OAT Breakdown 2021 AA 340/TS 350

cloudpaint

Reaction score
Hi! I took the OAT back in October 2021, which was admittedly a while ago, but I did write down my initial thoughts right after the exam. I waited to make this post after completing my applications and hearing back from the schools. Fortunately, I was accepted at the 3 schools I applied to and wanted to share my experiences with those studying for the OAT. For reference, my GPA was 3.89, AA: 340 TS: 350.

My prep time was around 4 months. I rescheduled my exam a month after the initial date since I felt unprepared. It was the right decision since I had spent the first 3 months reviewing/compiling notes more than practicing problems. It was also helpful to study 2-3 subjects per day instead of focusing on just 1. It was easy to get bogged down with a particular subject by trying to understand specific topics, but I allocated about 2 hours per subject and tried to stick to that schedule. I spent around 5-8 hours per day studying, 5-6 days a week. I started by compiling notes for all the subjects and did a few practice problems for each. At the same time, I used OATbooster and the Kaplan book to practice each subject's individual topics. The longest time was spent compiling notes, and I wished I was more efficient with that process. Overall, it did pay off, though, because I went back to revise and consult the notes anytime I did not understand a practice problem, which was very useful to the learning process.

Resources used & my ratings (out of 5):
OATbooster (5/5): The most comprehensive and centralized resource that made studying and practicing very convenient. The interactive features/detailed answer explanations made the review process easier. The difficulty level on the practice questions/exams was similar to the actual exam.
Kaplan 2019-2020 Book (3/5): A good source for reviewing/compiling notes. The flashcards were also handy to practice on the go. Reading it was a bit of a drag, though, so I did prefer to do a more interactive course such as OATBooster.

Youtube videos - Organic Chemistry Tutor and Chad’s Physics (4/5): Useful to review specific topics and a good way to see the real-time process behind solving problems.

MCAT Basics podcast (3/5): Useful for specific topics and a good way to review on the go when I’m unable to dedicate my full attention to studying.

OAT physics destroyer (1/5): A large variety of problems, perhaps a little too detailed. I didn’t spend much time on it, but I imagine it would be a good resource if you had a lot of time to study.

Biology (380): Wide variety of topics, but straightforward. As a bio major, I didn’t find this section too challenging, but the taxonomy category can be extensive, so I would review that further if I had more time.

Gen Chem (300): Not my best section because I had underestimated it and relied too heavily on my success with it during my undergrad courses. Knowing the formulas is critical since I could identify the topics but could not recall equations to solve some problems.

Organic Chem (350): Straightforward questions, memorizing various reactions was beneficial. I practiced studying components of the reactions almost every day to make sure not too much time passed between recalling each reaction.

Physics (340): This was my least favorite section to study since it was my worst subject in undergrad. I probably dedicated the most time studying for it, and ultimately it was doable. Pretty straightforward questions and doing the practice problems from OATBooster and watching Chad’s videos prepared me well.

QR (300): Algebra and general word problems aren’t my strong suit, and reviewing topics I haven’t thought about since high school was a bit difficult. I ran out of time towards the end and had to guess on some questions. I would’ve liked to practice solving problems faster and develop a better pace for this section.

Reading comprehension (390): I didn’t spend significant time studying for RC. Personally, it was helpful to read the questions first then answer the questions. The texts weren’t too dense, and utilizing some practice modules on OATBooster was enough to practice.

Final thoughts
It will pay off if you dedicate time to practicing and understanding concepts from missed questions! I think the average studying time is around 3 months so give yourself plenty of time to prepare. Also, be aware of rescheduling fees to avoid and plan ahead for any extensions. I also reviewed the route to get to the testing center and parking information beforehand so I could limit stress during the day of the test. Remember to take breaks and allow yourself to enjoy hobbies to sustain your studying! Best of luck, and please feel free to message me if you have questions :).

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• oatscore.png
    oatscore.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I'm glad all your hard work paid off :)

Reactions: 1 user