NYU Med, Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, just wanted to show my face (figuratively) in this thread, and let you know I will be joining you all at the second look day. Sounds like a good time. Also, if you haven't joined the facebook group yet, you should should join.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=45845732550

See you in April!

Members don't see this ad.

how do you know its official anotherface? did you get something in the email? i really wish nyu would send us some kind of correspondence .. lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems that URM revisit is April 23+24, which will overlap on the 24th with revisit for the entire class.
where did you hear that? i only got notice about the 24th

It seems that URM revisit is April 23+24, which will overlap on the 24th with revisit for the entire class.

Yes I only got the email about the 24th as well. They say that housing is offered only on the 23rd, but the festivities are held on the 24th...

yeah i got the revisit email too!!! yay soexcited.. for april 24th.. :)

Ah, was it a form e-mail or he personally e-mailed you?

I only got the e-mail about the 24th.
Its a personal email; it does not seem that it was sent to anyone else and revisit was not the sole subject of the email.

I'm not a URM and I was told that festivities begin on the night of the 23rd even if you aren't staying with a host. Some sort of 9 P.M. social event?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a URM and I was told that festivities begin on the night of the 23rd even if you aren't staying with a host. Some sort of 9 P.M. social event?

Wow, now I'm really confused... Are they hiding something from us? haha, this just seems weird.

NM, I never read the attached itinerary, it is all clear now.. optional date on the 23rd to get started with a dinner and social, got it!

Hi guys,

Was anyone able to log into the FinAid site with the login they sent us via snail mail. I get an error message.

Thanks! :)

hey everyone,

congrats on getting into NYU! you guys should all be really happy/proud/excited..

i just wanna say that i'm a current ms1 at nyu, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. also, i'm one of the main organizers for your revisit weekend, so let me know if you guys have any questions about that..

hey guys,
im a first year and some of my buddies are planning the revisit, so i'll just clear up this confusion for you:
nyu has revisit activities all day on the 24th, but housing is being offered for the night of the 23rd for convenience. there's something going on that night that all ur hosts will take you to.
i think the URM revisit might have additional activities and stuff on the 23rd...but unless you hear about it from that dean, revisit is just the night of the 23rd and the 24th.
get pumped!
yanks

Hi guys,

Was anyone able to log into the FinAid site with the login they sent us via snail mail. I get an error message.

Thanks! :)

you got a letter about financial aid already?

hey everyone,

congrats on getting into NYU! you guys should all be really happy/proud/excited..

i just wanna say that i'm a current ms1 at nyu, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask. also, i'm one of the main organizers for your revisit weekend, so let me know if you guys have any questions about that..

I do have a question about financial aid. Does NYU offer a lot of scholarships and grants? I want to fill out a financial aid form, but I dont know where to do it. Also, are there special scholarship applications such as minority based programs and such? Where can I get more information on this topic (i cant find anything on the website), and who should i contact at NYU in the financial department? Thanks.

you got a letter about financial aid already?

Yea. Got a big envelope with some info about loans etc.
I am sure its coming to you soon as well. I think the login they sent us might not work until Apr 6th though, when aid is posted.

Hey everyone,

I am a current 1st year, and I was searching on google for the student council website and came across this thread. I haven't been on studentdoctor since I was applying, and I remember how much of a resource it was to me back then, so I figured I'd give you all a shout. Congrats on getting in! and if you're waitlisted, try not to stress too bad because it is true that people do get in off of it.

RoJo (who if its who I'm thinking of, is one of my good friends here) covered it pretty well above, but if you guys have any other questions about student life here or revisit or anything feel free to shoot me an email...

you all have big decisions to make but what it all comes down to is this:
Do you want to have a great education?
Do you want to have the best, most exciting location a medical school in the US can offer, with the biggest city at your fingertips?
Do you want a public/private clinical experience that allows you to see the spectrum of patients?
Do you want to have a LIFE OUTSIDE OF MEDICAL SCHOOL? (shameless plug for my band, made up of 5 first years: www.myspace.com/wildlifecityband)
Do you want more subspecialty, sports, or extracurricular clubs than you would know what to do with?
Do you NOT want to be forced to do research, if you don't want to (there is graduating with honors available, but no mandatory research requirement)?

sorry to sound like an admissions officer or whatnot, but I really do love it here and I'm so glad I ended up where I am...enjoy the last few months of school and summer!

I do have a question about financial aid. Does NYU offer a lot of scholarships and grants? I want to fill out a financial aid form, but I dont know where to do it. Also, are there special scholarship applications such as minority based programs and such? Where can I get more information on this topic (i cant find anything on the website), and who should i contact at NYU in the financial department? Thanks.

