OB/GYN Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZDOC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student interested in OB/GYN. Do any of you know which programs in OB/GYN are strong? I am trying to come up with a list. It really doesn't matter where the program is located. Thanks for the insight.

Members don't see this ad.

A programs strength is judged by a number of criteria:
[1] Program reputation big university names like Hopkins, LSU, Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic, Miami, Stanford, Emory

[2] Gyn surgery #'s. All the prestige in #1 will not do you any good unless you can graduate with a good % of gyn procedures i.e. laproscopic Sx, TAH, TVH. If a program has graduates that get 60-80 TVH's by graduation that is a significant #

[3] Birth procedures: do you get to resusitate infants, do a NICU rotation?, Do they have experience in twin vaginal births, what about forcep use or birthing by mothers with genital castration. Any program that is accredited will give the OB #'s you need but it is the specialty areas that you should concern yourself with.

[4] When do you start to operate? Some programs only let you perform TVH or TAH in your second year, this may hamper your SX experience, which after all is the most crucial.

[5] What is the call schedule. A Q3 schedule with only 2-3 residents for 4 years can take a toll, regardless if the 80hr work week is met.

[6] How friendly are the residents. This will become part of your extended family. Trust me you want to get along and like them!

[7] Research do they participate in research? Are students required to present at conferences is there a month where you can elect to do a project.

[8] Do graduates get into specialty fields if yes then this is truely a competitive program.. Take for example the program I matched to Akron General in OH they might not fit criteria [1] but they fit criteria [2-8] they matched a resident to Yale in Gyn/Onc a super competitive subspecialty. They have several research opportunities, encourage elective time, and have specialty deliveries.

My suggestion is to find out what is most important to you do you want to subspecialize if yes then go somewhere you can publish 3-5 articles, go to conferences, and do away electives.

There is more to it than than "a list of top programs".

Good luck I hope this helps
Diane
+pissed+