Official Loyola Entering Class of 2005 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasmoneLUMC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since one of the people in another thread recommended that someone start this thread, I thought I'd go for it! Let's use it for questions and updates about application process, housing, and anything else that comes along before the end of July. How many folks are definitely going to Loyola? Post on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump...anyone else? I loved the school...just need to figure out how to pay for it. Pretty expensive compared to my state school, but I expect I'll be there next year.

brats800 said:
Bump...anyone else? I loved the school...just need to figure out how to pay for it. Pretty expensive compared to my state school, but I expect I'll be there next year.

I'm in the same boat. My state school would be affordable. On the other hand, Loyola and Chicago would be awesome and worth the money. Maybe they'll bless me with some aid. :luck: Speaking of scholarships, does Loyola give many?

Members don't see this ad :)
from how i understand it, loyola does give some aid, but i believe it is need-based and that includes your parental info. i'm gunna just have to take the loans and pay them back later but it'll be worth it cause i loved the school.

I think UIC was $38K for 2004 incoming vs. Loyola $49K for incoming. $10K difference seems like a lot, but quality of life differences (tight community, facilities, class structure, etc.), if Loyola's are a plus to you, seem worth it. Other thoughts?

JasmoneLUMC said:
I think UIC was $38K for 2004 incoming vs. Loyola $49K for incoming. $10K difference seems like a lot, but quality of life differences (tight community, facilities, class structure, etc.), if Loyola's are a plus to you, seem worth it. Other thoughts?

49k!! Their website says it was 34,500 for 2004 incoming. I'll double check and post a link in a bit.

Oops! That was everything, not just tuition.

Congrats to all those accepted at loyola!
I am 90% sure I will be at loyola this fall :) Have any of you started looking into housing yet? I am seriously considering living in the city and commuting- anyone else?

It's looking like Loyola for me! I'm in the evening after an interview at another school and the more I do the more I think I should be in Chicago. I have a few hesitations, but baby Loyola looks great. Does anybody know about the area? Where should we live? I've been thinking about buying a house... what sorts of costs are we looking at in the area? Woohoo... now I'm getting psyched to change my sig to Loyola '09!!!

-dope-

Is Loyola still offering interviews? If so, I want one.

I am pretty sure that I will be at Loyola next year. I like everything about it except that it's located just outside of the city instead of in it. But I like the hospital and the school a lot, so I think that will outweigh the location.

on one of the housing pages for loyola (and in the 'offical class of 2008' thread for this years m-1's) it was stated that many of the loyola students live in either forest park or oak park. that's where i'm looking. its a pretty nice area and relatively close to school. i'm looking to buy an appartment....anyone know how i'd find out if some upperclassmen were moving out of their appts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently live in a house in North Riverside with an M3 near the school. There is going to be at least one, maybe two openings in the house by the beginning of the summer. I think it'll be posted on the Loyola Med Apartment Gazette that is available to incoming and current students. If you want a heads up when the ad is put in, PM me. The openings would be for male(s).

I'm an M1 at Loyola...Welcome to all those in Class of 2009. Good luck trying to keep with the steller skillz of class o' 2008! haha!

PM me if anyone have any questions....don't worry too much, and make sure you relax and have fun before med. school starts!! I absolutely love Loyola, if you come here you're making the correct decision!

Brats...most people rent somewhere in the Western Suburbs (Oak Park and Forest Park are the most popular). Very few buy, or rent homes. Compared to other parts of the country, rent around here sucks. But you can find a nice place for around $600/month if you really wanna save money. Personally, I pay $720/month, because it's in a very safe neighborhood 5 minutes from school. School also puts out an "apartment gazette" with a lot of apartments for rent...many are from departing 4th years. I recommend starting there.

brats800 said:
where are my other future ramblers? i'm sure there's more than just us few ;)

i'm waitlisted as of 1/24, but i REALLY want in.

do people get off the waitlist before may 15th? if so, how? is there a preliminary "unofficial" ranking? (cuz the dean said that they don't rank until may 15th.)

thanks!

i don't remember if there is waitlist movement prior to the 15th...i might be wrong but i'd kindof doubt it. you could always check last year's thread to see when they started moving...

good luck. i hope to see you all this fall!

indo said:
Is Loyola still offering interviews? If so, I want one.

i'm pretty sure it's only for their waitlist now which sort of sucks. I'm not even sure it's worth going to such an interview. It's one thing to be put on a waitlist after the interview; it's quite another to know before going into it that the best you can be offered is a waitlist.