Fill out the FAFSA ASAP, and if you want contact Phyllis Schultz in the financial aid office...she's great.

Fill out the FAFSA ASAP, and if you want contact Phyllis Schultz in the financial aid office...she's great.

Cool, thanks. I did email phyllis, and she said that financial offers would be available in Aprilish...

So I've been searching NYU's website (which doesnt take very long) and couldn't find much about curriculum. Does anyone know if its a block schedule or if the classes run year long?

So does anyone know if they will release the 2009 match list? I'm really curious

So on a scale of 1-10...if scheduling and timing is sorta bad but workable...how bad would it be to miss 2nd look? i mean...not everyone goes right? lol

got an email today about revisit day! I wonder how they will break us up into groups for dinner.

got an email today about revisit day! I wonder how they will break us up into groups for dinner.

maybe they'll just base it on our rankings of the restaurant list they sent.

Either way it sounds like it's going to be fun.

anyone up for posting their choices?

Last edited:
my top three:
1.Blockheads
2.Rice
3.Vezzo

anyone else?

I picked thainy, rice, and grandsichuan, but I don't know anything about any of these, so they're really just random choices. I wonder how many people will be at second look...

Hey

I picked Blockheads, Rice, and Ali Baba.

I never got an email about revisit and dinner. looks like they either decided to reverse my acceptance, or figured I'd be too expensive to feed.

I never got an email about revisit and dinner. looks like they either decided to reverse my acceptance, or figured I'd be too expensive to feed.
Likewise, I never got an email. Does everyone who got the email plan to attend the events planned for the night of Thurday, April 23?

Likewise, I never got an email. Does everyone who got the email plan to attend the events planned for the night of Thurday, April 23?

Maybe it was only sent to people who asked to stay with a student host? And I'm plan on going.

Maybe it was only sent to people who asked to stay with a student host? And I'm plan on going.
i didnt ask for a student host... lol is there something going on besides dinner?

yeah I'm not staying with a host either.

Did you guys RSVP?

i didnt ask for a student host... lol is there something going on besides dinner?

Not that I know of, but here's the email I got: (there was a list of restaurants attached)

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for sending in your RSVP for Revisit Day at NYU School of Medicine on April 24h, 2009!

I am pleased to tell you that everyone who requested housing has been approved and will be matched up with a Student Host! You will be e-mailed your host's contact information sometime during the week of April 7th. At that point, you all can start to make individual arrangements with your hosts.

At this time, we would like you all to let us know your preference for restaurants for the Thursday Night Dinner. Attached is a document that lists and describes the restaurants we will be going to.

*****Please e-mail [email protected] BY APRIL 6th with your TOP 3 restaurant choices ranked. We will try to accommodate each of you. Also, let us know if you have any specific dietary restrictions [vegetarian, kosher food, etc.] so that we can fully accommodate you during your stay with us.

Thank you all again and I look forward to meeting you.

As always, you may direct any questions to me. I will be out of the country [Spring Break!] until April 6th, so if you have an urgent question, please e-mail Dean McGrath

just to answer some questions that i saw:

you'll get a copy of this year's match list in your packet when you come to revisit.

we are going to do our best to accommodate all of your requests for restaurants for thursday night. we will obviously break you up by that system or we wouldn't have sent out a list asking you where you'd like to eat. keep in mind however that if a zillion of you put blockheads down as your first choice, we are going to have to give you your second or third choice. hopefully we'll get you guys a seat at one of the restaurants you select.

i'm not sure why you wouldn't have received an email about thursday night unless you didn't respond about coming to revisit in the first place. if you would like, either message me with your name/school, or try emailing the revisit gmail account and make sure they know you're coming.

we do have some other fun stuff planned for you guys on thursday night as well, (i would know.. i'm the one planning it), so i hope you guys are coming!

feel free to message me if you guys have any other questions about first-year or revisit. you'll definitely get a faster reply that way. and again, congrats!

i will not be staying with a student host (i live in the city) so will the other activities be before or after dinner? just so i dont miss them.. :(

yuck--just checked my financial aid online and it's pretty abysmal. (i know they said it won't be available until sometime later, but i was able to log in somehow)

I just checked mine too! I don't think it could actually be any worse??:(

is it under accept awards?

I have to agree. It's pretty frightening

do you guys have only loans?

holy ****..
i actually got a scholarship!! i wonder if its for just the first year or all four?
but the rest is loans...

Wow, what awful aid..i got all loans too

did anyone have to turn in your/your parents' tax returns? I never knew they were needed but on the NetPartner it says they are... all loans too. hahahaha