aorta. Then, I learn things along paths. This works really well for vessels and nerves (tendons, muscled and **** too).

So I would say okay I’m going from the aorta to the appendix. Okay so first I turn onto the superior mesenteric artery, then I hit the ileocolic artery, then the appendicular artery, then I’m at the appendix.

Another example would be the brain. A super easy to identify thing is the lateral ventricle. So then I just learn the association between that and the thalamus and the caudate. They’re both right next to the ventricle, but the thalamus is right smack in the middle of the brain. So the caudate must be thing thing in front of it. Then I look at the relationship between that and the internal capsule. It’s like a river that goes right between that and the lentiform nucleus. And for that, it’s the putamen and the globus, which looks like two shrimps spooning. Big shrimp, little shrimp.

Etc. you just have to find the relationships. Anyway, that’s how I did anatomy. It worked great for me.
Where is this UMIch cadaver deck? Im trying to find it online and I can't. Is it an anki deck to download? Is it on reddit or the UMich Medical School website?
Thanks for your reply- Ive been making my own anki cards as I've resigned to that being a necessary evil to memorize blood/innervation/O/I and motions.

Where is this UMIch cadaver deck? Im trying to find it online and I can't. Is it an anki deck to download? Is it on reddit or the UMich Medical School website?
Thanks for your reply- Ive been making my own anki cards as I've resigned to that being a necessary evil to memorize blood/innervation/O/I and motions.

Found it on reddit. This is the one most people mean.

There is also a new one that has a lot of cards and might take some reorganizing if you want to study it by system.

Also I’m not sure if the umich deck has the innervation and stuff (never used it but I heard it is great), but if it doesn’t and you need that, the dope anatomy deck has all that and you can just only unsuspend those cards and do them in conjunction with the cadaver deck.

Found it on reddit. This is the one most people mean.

There is also a new one that has a lot of cards and might take some reorganizing if you want to study it by system.

I actually wanto study by region ( because that's what my anatomy class is based off of).

Thankyou!

I actually wanto study by region ( because that's what my anatomy class is based off of).

Thankyou!
That’s how I did it too. But I used my school’s deck so I can’t confirm how good the umich deck is. I’ve just heard a lot of people here and on Reddit recommend it.

That’s how I did it too. But I used my school’s deck so I can’t confirm how good the umich deck is. I’ve just heard a lot of people here and on Reddit recommend it.
Oh I thought you meant the UMich deck is organized by region and not system and I was saying " Oh Good that's how my school does it."

I'll check it out soon- finally went ahead and ordered a paperback of Grant's atlas. ( I thought an atlas wouldn't help, but it might).

So Med school starting has made me realize how much of an issue my ADHD is. Im hoping I can adjust and not have to go back on meds.

So Med school starting has made me realize how much of an issue my ADHD is. Im hoping I can adjust and not have to go back on meds.

Hope you can, but also don’t be afraid to go back on meds if you need to. Last thing you want is to have to repeat a year because you fought it.

Hope you can, but also don’t be afraid to go back on meds if you need to. Last thing you want is to have to repeat a year because you fought it.
For now I think Im above water. I have been like, finishing lectures and stuff its just disproportionately hard to focus. Part of that is bc I need to build stamina to study longer and deal w the volume of information. For now it looks like its not something thats actually putting me behind. But there's also the fact that the first module allows you to lean on knowledge from college.

Plus, my physical health is much better w/o psych meds and I's love to keep it that way.

Would anyone mind answering the question: when most schools ask about connections to their school/state, do they usually ONLY ask about immediate family (siblings, parents, grandparents) or do some of them also ask about direct relatives (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc)?