OCPM interview. Any advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dns3110

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with OCPM on Dec 16th. Can anyone give me some advice or insight on how the interview will be? Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

dns3110 said:
I have an interview with OCPM on Dec 16th. Can anyone give me some advice or insight on how the interview will be? Thanks :D

If you are confident in yourself the interview will be easy. When I interviewed there I was asked a few questions about myself, my shadowing experiences, and even one about my favorite book. They just want to get to know you-and they told me that I wouldn't have been invited for an interview if they didn't plan on granting acceptance (so just keep that in mind :) )

Advice?

Look around, there are 7 other schools. Visit them too.

If you are going to go to interview at OCPM, visit the other 7.

My other advice is to consider schools where their students learn with the MDs/DOs

Look for schools with consistent standards in

1. Grading Ask every school about how grades are administered, I mean you wouldn't want any school that makes stuff up as they go...
2. Board pass rate.
3. Student to instructor ratio
4. Access to tutors for students who really need them instead of just "wanting an A."
5. Drop out rate (voluntarily)
6 Any Fail outs after a couple of years and $$$$$
7. What type of instructional method does their college use. I mean if you want to pay $$$ for
8. Are the students glad they attend?
9 facilities
10. neighborhood
11. weather
12. And my favorite Q for any school....ask them about old tests their policy and if OK, how and if they impact anything pertaining to grades and if so where do you get them from!!!!!!! Really....

Most likely, you will be paying on your decision for a long time, make it enjoyable time....

more importantly, please, be informed.... these are private schools and have their own rules.
If you get bad vibes, find a school that suits you.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
whiskers said:
And my favorite Q for any school....ask them about old tests their policy and if OK, how and if they impact anything pertaining to grades and if so where do you get them from!!!!!!! Really....

Is there any thread at all that you can't possibly beat this dead horse in?

scpod said:
Is there any thread at all that you can't possibly beat this dead horse in?

The topic is getting quite old, but he did bring up some relevant questions that should be asked while visiting different schools (other than the test one, unless you really feel the need to)

So what is a good list of questions to ask while interviewing and/or visiting the different schools?

Have you recently attended all 8 pod schools? no? Catch the net weirdo - nobody likes your advice..its plain odd and annoying.

...ask them about old tests their policy and if OK, how and if they impact anything pertaining to grades and if so where do you get them from!!!!!!! Really....

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

-Just to clarify, that was meant for "Whiskers"

runnersfeet said:
Have you recently attended all 8 pod schools? no? Catch the net weirdo - nobody likes your advice..its plain odd and annoying.

...ask them about old tests their policy and if OK, how and if they impact anything pertaining to grades and if so where do you get them from!!!!!!! Really....

Good luck.
[/QUOTE]

"Have you recently attended all 8 pod schools? no? Catch the net weirdo - nobody likes your advice..its plain odd and annoying."

It may be annoying and irritating to those who are are already "in" and like a good challenge..... Hehe...

Instead, my advice is better suited for the gaggle pod wannabes who are trying to make a very difficult decision that will impact their entire future.

It may be difficult to face this single reality; those pod wannabes will be paying big money for an education and maybe, just maybe, they should have very high expectations not only for themselves but also for their selected educational institution and the profession in general?????

It is my hope that they will consider how serious they are about their own academics and select a school that will give them the appropriate personal challenge so that they will do welll both on the boards and ultimately be the most competent PROFESSIONAL that they can be.

There could be nothing more professionally rewarding in my opinion than knowing that you are resepected not because you are a doctor, but because you really know your $#%^ from every angle, inside and out.... And that doesn't and shouldn't come free.

Plus it doesn't hurt when the rest of the profession is viewed in the same way.

One final thought....

Face it, patients are more informed than ever and a great many can spot a hack.

What could be worse than to have a diabetic patient who researched his or her disease, learned a little biochem, histology, microbiology etc and was astounded by what the "doc" just didn't know???

Being a net weirdo?

lol.

I want to say thank you to all of those who have replied to my question. And to whiskers, are you saying I am a wannabe pod because I didn't visit all of the schools? If you are, that is just rude. You do not know anything about me. If you do not have any good advice, do not bother giving any!

"are you saying I am a wannabe pod because I didn't visit all of the schools?"

That makes sense doesn't it? You are applying to podiatry school but you don't want to be a podiatrist?

I guess I'm rude.

Sorry your feelings were hurt.

But no, I wasn't insulting you.

how many interviewers at ocpm and how long is it?

shawmahmed said:
how many interviewers at ocpm and how long is it?

I interviewed only with Dean Lott. There were about 8 of us interviewing on the same day and everyone had a 1 on 1 interview with Dean Lott. The interview didn't seem to last that long; she had a list of questions she went though. It was really laid back-I didn't feel like I was under any pressure at all.

Good luck with your interview! Relax and be yourself, get your friends to prepare some questions for you so that it'll get you thinking though.