NYU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterBottle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone think they're being woefully silent? (as per usual) I really want to like NYU but I know NOTHING about the school (less than any other school). When is their second look weekend? Do they even HAVE a second look weekend? What is their curriculum like? What about their housing (I know about the dorms for first years but what about everyone else???)??? Fill us in NYU!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone think they're being woefully silent? (as per usual) I really want to like NYU but I know NOTHING about the school (less than any other school). When is their second look weekend? Do they even HAVE a second look weekend? What is their curriculum like? What about their housing (I know about the dorms for first years but what about everyone else???)??? Fill us in NYU!

1st year is in a jail-like dorm room. 2nd year and beyond is in subsidized apartments. I can't really tell you anything about their curriculum except that they are P/F

such positive reviews! I wonder if most are using NYU as a last ditch thing. For some of us...IT MAY STILL BE A FIRST CHOICE!

However, I am turned off about the living situation and the fact that I feel the school doesn't really identify with the med students. The interview day was barebone; the website is barebone; and I feel like the administration is barebone. My fav. is the student body. I spent a night there and thought everyone was REALLY awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey There,
Just wanted to say hi to anyone who will be attending school this Aug :) and send out congratulations!! :thumbup:~ Anyone in NY any time soon??

where are all the nyu people?! i'm not completely decided but i'm leaning towards nyu

NYU! I thought the school was pretty sweet, though I am admittedly leaning elsewhere at the moment. What kinds of things did you all find attractive with the school?

LOL i have no idea where everyone is.. seems like its the only school that doesn’t have a 10 page thread. :(
What can i say. i Loved NYU when i went there for my interview. student seemed relaxed and happy - something that didn’t quite come off on some other schools. the big big big plus for me was Bellevue hospital - the oldest public hospital in the US. Together with this facility the mixture of cultures and backgrounds found in ny make this one of the best places - in my mind - to learn medicine. in the end however, i have heard that its not really where you go but what you make of your experience and education. So I believe that if you have the end of the line in mind you will make a fantastic doctor wherever you go!

i received my financial aid package on monday and it is dismal. its $62,000 a year and i got a $6,000 scholarship and the rest is stafford and plus loans. i want to go to nyu but not sure if i can justify it financially when i can go to a ny state school for about $40,000...so i'm thinking maybe doing a military scholarship through the air force...anyone elses thoughts on nyu and extreme debt / air force scholarship??

also i agree with manuca i loved bellevue hospital and i want to be in nyc!!

If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering what your family contribution was. Thanks! (PM me)

will be attending this fall!!! so excited! :)

where is all the NYU love?

Members don't see this ad :)
i can't find the facebook group you created :(.

it would be great to see everyone who is matriculating!

Hey! I just found out that I'm going to NYU next year (yay!). Did anyone have any luck with couples housing?

I really like to know more about NYU's curriculum. Can anyone here pitch in ?

I know its pass/fail and more on the traditional side. Do they rank people ? (only for AOA, right?) How is my typical week going to be at NYU? classes 8-12? classes 9-4 ? Is the courses in blocks ? How about exams? every week ? once a month ?

Anyone has the most recent match list ?

To answer a few questions raaised here. The first two years are pass/fail, but grades are kept for MD/PhD students and are also kept in case you want to try to apply later for MD/PhD. I don't really know how much any of this counts towards AOA.

It's hard to define a "typical" day, especially during first year during anatomy. Basically we'd have two hours or so of lecture in the morning, then three blocks or so, one of which would be dissection, one a small lecture (20 or so students), and one block off or perhaps in another small lecture. Essentially count on 9-5, with a lunch break in the middle and one or two afternoons off per week. Second term is much the same except you have histology lab etc rather than dissection. Anatomy is done with groups of 6, but only 2 will be working at a time, the other 4 are supposed to return towards the end of each afternoon block and see what was accomplished. Many people start skipping some of the small lectures, etc so the day really isn't as long as it sounds.

Second year is less class time but more material, count on 9-11 or 12, a break for lunch, and then a seminar or conference in the afternoon for 2 hours or so.

Average lecture attendence is somewhere around 50%.

Time between exams varies depending on the topic. The schedule is set by how much time it takes to get through the material, but expect one exam about every three to four weeks.Essentially one exam per organ system or section (in anatomy there's an exam on the upper limb, then thorax, head and neck, etc and then with physio you'll do a few weeks on cardio, have an exam, then respiratory, etc).

As far as the dorms thing I stayed in the same room for the first two years and am moving to a larger room, but in the same building for next year. Rubin really isn't so bad. I like being so close to everything and the rent is certainly reasonable for the area. One downside is the construction going on next door. A commercial research park is under construction, when they were pounding in posts for the foundation it was somewhat of a distraction . . . but most of the noise has abated, at least for the time being.

I've really enjoyed my time at NYU and feel well prepared for the boards (most people here, including me are taking them on Friday). If there is anything else I can help with, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing, orientation is always fun, definitely something to look forward to.

NYU gave me a 15k/year scholarship. Is that typical of what people are getting or less or more ?

i will also be attending nyu next year. as a result, i created a facebook group titled New York University School of Medicine Class of 2012 to get to know my classmates for next year. i hope everyone already accepted will join.

i can't find the facebook group either....everytime i click on your link it jsut goes to my facebook home page.

also, i think 15k/year is more than avg i got 6k/year and i know another person who got 0.

woot I just got off the waitlist yesterday! holla at ya boi!!!!

this is the deadest class thread ever.

this is the deadest class thread ever.

Congrats jelly476 !!! That is awesome news. I agree though, this class thread is really dead. So is the facebook group. We need to be more active. I will subscribe to this thread :D

yayyyyyyyyyyy. someone finally replied. where u from inkare? i am from pennsylvania but i live in japan right now. I am actually deferring my NYU acceptance and am going to join the class of 2013.

yayyyyyyyyyyy. someone finally replied. where u from inkare? i am from pennsylvania but i live in japan right now. I am actually deferring my NYU acceptance and am going to join the class of 2013.

Haha yeah, I'm from CA but I've been living in NY for the past 2 years. Dude, it sucks that you won't be in our class, but I guess I will meet you next year, or maybe even be your "big sib" !

Wow . . . nothing in a month guys? Best of luck with move in and orientation!

Anyone still need a roommate for the upcoming year? My budget is anywhere around 400-500.00$ a month for rent. PM me or email me at [email protected] thanks.