Official 2019 COMLEX Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathoTurnUp1865

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure why this hasn’t been started yet, so I thought I’d start it.
Already took step 2 and got a 235, I take level 2 towards the end of July. Yeah I know wtf? But that’s how I live life. Plan is to complete Uworld a third time, complete combank and comquest as well as kaplan if time allows and who knows maybe I’ll just complete Amboss too if I’m feeling frisky. I’m keeping up with all of my anki decks in the mean time.
Anybody have any insight into what the new format is going to be like? Also, wtf happened to combank’s format? The seemed to try to clean it up but it still sucks compared to the others :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm also with many people who had a decent score drop on Level 2 compared to Level 1/practice tests. And not brilliant student either. No USMLE scores either.
Level 1: 510-520
Level 2: 465-475. (For perspective, my comquest/combank predicted me a score of 580's, comsae's ranged within 530+. And this was 2 weeks before I even took my Level 2)
That being said, in retrospect, I was so burned out in general from taking 3 consecutive shelf exams towards the end of 3rd year, followed by my PE exam 1 week later, and then the Level 2 CE 2 weeks after that. And I didn't sleep too well the night before either, so I'm pretty sure that also contributed to my score. The Level 2 CE really felt hard, and I was completely bewildered and at loss for words for 60-70% of my exam. I walked out my exam feeling like I failed it miserably and was preparing to retake it, so right now, I'm actually really grateful and happy with my score.

Granted, I guess a part of the reason why I'm still satisfied with what I have is that I've been set on family medicine for a long time. I've already completed away rotations for family medicine and have gotten good reviews. And the majority of the programs that I am interested in are:
1. In DO friendly regions
2. Dually accredited or have plenty of DO's on staff
3. Community based (although a very, very few are affiliated with a university as well)
And many of the programs that I was interested in, I've had a chance to talk to - they use Level 1 score more as a cutoff than Level 2. And generally, they were more interested in fit and personality than board scores (generally, >450 was a good number to have). So I have much to be thankful for.

Either way, I send congrats to everyone, regardless of whether your board scores increased or decreased (or stayed the same). I think applause to you all is well deserved, considering that these exams were really difficult. And regardless of what you get, I am sure that you will make fine physicians because we all worked so hard to get here.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Was the mean reset this year? Has anyone speculated what it is based on those bar graphs in our score report (lol)

Another one for the underdogs:

Level 1: 485, Level 2: 634
Step 1: 208, Step 2: 256

Only used Uworld + Googling everything. Learned some sacrum a couple days before Level 2. Felt pretty bad leaving the test, but not as bad as I felt for Step 2/Step 1
Planning on IM, hoping to squeeze into an academic program.

Edit: added Step score

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Long time lurker.

Level 1: 561
Step 1: 236

COMSAE Form B: 543 (5 weeks out)
BSA 101: 544 (2 weeks out)
Truelearn 8 hour: 640 (2 weeks out)
BSA 102: 518 (1 week out) (don't know what happened here)

And then somehow...

Level 2: 686

Best of luck to everyone and keep your heads up! Things will work out!

Reactions: 1 users
Was the mean reset this year? Has anyone speculated what it is based on those bar graphs in our score report (lol)
Using pixel measurements, mean is ~587 with SD of ~43. So mean actually went up from last year.

EDIT: Someone pointed out that the pass rate would be 100% with the above SD, but I used the "First-Time Takers Who Passed" group. I then remeasured pixels for the groups below, and SD still doesn't quite make sense, but the means seem correct if the bar graphs are even accurate in the first place:

"First-Time Takers Who Passed": Mean ~587
"All Takers": Mean ~583

Last edited:
  • Wow
who else took their level 2 on 7/26 and felt it was actually pretty easy overall?
That feeling always makes me super nervous that the curve is going to be killer