Just curious what criteria you people think Loyola uses to accept/wailist/reject people? How do they compare with schools like Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, Cornell? :confused:

isn't class of 2005 about to graduate?

LoveDoc said:
isn't class of 2005 about to graduate?

Entering class of 2005, not graduating class of 2005.

Hey all,

Does anyone know how Loyola is on whether we keep our grades up during senior year before matriculation? The acceptance letter is somewhat ambiguous, as it says only that the pre-reqs need to be completed at the level of scholastic standing "evidenced by the credentials in your file." It doesn't say that you need to keep your grades up in all your other classes.

THe reason I ask is that my grades this year have suffered some because of interviews. I haven't gone below B's (yet) but the "credentials in my file" put my GPA at >3.9, a GPA that I fell woefully short of last term (~3.2). If I got mostly B's and one A last term because I spent half the term on a airplane, should I worry?

How is everyone interpreting this contigency of your acceptance?

Thanks!

I would think that it'd have to be a very drastic drop in performance. Meaning, you'd have to fail a class in order to make them to rethink admission. Outside of that, they might consider it in scholarship meetings, but they must be aware of the interview drags.

my2c

-dope-

Hi guys!

I know it is really early to be thinking about apartments, but I got the following email in my mailbox this morning and thought I'd pass it on. The 100 Forest Place apartments are really nice and quite a few students live there. The only downside is that they are on the spendier side for this area.

The apartment gazette will probably come out in May or June. A lot of folks find their apartments through the listings. There is a guy in our class who is trying to put together a "Class of 2008's Guide to surviving the first few weeks at Stritch." It will probably include apartment hunting advice so stay tuned.

In the meantime, don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions.

Laurie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alsbury, Steven (039033-100 Forest Place)
> Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 4:58 PM
> To: '[email protected]'
> Subject: Special apartment discounts for LOYOLA STUDENTS
>
>
> Need a new apartment?
> Like to live close to Loyola?
> Want to walk to shopping?
> Want to walk to first class restaurants?
> Want a fitness center right out your door?
> Want to get to Chicago in 15 minutes?
> Want to get your studies done and meet other students?
>
> Then you need to MOVE!
>
> but where?
>
> 100 Forest Place Apartments
> Luxury apartment rentals in the heart of convenient historic OAK PARK!
> Oak Park's premiere luxury rental community!
>
> Special added discounts for all
>
> LOYOLA STUDENTS AND STAFF ONLY!!!
>
> 100 Forest Place is the chosen rental community for all Loyola
> students, residents, and faculty! Come on in and take a look for
> yourself...
>
> http://www.aimco.com/AptSearch/PropShow.asp?PropertyID=039033
>
>
> Bring in, or refer to this e-mail, and get a special ADDED BONUS
> DISCOUNT!
>
> Spring and summer students have already begun to reserve their
> apartment homes!
>
> Act now or lose out!
>
> Call NOW for information or to schedule an appointment.
>
> (708) 524-0100
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Steven Alsbury
> Community Manager
> 100 Forest Place Apartments
> Oak Park, Illinois 60301
> (708) 524-0100 Office
> (708) 524-8320 Fax
>
> "Providing quality apartment homes, in a respectful environment, by
> people who care!"

Psycho Doctor said:
i'm pretty sure it's only for their waitlist now which sort of sucks. I'm not even sure it's worth going to such an interview. It's one thing to be put on a waitlist after the interview; it's quite another to know before going into it that the best you can be offered is a waitlist.

Just curious what criteria you people think Loyola uses to accept/wailist/reject people? How do they compare with schools like Hopkins, NYU, Columbia, Cornell? :confused:

Not that I know a lot about Loyola, but from what I can tell they are very interested in their essays and students that fit well with their goals, whatever they are. Research and stats seem much less important than at other schools. Avg stats there are just below 30 and around a 3.6 so thats quite different from the schools you listed. I am planning to withdraw my app, havn't heard anything since early fall, my last interview was in October and I wouldn't see myself attending over my other acceptances, though I would have liked to have seen it and judged from that because I like Chicago.

I've been accepted to Loyola and am just waiting to hear from my state school. If I get into my state school I am going to have a tough decision to make because Loyola is awesome. I'm psyched to be potentially going there!

So how would an accepted applicant go about getting a second look at Loyola? I interviewed in October, so I need to refresh my memory a bit before making a final decision. Is it possible to just drop in some day in April? Or should I arrange to meet with someone in admissions?

