COMLEX Official 2015 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghorn11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets hear about study plans, best resources, and experiences for level 2.

Members don't see this ad.

I know question banks are key, but what book is best...I am using Step Up to Step 2 and I hope that is sufficient with Savarese for COMLEX Level 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know question banks are key, but what book is best...I am using Step Up to Step 2 and I hope that is sufficient with Savarese for COMLEX Level 2?
So I was a BIG believe in book first, then questions, then book again. But speaking from experience, the books are really just not that useful. Unless your base knowledge is really really bad. Even then it's more efficient to just do uworld more (the questions you got wrong maybe).
I read a book, I read Step up to step 2, and it was a huge waste of time. It's not worth the time, and the info it provides is far, far too shallow. Uworld man. Uworld.

I was looking at the score release date and I see that the number of tests given in each score release time varies significantly.. Would it be smart to register to take the test in the time period where most number of tests are given? Looking from stats, I think you will have a better chance of grades curved with most people taking the tests. Please let me know. Thanks.

That is reaching so far into the unknown you're better off trying to guess the exact questions that will be on the exam. Just prepare as well as you could and take it when it is most convenient / when you're sick and over it. D

USMLE Step 1 - 209
USMLE Step 2 - 230

COMLEX Step 1 -475
COMLEX Step 2- 590

I guess I have learned to take the Boards over the past year.

Reactions: 6 users
STEP 1: 240
STEP 2: 246

COMLEX Level 1: 671
COMLEX Level 2: 729

Took a vacation month, studied for two weeks using Uworld only.
Used COMBANK throughout the year for COMATs since it was free.
I also did a EM month during third year which helped a lot for COMLEX.

Anyone take the exam on July 24th and want to share his/her thoughts? I thought it was a horrendous representation of the test taker's medical knowledge... I can't believe I studied for 3 months for that exam... I'm so anxious to get the score, because I really walked out feeling like I failed :/

So is the average set to be higher than 500 on this exam? Seems like most people are scoring significantly higher than their Level 1 score and I have been hearing that they adjusted the curve to increase the average. Just wondering if anybody knows what the new 50th percentile score is set to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. "The mean of the 3-digit standard score for computer-based cognitive examinations has historically been in the 500-550 range. In recent administrations, the mean score for first time candidates is approximately 540 and the standard deviation is approximately 100. Most candidates receive a score between 350 and 750. The standard error of measurement (SEM) for the standard score is in the range of 30 and 40 points."

Copy and pasted from my score report.

My goodness this is a quiet thread! Anyone think there's a chance that the scores to be released August 26th-28th could be released this week?

Anyone take the exam on July 24th and want to share his/her thoughts? I thought it was a horrendous representation of the test taker's medical knowledge... I can't believe I studied for 3 months for that exam... I'm so anxious to get the score, because I really walked out feeling like I failed :/

I took it July 20th and thought it was awful. I did all of combank, comquest and uworld and still felt like half the questions were on things I'd never seen before. The other half were reasonable, but with so many WTF questions it's hard to feel confident and I'm nervous to get my score back. The question stems were also much longer than on the COMSAEs and I found myself running out of time on most sections. The OMM questions were easy.

With a higher mean and higher standard deviation, the pass rate probably won't change that much from previous years, right?

I took it July 20th and thought it was awful. I did all of combank, comquest and uworld and still felt like half the questions were on things I'd never seen before. The other half were reasonable, but with so many WTF questions it's hard to feel confident and I'm nervous to get my score back. The question stems were also much longer than on the COMSAEs and I found myself running out of time on most sections. The OMM questions were easy.

With a higher mean and higher standard deviation, the pass rate probably won't change that much from previous years, right?

I felt the exact same way about my exam on the 24th... except for me the OMM was next to impossible - probably the hardest part of the exam! The questions were nothing like anything that my school or any of my studies had prepared me for.... which is annoying cause I usually have no problem with OMM...

I imagine that the pass rate probably won't change much... but with a higher mean of 540 now, does that suggest that the scores will be on the higher side? Or does that mean it will be harder to achieve a higher score? I don't quite understand how the 40 point boost in the mean will affect individual scores

I felt the exact same way about my exam on the 24th... except for me the OMM was next to impossible - probably the hardest part of the exam! The questions were nothing like anything that my school or any of my studies had prepared me for.... which is annoying cause I usually have no problem with OMM...

I talked to a classmate who took it the same week and had a similar reaction. I think I lucked out on my OMM content, or at least the OMM questions were doable compared to the questions about conditions I'd never heard of or with answer choices comprised of terms I'd literally never seen before. It was very a surreal experience after doing well on the COMATs all year, plus the COMSAEs and thousands of practice questions. I'm hoping some of those were experimental questions or that the tests are scaled by difficulty of the questions/test like they did with the MCAT.

I talked to a classmate who took it the same week and had a similar reaction. I think I lucked out on my OMM content, or at least the OMM questions were doable compared to the questions about conditions I'd never heard of or with answer choices comprised of terms I'd literally never seen before. It was very a surreal experience after doing well on the COMATs all year, plus the COMSAEs and thousands of practice questions. I'm hoping some of those were experimental questions or that the tests are scaled by difficulty of the questions/test like they did with the MCAT.

Lucky! I was counting on the OMM for some easy points, not to throw me for a loop haha... I agree completely though.. after doing above the average on combank and comquest, I was hoping to come out of the exam at least confident that I passed... but unfortunately I'm not even that confident! Same with me, I was happy with my performance on the COMATs all year and did really well on the school-administered Form D COMSAE, so I don't understand what happened with the real exam :/

COMLEX Level 1 637
COMLEX Level 2 711

Studied for USMLE Step 2... 248 via UWOLRD (1x during third year and 1.5x during my study month). Glanced through savarese and did combank for a week.

another boards thread with great scores. congrats everyone. don't forget to be proud of your accomplishments along the way; its not all about the endgame.

