OB/GYN Pros and Cons, what should we know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Death

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into OBGYN as a specialty and was wondering if people in the field currently could give med students their opinions on the current and future prospects of the field. Keep in mind things like:

Job market
Salary
Midlevel encroachment
Difficulty and length of residency
autonomy
anything else you can comment on

@22031 Alum ? @gyngyn ? @obgyny ?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah please me too i am interested especially about malpracticce is that true it cost doctors have of their salary ? also can an obgyn make 400 000 dollars in a private practice?
also what do you think the future of obgyn is there a new innovation?(like we see as in interventional git...)

yeah please me too i am interested especially about malpracticce is that true it cost doctors have of their salary ? also can an obgyn make 400 000 dollars in a private practice?
also what do you think the future of obgyn is there a new innovation?(like we see as in interventional git...)
My father-in-law just retired after 35 years of PP OB/GYN. His last year he was paying around 40k for malpractice - but he's never been sued and we're in a pretty doctor-friendly state.

The last 10-ish years he was grossing 500k/year for his pay, before that I'm not sure how well he did.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Job market- there will always be a job for you somewhere. Like most specialties, you may have to sacrifice one thing for another- ie take a lower salary to work in a saturated, desirable city.

Salary- What do you want to do and where do you want to be? As a proceduralist you're not going to starve, no matter what. But my friends who had to build up their patient base worked harder for less or the same than I did joining an academic practice. Eventually, they passed me - the ones in saturated areas took longer than the ones who went to places that desperately needed docs. I've seen starting offers for graduating residents range from $160s to $300s depending on a variety of factors. That can go up as you become established in practice.

Mid-level encroachment- A non-issue. Yes, there are CNMs and WHNPs and PAs, but I've never come across any of them clamoring to increase their scope of practice beyond clinic or (for CNMs) the uncomplicated delivery room. I have plenty of colleagues who work with mid-levels to increase their own practice's productivity.

Malpractice- Having only worked for a state university and the federal government, I'm not the best person to ask. But $40K a year sounds right from what I've heard- also in a doctor-friendly state.

Residency- Four long, hard years. Because of all the different subspecialty and procedure exposure you have to get, there's never really a point where you've "gotten" everything and can coast. Additionally, if you have your eyes on a specific subspecialty, it might be very tough to grind out the four years of general OB/GYN. I've seen future MFMs who were miserable for every single GYN rotation, and future oncologists who wanted to die every time they had to cover the labor floor. Not a great way to spend four years, but it is self-limited and got them to their goals so I guess it was worth it for them. Some are advocating for differentiation via residency tracks, since it is tough to squeeze in the entire breadth of the field to a meaningful level of experience in four years. While this may well happen, it won't be quickly- it would mean a retooling of not just residency but board certification.

Reactions: 5 users
Job market- there will always be a job for you somewhere. Like most specialties, you may have to sacrifice one thing for another- ie take a lower salary to work in a saturated, desirable city.

Salary- What do you want to do and where do you want to be? As a proceduralist you're not going to starve, no matter what. But my friends who had to build up their patient base worked harder for less or the same than I did joining an academic practice. Eventually, they passed me - the ones in saturated areas took longer than the ones who went to places that desperately needed docs. I've seen starting offers for graduating residents range from $160s to $300s depending on a variety of factors. That can go up as you become established in practice.

Mid-level encroachment- A non-issue. Yes, there are CNMs and WHNPs and PAs, but I've never come across any of them clamoring to increase their scope of practice beyond clinic or (for CNMs) the uncomplicated delivery room. I have plenty of colleagues who work with mid-levels to increase their own practice's productivity.

Malpractice- Having only worked for a state university and the federal government, I'm not the best person to ask. But $40K a year sounds right from what I've heard- also in a doctor-friendly state.

Residency- Four long, hard years. Because of all the different subspecialty and procedure exposure you have to get, there's never really a point where you've "gotten" everything and can coast. Additionally, if you have your eyes on a specific subspecialty, it might be very tough to grind out the four years of general OB/GYN. I've seen future MFMs who were miserable for every single GYN rotation, and future oncologists who wanted to die every time they had to cover the labor floor. Not a great way to spend four years, but it is self-limited and got them to their goals so I guess it was worth it for them. Some are advocating for differentiation via residency tracks, since it is tough to squeeze in the entire breadth of the field to a meaningful level of experience in four years. While this may well happen, it won't be quickly- it would mean a retooling of not just residency but board certification.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give your input. It is really appreciated.