Also, when I visit will there be info available at the school about housing in the area? I already know that Oak Park would be awesome, but I'm interested in seeing North Riverside and Berwyn.

p.s. I'm curious to know more about the other folks that will probably be going to Loyola next year. PM me if you get a chance. I'd like to know a little bit about you folks.

Does Loyola not have a 2nd look? I was really hoping to go back to Chicago before I make a final decision. I'm going off of a few-hour impression from four months ago, which was indeed very positive, but fading in my mind.

As far as I know, there is no second look. When I applied in 2002-2003 the dept. of admissions was very nice about letting me come back for a day and shadow an M1. I ended up following a person from my undergrad that I met at my interview day, but they can set you up with somebody if you don't have anyone in mind.

k-monger said:
So how would an accepted applicant go about getting a second look at Loyola? I interviewed in October, so I need to refresh my memory a bit before making a final decision. Is it possible to just drop in some day in April? Or should I arrange to meet with someone in admissions?

Also, when I visit will there be info available at the school about housing in the area? I already know that Oak Park would be awesome, but I'm interested in seeing North Riverside and Berwyn.

p.s. I'm curious to know more about the other folks that will probably be going to Loyola next year. PM me if you get a chance. I'd like to know a little bit about you folks.

PluckyDuk8 is right. You can call and they will be happy to set something up for you. I highly recommend coming back to see the school. It is a great low-stress way to get a better feel for the place.

Do most first year students have roommates or do they live in alone?
Thanks.

so i have to send in my financial aid folder this week. anyone know what they really want as far as the parental 1040 tax stuff? my parents have multiple pages of their taxes (i have no idea what it all is) and there's no way its going to all get photocopied and sent. can i just send in the final page that they sign and have that be good? cause most of the $ info gets on the online part of our financial aid request...

Why can't you just go to kinkos and run off a copy?

brats800 said:
so i have to send in my financial aid folder this week. anyone know what they really want as far as the parental 1040 tax stuff? my parents have multiple pages of their taxes (i have no idea what it all is) and there's no way its going to all get photocopied and sent. can i just send in the final page that they sign and have that be good? cause most of the $ info gets on the online part of our financial aid request...

Call the office and ask. They are very helpful. I had to fax my info last year and I think that they wanted all the pages, but I don't remember exactly.

Also, I wanted to mention to everyone planning on going to Loyola next year that some folks in my class are putting together a guide for you to help you get settled. The school also operates an online forum for you to ask questions of current students. You should get access to it fairly soon.

Laurie

I mentioned in my January 27 post in this thread of a possible 2 spots available in a North Riverside house.

As an FYI, the housing people at Loyola should have it in their computer now for 2 spots. Quick deets: super convenient 2 minute drive from campus, nice, quiet, diverse neighborhood with forest preserve at end of street. I'll be an M1 and other roomie will be an M4. His parents own the home, and we rent from them.

Any others planning on going to Loyola for sure? I'm getting excited to meet you all. Let's stoke this thread up some more!

another thing that i'd be interested in hearing from my other incoming M1's and the current loyola students....what do you all do for a computer? mine from undergrad is very dead and i'm looking to buy new a new one. do students get a discount from anywhere? what is recommended? what should i make sure i get? its been a while since i looked for a computer so i'm out of the loop. any info would help. ;)

I think most universities have a "student portal" for discount on computers. Apple and Dell both have them, though I think more schools have the Apple connection. You may want to check out the www.luc.edu website and search there. I'm going to stick with my laptop for now.

Hey guys! I'll be going to Loyola next year and I'm really excited! Do any of you happen to know when orientation starts? I want to plan a vacation during the summer, so if any of you know, that would be awesome! Can't wait to meet you all soon :)

hey future classmates! i got my financial aid award (i use the word 'award' in the loosest sense of the word based on them offering me only loans...) email today from loyola. my question is how much $ we should really have to spend aside from the $ taken out for tuition/fees/insurance/etc...my thing says that i'd have $x,xxx amount left over each semester for books/housing/food/utilities/automotive/personal expenses (plus anything else i didn't think of to include in that list). how much should i really plan to get above what the actual loyola expenses are? their estimates seem slightly high to me...

I received my "award" today, too. I'd like to get some advice. On the one hand, if it's generously estimated, then a little extra cash might not be a bad thing. On the other hand, every bit taken out adds up in the long haul. I looked at transportation, for example, as car insurance for 12 months + gas at $20/week for 12 months as I compared what I thought I'd need and what they estimated. I know for gas that's a gross overestimation given I live so close to school but it still had me at about $200 less than their estimation. But that all said, since I'm from Chicago, others might throw airfare in there. I think I might lower how much I take out but not by too much. I'd rather have a little extra than a little less. What do others think? Any current students want to weigh in? Laurie B?

wow, aside from a 1300 grant it's ALL loans. that means owing 200k after 4 yrs. i'll be withdrawing my application tomorrow. hope this brings hope to some waitlisters.