Reactions: 3 users
Ya no comlex exam ever has had a SD of 43. Your SD would make the pass rate 100%...
Well, I did originally use the bar graph of "First-Time Takers Who Passed," so of course pass rate would be 100% for the group I failed to mention. Mean definitely seems in the right ballpark for that group since it matches exactly to my actual score (601). The SD bars seem to be completely inaccurate because it somehow shows a SD for All Takers that imply pass rate = 100% on that graph as well. #NBOME

I went back and remeasured pixels this time for both "First-Time Takers Who Passed" and "All Takers":
"First-Time Takers Who Passed": Mean ~587, SD ~43?????????????
"All Takers": Mean ~583, SD~46????????????? (Yeah, that SD bar is bogus, maybe the bar is actually supposed to be double the length? Because an SD of 92 would definitely make more sense.)

Because my pixel measuring skills have been called into question, anyone want to confirm what I found with the lame SD?

Screenshot 2019-08-16 04.17.29.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OK OK soooo I will now join in on the convo now that the sting is subsiding.... Took the exam 08/01 and Im not sure why. It did not test the extent of my medical knowledge and I am not good at figuring out what others are thinking. Just praying I pass cause this game playing is exhausting my brain. Shout out to all those who have prevailed through another flaming hoop.

who else took their level 2 on 7/26 and felt it was actually pretty easy overall?
That feeling always makes me super nervous that the curve is going to be killer

Yeah.. but I’m not trying to be overconfident. ****ing nbome knows how to troll and pull the rug out from under ya.. everyone keeps talking about Latin terms but I didn’t have any.. curves gonna be a bitch, I’m assuming

Long time lurker here. After Level 1, I was pretty convinced I could only do FM. With a slight bump in my Level 2, is it possible to (realistically) get in to something outside FM? Like IM? I think EM is still way out of the question. Thoughts?

Level 1: 440-450
Level 2: 510-520

Long time lurker here. After Level 1, I was pretty convinced I could only do FM. With a slight bump in my Level 2, is it possible to (realistically) get in to something outside FM? Like IM? I think EM is still way out of the question. Thoughts?

You should go for what you want and have a plan B if you’re not a strong candidate. It’s getting late in the game to go to EM because of the standardized video interview and LOR requirements. There’s always a range of competitiveness for programs. There’s academic prestigious FM programs and there’s bottom of the barrel EM programs. Depends on where you want to end up geographically. If you want large academic vs community hospital base. You’re not excluded by your test scores for most any specialty, the question is what do you want?

EM has become competitive, yes. From my understanding of the programs I’ve been to, they mostly choose on fit instead of scores. However, if they like two candidates equally then it’s going to come down to their CV and scores. Also, connections definitely help lol also if you don’t have an svi, you’ll probably be screened out. The people from my school who did not match em last year was solely because they didn’t either have their svi or sloe. So if you don’t have those two things your chances have gone down significantly irregardless of your board scores.

Failed level 1 first attempt, 488 on retake

Step 2 CK 258, COMLEX level 2 CE 618.

COMSAE D 676; Shelf scores: 115 surgery, 108 IM, 109 OBGYN, 104 Peds, 107 Psych, 99 OMM, 87 FM

Good-luck all!
Were you notified by your school, in advance of scores being officially released, that you did not pass Comlex?.

Hey guys, I just finished my Step 2 the other day, and now I'm trying to cram OMM before Comlex 2 coming up. Quick question about TrueLearn because I never really used it during the first two years of medical school, and I'm wanting to utilize TrueLearn to practice some OMM/OPP questions.

On TrueLearn, it lists the different Competency Domains. If I just want to strictly do OMM/OMT/OPP questions (with no medicine or other type of questions), do I just do the first domain "Osteopathic Principles, Practice, and Manipulative Treatment" or is OMM found in the other domains as well?

Thanks!

Hey guys, I just finished my Step 2 the other day, and now I'm trying to cram OMM before Comlex 2 coming up. Quick question about TrueLearn because I never really used it during the first two years of medical school, and I'm wanting to utilize TrueLearn to practice some OMM/OPP questions.

