Official 2017-2018 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from HSS and BIDM

Members don't see this ad.

No invitations, rejections, or acknowledgements all week...is there any time left for interview invitations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an interview invite from U of Missouri-Columbia? They asked me a question two weeks ago but haven't heard anything since...

There are a lot of programs which are not in the list we prepared.
Is it that they are still reviewing or they called people who are not active here.

There are a lot of programs which are not in the list we prepared.
Is it that they are still reviewing or they called people who are not active here.
I'm guessing there's just some programs that haven't offered us interviews but have for others. Looking back at last year's thread, it looks like interviews stopped coming through after the first week of sept.

cedars sinai already already offered interviews. Didn't see it on the list.

AMG:
7/18 Johns Hopkins, Emory, Mayo
7/19 University of Vermont, University of Arizona
7/20 UT Southwestern, U of Michigan, U of Iowa, University of Washington
7/24 Rush
7/25 Indiana University, University of Vermont
7/26 OHSU, U of KY, Cleveland Clinic
7/27 Penn State, Nebraska, MCW
7/28 Tufts, Loyola, Ohio State
7/31 Dartmouth, Temple, UC San Diego, Montifiore
8/1 Northwell (Long Island)
8/2: Wisconsin, Allegheny Health Network, Minnesota, Virginia
8/3: Mt Sinai, Cleveland Clinic
8/4: Ochsner Clinic, BID, Columbia, Miami Memorial Hospital
8/7: Colorado
8/8: Yale, Stony Brook, Penn
8/9: VCU, Arkansas
8/10 Brown University, U of Rochester, SUNY Syracuse
8/14: Lehigh Valley, UNC, U of Chicago
8/15: Geisinger, Scripps Clinic
8/16: Georgetown, NYU
8/17: University of Kansas, MUSC
8/18: UF Gainesville, UPMC
8/21: Case Western
8/22: Boston U
8/23: Wake Forest
8/24: Duke

IMG not requiring visa:
7/18 Mayo Clinic
7/27 MCW, Baylor, Loma Linda U
8/1: NSLIJ, Nebraska
8/8: Stony Brook
8/11: NYMC
8/14: UAB
8/15: Stony Brook
8/17: Detroit Medical Ctr
8/18: UT San Antonio
8/22: Cooper Medical
8/23: Yale
8/24: Mt Sinai
8/28: University of South Florida

IMG requiring visa:
8/18: AGH, University of Oklahoma
8/22: Univ of Cincinnati

AMG:
7/24 Rush

IMG not requiring visa:
7/18 Mayo Clinic
8/23: Yale, UNC

IMG requiring visa:

I think that is it for me. I applied to 19 programs, and I only got 7 interviews. I am kinda of dissapointed since I was expecting at least 10, but I am def now going to go to all 7 interviews offered.

I think that is it for me. I applied to 19 programs, and I only got 7 interviews. I am kinda of dissapointed since I was expecting at least 10, but I am def now going to go to all 7 interviews offered.
I applied to 71 and only got 1 interview. I'm not really disappointed but I plan to attend all one of mine hehehe:)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard from Vanderbilt? New to forum. I've heard from 8 programs on the list already. Nothing new to add but haven't heard from several that aren't mentioned in the list

Anyone heard from Vanderbilt? New to forum. I've heard from 8 programs on the list already. Nothing new to add but haven't heard from several that aren't mentioned in the list

I applied to Vandy as well and haven't heard anything yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like all programs sent all their interviews out. we can only wait for interviews cancelled by others.

I totally have 4. Hope will get another 2-3.

I was offered another one today, but I rejected it. I didn't have a day off and it was frankly in an area that I did not want to be. Hopefully not a mistake. Total of 8 offered, going to 7.

AMG:
7/24 Rush
8/31: University of Missouri-Columbia

IMG not requiring visa:
7/18 Mayo Clinic

IMG requiring visa:

I was offered another one today, but I rejected it. I didn't have a day off and it was frankly in an area that I did not want to be. Hopefully not a mistake. Total of 8 offered, going to 7.

Can I ask - which placed offered the interview?

Hi, I am IMG with green card. Got 11 interviews. Now, I am cancelling 6 interviews. Will go only for 5 interviews. I heard from one of my rheumatology faculty members telling that this year there are significantly less applicants than last year. May be last year rheumatology was competitive and people give up if they are not very dedicated in this field. Good thing for us. Stay very positive for matching this year.

Hi, I am IMG with green card. Got 11 interviews. Now, I am cancelling 6 interviews. Will go only for 5 interviews. I heard from one of my rheumatology faculty members telling that this year there are significantly less applicants than last year. May be last year rheumatology was competitive and people give up if they are not very dedicated in this field. Good thing for us. Stay very positive for matching this year.

Are you from university program? I am just curious about how the words from your rheumatology faculty are related with reality. I got several rejection letters all claimed that they received the largest number of applicants this year. I thought it is more competitive based on theirs letters.

Are you from university program? I am just curious about how the words from your rheumatology faculty are related with reality. I got several rejection letters all claimed that they received the largest number of applicants this year. I thought it is more competitive based on theirs letters.
Same here ,I thought this year it's more competitive than last year ,many good candidates haven't got many interviews especially img needing visa s .