(that was me trying to be positive 6 hrs into a 5th consecutive 15hr overnight on L&D)

So any advice for people taking it in September from people that already took it/got their scores? What would you recommend and what helped/didn't help? Is it usually just random, I know some people said OBGYN/PEDS is very heavy usually along with Medicine clerkship stuff.

OBGYN and Peds from MTB3 focus on management. Also I had a lot of foot OMT. Very strange as per usual

Took this beast on 08/12. Worst test I had ever taken and I'm the type that doesn't usually say that. Did MTB 2, Online Med Ed for certain subjects, combank, and most importantly UWorld. Didn't take any comsaes (huge waste of time, not accurate).

Step 1 - 232
COMLEX 1 - 568

Step 2 - still haven't gotten score
COMLEX 2 - 608

I'll take it. Everybody I talked to also felt like crap, but since it's standardized your score will probably be better than you think.

Heres more results:
Comsae=Avg 450 high 515 took three of them
Combank 1200 questions 63% towards the end of prep hitting more in the 70s% on 50q sets
level 1= 485

Comat Avg =98 high=105 psych, low=89 OBGYN school required we take all of them
Comsae Avg= 515 high of 550 took two, school paid for one. I bought form C got the 550 on it one week before exam, thought it was somewhat close in content.
1800 questions in Combank avg 71% . towards the end of prep last 600 questions are closer to 76% Avg
level 2=620

Reactions: 2 users
Level 1 - COMSAE B 474, COMSAE D 411, COMSAE C 511
Comlex level 1 - 536

Level 2- COMSAE D 620
Comlex level 2- 639

Couldn't be happier :)

Wow this thread has been too quite! Anybody here got their score back from 8/12 exam got a big drop from level 1? I dropped 100. Many of my classmates dropped about 75-100. This is absurd... I felt so much better walking out of this exam than level 1. Any chance of regrade like they did last year?

@lopeyay sorry to hear that. The people from my school who I talked to about this test went up as well, but then again none of us killed it on step 1 so it was easier to go up than it was to go down. What was your level 1 score, recent comsae scores, how did you prep, etc?

Level 1: 523
Level 2: 420

Level 2 prep: comquest x1(76% correct) , combank x2 ( 73% correct), half of uworld (67% correct), read MTB 2 and 3 once through, savarese x1.

Doing the $50 score confirmation, let's see how that goes :shrug:

For reference I used combank and got through most of it scoring 74% but I used it year round since my school bought it for me and my running avg during my month of prep was closer to 85%. I scored 72% on UWorld but again I was scoring in the 80's during the last 200 or 300 questions. Went through MTB 2 3x and read through savarese.

I've never heard of anyone submit that and actually get their score changed unfortunately, but I'm pulling for you! Good luck

Top 20% of my class.
Level 1 551
Level 2 632 (took 8/3)

Took COMSAE D about 1.5 weeks out and got a 630. Did uworld (60%), Comquest (73%), and watched a few DIT videos. Going for osteo EM-hope these scores are good enough.

Top 20% of my class.
Level 1 551
Level 2 632 (took 8/3)

Took COMSAE D about 1.5 weeks out and got a 630. Did uworld (60%), Comquest (73%), and watched a few DIT videos. Going for osteo EM-hope these scores are good enough.

With these scores, you must have gotten a ton of interview invites already! Congrats!

Just took the COMLEX level 2 this week, a couple days after my USMLE step2
Used two days to go through OMM while watching some Kaplan videos in between OMM sessions

The test was less stressful than the USMLE; question stems were shorter. Some questions were very very straight forward, and their distractors were not even close to the correct answer.

I had an audio question where you had to listen to heart/lung sound but there was no audio when i clicked on the media so I just guessed and moved on. Wasted like 4 minutes on this question. My headphone was working during the tutorial and other media questions so I did not bother with calling for assistance. Otherwise I thought it was a fair test, very straight forward. Nothing tricky.

My prep materials consisted of: UWORLD x1, MTB x1, OnlineMed x1, and some kaplan videos (did not finish this). Prep was 1 month long. Preparing for the USMLE definitely prepares you well for the COMLEX.

Does anyone know if the scoring changed on COMLEX 2, and how?
Supposedly this year, they are re-standardizing the test and a lot of people's scores will drop as a result. The goal is to bring that average back down to 500. Although it seems all the SDN gunners did not have that issue.

Why do you say this?

You tend to suspect something is fishy when a number of people are reporting scores that are >100 points less than their comsae averages or their step1 scores. Similar thing happened last year, but was caught on time and corrected by NBOME.

Scores are up.

Level 1: 460
Level 2: 482

I have no idea how my score went up. I felt way worse about it walking out, and have been stressed just hoping I passed the last 2 weeks. I know it's not as good as all you SDN gunners, but I am so relieved to be done with this.

I used COMBANK/UWORLD to study. Averaged 55-60% on Uworld, around 65-70% on COMBANK. I used MTB a little here and there, but for the most part it was doing questions and reading explanations. I got most of the way through UWORLD and through COMBANK once. I honestly think that just those two resources are enough to get you through this. But I would urge any one reading to read through savarese once though. I didn't, because I thought the OMM for level 1 was a little easy, and my school has a required OMM rotation that I got a lot of experience with. But I found the OMM much harder on my test day than I anticipated. Congrats to everyone who passed, and good luck to everyone who has yet to take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Level 1: 587
Level 2: 619
Used Combank all thru 3rd yr for COMATs. UWORLD, COMBANK and Savarese is all I did.