On TrueLearn, it lists the different Competency Domains. If I just want to strictly do OMM/OMT/OPP questions (with no medicine or other type of questions), do I just do the first domain "Osteopathic Principles, Practice, and Manipulative Treatment" or is OMM found in the other domains as well?

Thanks!
If you click Under the 2019 comlex blueprint tab, there is a option to choose systems. After that it will organize each questions by subject and systems . There should be around 212 Omm questions

Mid-660s Level 1, high 240s Step 1, average of 119 on my COMATs, high 670s on
COMSAE form 104, but still feeling absolutely awful about how that test went in mid-late July. Too much stats for my taste and I had to guess between chi-squared, t-test, and ANOVA on at least 10 questions. I’m feeling much worse than I did coming out of both Step 1 and Level 1, but hopefully it’s just because my dread is compounded by the fact my Step 2 score will be released the same day this week and my PE results will be released next Wednesday.

Looks like I’ll be checking back in Wednesday or Thursday.

finally took ce yesterday. lots of poorly worded/vaguely portrayed vignettes. tons of medical-legal/ethics/biostatistics questions but i did the comquest questions for them and a couple of latin words from comquest came up on the exam which was nice. biostats was more conceptual than actual math. I also noticed on the comlex ce blueprint 'community health/health promotion' was a heavily tested area so i did the comquest specific questions in that discipline and a ton of those questions came up on my actual exam. lots of step 1 material came back too [like biochem disorders] but they were very straight forward. omm was very easy to handle, comquest prepared well for that. for reference, i did combank to study for comats throughout my third year [finishing all combank comat questions] and have been doing uworld during dedicated. i did about 100 comquest omm questions and all the biostats/medical-legal questions on comquest, plus about 100 of the health promotion questions [there are total 155] 2 days before comlex. I also listened to divine intervention podcast #137 rapid review for step 2 and the high yield im/ob/peds podcast which was excellent. also my exam crashed in the last block after i played a video and I had 30 min left lol. waitin on my results to release sept 9 D:

So nervous I want to vomit. Can’t even remember if I thought it was easy or hard. Always feel like I fail everything. No clue what is going to happen.

So nervous I want to vomit. Can’t even remember if I thought it was easy or hard. Always feel like I fail everything. No clue what is going to happen.

You’ll be fine. You’ll pass and not have another year to go before you have to worry bout it again :thumbs up:

Here’s to hoping we find out tomorrow

People who have taken the test already, how heavily is emergency medicine tested on the exam? Haven’t done em rotation yet

Last edited:
For the upcoming score release, the NBOME site states that the release window is Aug 27-28. Any thoughts regarding whether it’ll happen today vs tomorrow?

For the upcoming score release, the NBOME site states that the release window is Aug 27-28. Any thoughts regarding whether it’ll happen today vs tomorrow?

Last batch was a longer cycle for standardization. I’m optimistic we will get them today. At least the front half of the dates will likely get them today and the later half maybe tomorrow, similar to the last batch release.. but it’s the nbome, so who knows :shrugs:

People who have taken the test already, how heavily is emergency medicine tested on the exam? Haven’t done em rotation yet

I didn’t do EM before level 2 either.... honestly not that many questions on it and for some reason it was one of my highest scoring sections LOL. If your test is anything like mine, I wouldn’t sweat it.

Man I wish they wouldn’t torture us unnecessarily! I get my Step 2 scores tomorrow as well and this loooong wait has been killer.

Me too! Also annoying they’re like the 27th or 28th. Like come onnn. Pick one! Haha

Fingers crossed for 6. Don’t wanna play the trouble sleeping and stomach churning game anymore.

Fingers crossed for 6. Don’t wanna play the trouble sleeping and stomach churning game anymore.
Its called NBOME syndrome -- not to be confused with the NBOME Disease which includes other symptoms such as vague ambiguity, lack of preparedness and/or structure, and never ending need to make oneself relevant that is congruent with their sense of self importance. Usually NBOME Disease in one person will cause NBOME Syndrome in other close contacts.