Is anyone else having trouble opening the three attachments? Yesterday they worked fine but today I can't open them.

How common is it for people to receive "grants". I was awarded all loans unfortunately.

wxl31 said:
wow, aside from a 1300 grant it's ALL loans. that means owing 200k after 4 yrs. i'll be withdrawing my application tomorrow. hope this brings hope to some waitlisters.
These financial aid posts made the decision all the easier to decline the interview invitation today. So, thanks for posting that info!

JasmoneLUMC said:
I received my "award" today, too. I'd like to get some advice. On the one hand, if it's generously estimated, then a little extra cash might not be a bad thing. On the other hand, every bit taken out adds up in the long haul. I looked at transportation, for example, as car insurance for 12 months + gas at $20/week for 12 months as I compared what I thought I'd need and what they estimated. I know for gas that's a gross overestimation given I live so close to school but it still had me at about $200 less than their estimation. But that all said, since I'm from Chicago, others might throw airfare in there. I think I might lower how much I take out but not by too much. I'd rather have a little extra than a little less. What do others think? Any current students want to weigh in? Laurie B?

I'm no expert so my first suggestion is to get more info from the folks in the financial aid office. That said, I believe that Loyola overestimates the budget so that people have some flexibiility and comfort. It is up to you how you think your budget will turn out. Here is a list of my expenses to help you:

Note that I share an apartment with a classmate and these numbers reflect my share of the bills.
Rent $515/mo. (includes parking, gas, and water, sewer, garbage)
Electric Bill $25/mo.
Land Line + DSL bill $35/mo.
Cell Phone $60/mo.
Gas $50/mo. (I drive to and from downtown a lot!!)
Grocery $180/mo.

Yearly costs
Health insurance $1100
Renters insurance $200
Car insurance $1200 (new car with good colision coverage)
Books $600 (I bought most of my books used.)

I'm not sure if I'm covering all the major expenses here - this is just off the top of my head. I also spend more than I'd like to admit on eating out and plane tickets (long-distance relationships are expensive).

I'm a bit hazy on the specifics, but I think you can return what you take out with no penalty. I think you still end up paying the interest for the time you've had the loan, but at least there are not additional fees. If I recall, you don't have to pay any interest if you return any part of the loan at the beginning of the loan. My personal suggestion is to take out a generous loan and see how you do during the first semester, especially since there are always a lot on random initial costs that come up. If you have money remaining, reduce your loan at the beginning of the second semester. Check with Donna Sobie in the Financial Aid office to make sure that this will work out OK.

I hope this helps.

Laurie

Hi all! I'm deciding between Stritch and two other schools in the coming weeks. I LOVED Loyola, Chicago, the students, the faculty I met, almost everything about the school. The big question mark for me is that I'm definitely not Catholic... I'm not religious at all and I have major ethical disagreements with the Catholic Church. My interviewer (a self-described "recovering Catholic"--meaning not one) told me that he didn't find his own disagreements to be an issue at all. The only areas, he said, that it has an effect is that the hospital doesn't perform abortions and they don't do stem-cell research. Would I be able to talk about safe sex with teenagers under my care--distribute condoms, prescribe the morning-after pill, etc? Would we be taught about abortion procedures, indications, contraindications, etc? Could we refer patients to hospitals that do carry out those procedures? I guess my concern is: how far do the curriculum and practicing rights for medical students, residents, and attendings depart from that of a school with no religous affiliation. I really don't want to discuss the morality of these things, I just want to know what practical differences there are between Loyola and some other schools.

Also, nobody said much about student involvement on different committees, like a Curriculum Committee, Admissions Committee, Ethics Committee, etc. Is that because students aren't involved much in the administration of the school or just because I didn't hear about it. Are there even student seats on administrative committees?

Nice gym eh?

YzIa said:
These financial aid posts made the decision all the easier to decline the interview invitation today. So, thanks for posting that info!

Hey Yzla, not all of the awards were terribly modest. I got a $12000 grant from Loyola, so they are definately giving out decent grants. Considering tuition is <35K, that's over 1/3 of tuition paid for. BTW, I'll probably be attending elsewhere, so that money will likely be going to someone else... (though I really loved Loyola..)