I assume the total number of applications will only increase this year, as has been the trend now for the past 4 years:

According to NRMP Data:
2017: 332 applicants / 217 positions
2016: 304 applicants / 215 positions
2015: 245 applicants / 209 positions
2014: 230 applicants / 206 positions

I assume the total number of applications will only increase this year, as has been the trend now for the past 4 years:

According to NRMP Data:
2017: 332 applicants / 217 positions
2016: 304 applicants / 215 positions
2015: 245 applicants / 209 positions
2014: 230 applicants / 206 positions
strong work.. the trend is definitely towards more competition and IMGs who need visa are worst affected

IMG no need for visa, 22 IVs so far. Thinking to cancel 16 interviews next week because of location preference and family commitment.
I do not think u don't need to go more than 6 interviews. I found this NRMP data from another tread. They said 5 or 6 interviews should be enough. I am cancelling interviews for other people. Hope this helps.

chart sdn.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IMG no need for visa, 22 IVs so far. Thinking to cancel 16 interviews next week because of location preference and family commitment.
I do not think u don't need to go more than 6 interviews. I found this NRMP data from another tread. They said 5 or 6 interviews should be enough. I am cancelling interviews for other people. Hope this helps.

View attachment 223223
Can you share your credentials please and how many did tou apply to?

mistake...you are still an IMG so the idea that anything is "less" competitive is not advice for you...what are you gonna do if you don't match and had the opportunity to put 6 other places on your rank list...

as an IMG, you have no room to be cocky and overconfident (and given your English skills in this post...best to go on all 11...).

mistake...you are still an IMG so the idea that anything is "less" competitive is not advice for you...what are you gonna do if you don't match and had the opportunity to put 6 other places on your rank list...

as an IMG, you have no room to be cocky and overconfident (and given your English skills in this post...best to go on all 11...).
Maybe not? If he got 22 interviews as an img, he must be a really good candidate?

As an AMG last year, I only got 9 interviews.

Maybe not? If he got 22 interviews as an img, he must be a really good candidate?

As an AMG last year, I only got 9 interviews.
uh, not the same guy...and you are an AMG...as an AMG you can have even a middle of the road profile and still get a spot (and even he used a double negative in a sentence...but that's probably related to typing too fast).

View attachment 223223
you need around 6 on the ROL...that is not necessarily the number of interviews you want to go on...if you only interview at 6 then you have to rank all 6 of them...go to more and you have the luxury of not ranking places you didn't like.

Location and family commitments are appropriate reasons for not going to an interview...nice that you want to be helpful to others , but if God forbid you don't match somewhere, you are going to regret that you had the chance to have more choices and opted out of them...

He/ she probably has a better grasp on how competitive he is. You can prematch at a top program as an IMG, so I would not be scared into going to too many interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMG:
7/24 Rush
8/1 Northwell (Long Island), UCLA
8/5: MGH
8/22: Boston U, BWH
8/23: Wake Forest, UCSF

IMG not requiring visa:
7/18 Mayo Clinic

IMG requiring visa:

Has anyone heard from Stanford?

AMG:
7/24 Rush
8/1 Northwell (Long Island), UCLA
8/5: MGH
8/22: Boston U, BWH
8/23: Wake Forest, UCSF

IMG not requiring visa:
7/18 Mayo Clinic

IMG requiring visa:

Has anyone heard from Stanford?
Wow superstar! Can you share your credentials?

Thanks Rheum4life! I'm an allopathic med school grad and now at a large academic residency. Steps 1,2,&3 >260. 10 publications (none in rheumatology), 4 presentations. Applied to 6 programs. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks Rheum4life! I'm an allopathic med school grad and now at a large academic residency. Steps 1,2,&3 >260. 10 publications (none in rheumatology), 4 presentations. Applied to 6 programs. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats. You must be located on the West Coast? Did not apply to HSS or Hopkins?

Superstar, I think you got all interviews from 6 programs.

Congratulations

you know that those are ALL the invites listed here...not his/her interview invites, right?
Yup exactly like askinq1 said. He got the programs in bold which are all great programs so he/she must be an impressive applicant :)

Did u match with 9?
Yup! I ended up matching at my #3. I went to all 9 but only ranked 8. Must admit that I was terrified day before Match... wondering if not ranking the last place was a mistake. To put it all into perspective, only 33% of the prospective-rheum residents in my program matched.

Edit to add: I only applied to 20 places though. Good luck guys!

Yup! I ended up matching at my #3. I went to all 9 but only ranked 8. Must admit that I was terrified day before Match... wondering if not ranking the last place was a mistake. To put it all into perspective, only 33% of the prospective-rheum residents in my program matched.

Edit to add: I only applied to 20 places though. Good luck guys!
the other 2/3 that did not match...you know how many places they went to interview?

the other 2/3 that did not match...you know how many places they went to interview?
2 of them interviewed at 11-12 places ( one AMG and the other is a IMG without need for visa). Another one only applied to like 5 places as img needing visa.

As a fellow at a program that asks our opinions on candidates, the whole package matter. Interview matters and I think that's where my co-residents ran into trouble.