NYIT curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nfal123

Reaction score
I'll be starting at NYIT in a few months and I was just wondering from fellow people if they knew the curriculum as well as how remediation works there?

Members don't see this ad.

Curriculum always changes but here is an idea: first year: foundations of medicine, MSK, Derm, Neuro, Heme/Onc
Second year: GU/Cardio, Resp/GI, Endo, Repro.
First year: anatomy lans usually run until end of winter. Neuro labs in spring. Omm labs all two years. Second year you can have two systems running at the same time.
Remediation: if you fail one course then you are on probation and repeat it in the summer. If you fail another course the same year you are probation , you get kicked out. If you fail two courses (even two that run concurrently) in one year, you get kicked out. Third and fourth year are rotations and this past year I heard they got rid of the policy of failing rotations so that’s good.

It’s a great program , if you have any other questions or want to see specific schedules for exams etc PM me. Keep in mind things always change, good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be starting at NYIT in a few months and I was just wondering from fellow people if they knew the curriculum as well as how remediation works there?
As a new student why are you already worried about remediation?

@calvinhobbes gave some great advice and I will follow up on that!

NYITCOM has two tracks: Lecture and DPC. My experiences are purely from lecture, which 4/5 of the students in the school do. I can't vouch for the DPC track at all.

I'm currently finishing up my first year at NYIT-OW so my experiences are purely from this year.

Essentially, first semester you have 3 labs - DPR, OMM and Anatomy, as well as your lectures. For Anatomy lab, the minimum passing course is a 65%. For OMM and lecture it is 70%. For DPR, as long as you come to every lab prepared and you do well on your standardized patient exams (you have a mock patient where you have 14 minutes to get an HPI, ROS, get a full medical history, perform a physical exam, etc... and write a SOAP note) you pass the course. There is no percentage score to pass for DPR, you simply have to meet the "satisfactory" score on your exams.

Second semester, you still have DPR, OMM and Lecture but there is no more anatomy. Instead you have 6 weeks of neuroanatomy, and at the end they will throw in some questions on it into the lecture exam. So neuroanatomy does not have its own grade. Now you have a new lab called CBL - case based learning - where you meet with a group of students as well as one faculty member, where you discuss a variety of different cases together. Again, this course, does not have a numerical grade, you simply have to get the "satisfactory" from the faculty member at the end of it.

Specifically about lecture, as far as passing , you have two options. You either have to get a passing grade of 70% OR you must get a score that is higher than the class average minus one standard deviation (which usually is in the 68-72 range) so you still need to bank on getting that minimum 70%.

The possibility of remediation is very real as @calvinhobbes said. You basically get about 4-5 weeks in the summer to fly through 5 months of whatever you failed, whether it's lecture or the labs and have to pass it. So do your best to pass and stay on top of your game!

If you have any more questions, PM me!