NYIT Arkansas vs LECOM- Bradenton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArianaYW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

so, I started this post because I wanted some feedback on which school is supposedly the better option?

I saw both facilities during my interviews and honestly feel like I could love both. I do like the set up for NYIT's campus with their anatomy labs more than Bradenton's. I thought I could love PBL but am kind of nervous about the idea. NYIT is known to be a pretty good school but the Arkansas program is fairly new and that also makes me a tad nervous. I'm a FL native so I feel the main perk I'm seeing about Bradenton is location but the school was impressive to me as well.

Can someone please help me, maybe someone who is going to the schools? Or already interviewed at these places?

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Any other choices? This is like choosing the best house in a bad neighborhood. LECOM-B has real issues with their clinical rotations.
And NYIT-AR is way over priced, and now you have two DO schools in a state of only 3M people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Just glossing over the two schools pros and cons, I think your best choice would be LECOM-B. Not only is a wayyy cheaper than NYIT but it's also close to home. Yea, LECOM-B might have its problems in clinical rotations, but that could possible fixed when it's your turn to rotate (not a guarantee). You might also end up liking PBL, who knows? Honestly, you should go with the cheaper and closer option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other choices? This is like choosing the best house in a bad neighborhood. LECOM-B has real issues with their clinical rotations.
And NYIT-AR is way over priced, and now you have two DO schools in a state of only 3M people.

Besides being expensive though, NYIT I heard is a great school. They also said they are medically underserved so they're looking for more doctors for those 3M people...do you know other bad things about the school? I've already heard the bad stuff about LECOM lol

Curriculum will be fine but you are dealing with a lot of uncertainty. The quality of their clinical rotations is to be determined and you know nothing at this point in regard to board pass rates/scores. But in regard to the latter, you can at least make an inference from NYIT's home campus.

Besides being expensive though, NYIT I heard is a great school. They also said they are medically underserved so they're looking for more doctors for those 3M people...do you know other bad things about the school? I've already heard the bad stuff about LECOM lol
Go to Bradenton. I am from Arkansas and wouldn't recommend the Jonesboro campus to someone with options.

1) Rotations in Arkansas will be dominated by ARCOM and UAMS. The hospitals in the state favor these two hospitals and are not in support of the NY run school being here. You will have to find locations outside the state, which I'm sure NYIT will have setup, but it is still an inconvenience.
2) Some lectures (not sure exactly how much) will be streamed to you from NY. Your only contact with these instructors will be via the web for questions/concerns. I am sure this will eventually not be the case, but it is another inconvenience for the time being.
3) In addition to my first point, many of these hospital rotations that you won't have available to you are the major holders in residency positions in the state. You will be treated like an outsider applying even though you will reside in the state.
4) It is all hearsay since the data has not been released, but my advisor was told that the first class at Jonesboro had an MCAT average of 496. This will be the class that sets the stage for the reputation of the school moving forward as they rotate through various hospitals and go through the match. Not that good doctors can't be produced with scores that low, but to have those scores across the board does not give me confidence that I would be favored for a rotation/residency spot following behind a class that is likely going to underachieve. I strongly believe this will not be the case in 5+ years, but I could not bring myself to risk it or tell anyone else to do the same. Granted, it will be a decent school in due time. However, I think it will struggle to takeoff, and I don't want to be a part of that particular struggle.

Like you said, the setup is not bad being on campus at a decent size college. Jonesboro is not a terrible town either IMO. If it were your only option, I would say run with it and go be a doctor. However, you have an option that is ~$20k a year cheaper. Your future self will thank you for saving yourself ~$100k and staying closer to family. Congratulations on both acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
@YoungDoc25 Thank you for your input. I'm waiting to hear back from several interviews and might soon have to decide between NYIT ark and these other schools. I've seen many claims on sdn that ARCOM will have all the rotation sites and NYIT ark won't. And you mention that the hospitals prefer these other schools and don't support nyit ark. Do you have any sources I could look over? I loved the school when I interviewed but have become wary after looking through sdn. New schools are usually viewed with uncertainty and "ranked" lower than the more established ones and I'm trying to determine if what I have seen is only because the school is new or if this school is more worrisome than the other new schools being created due to reasons I am unaware of

Edit: I would also prefer to rotate in Memphis vs Arkansas and admissions has told me they are setting up rotations in Memphis. So the concerns regarding lack of quality Arkansas rotations may not apply to other states like TN?

Last edited:
@YoungDoc25 Thank you for your input. I'm waiting to hear back from several interviews and might soon have to decide between NYIT ark and these other schools. I've seen many claims on sdn that ARCOM will have all the rotation sites and NYIT ark won't. And you mention that the hospitals prefer these other schools and don't support nyit ark. Do you have any sources I could look over? I loved the school when I interviewed but have become wary after looking through sdn. New schools are usually viewed with uncertainty and "ranked" lower than the more established ones and I'm trying to determine if what I have seen is only because the school is new or if this school is more worrisome than the other new schools being created due to reasons I am unaware of

Edit: I would also prefer to rotate in Memphis vs Arkansas and admissions has told me they are setting up rotations in Memphis. So the concerns regarding lack of quality Arkansas rotations may not apply to other states like TN?
Very valid question. I attached a picture of the current teaching hospital affiliation for ARCOM. The Little Rock and Conway hospitals are the very same hospitals (with exception of UAMS' own hospital) that provide the clinical education for our instate MD school as well as the hospitals in Fort Smith. These opportunities were not offered to NYIT. I have heard the same as far as Memphis rotations goes for NYIT, and I am hopeful these rotations will be the same rotations that the UT students in Memphis get to rotate through. If so, that will be a great opportunity for the Jonesboro students. However, that's a lot to have up in the air when committing to a school. I genuinely hope they score a solid group of hospitals there that provide a great education for the students. It's an easy drive as well (only like an hour and 15 minutes I think), so it would be an excellent opportunity. $55k a year is a lot to pay though to a bunch of empty promises by an admissions staff. I'd personally want to see it on paper before I'm forking over that kind of money.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.PNG
    IMG_0309.PNG
    365.8 KB · Views: 151
Very valid question. I attached a picture of the current teaching hospital affiliation for ARCOM. The Little Rock and Conway hospitals are the very same hospitals (with exception of UAMS' own hospital) that provide the clinical education for our instate MD school as well as the hospitals in Fort Smith. These opportunities were not offered to NYIT. I have heard the same as far as Memphis rotations goes for NYIT, and I am hopeful these rotations will be the same rotations that the UT students in Memphis get to rotate through. If so, that will be a great opportunity for the Jonesboro students. However, that's a lot to have up in the air when committing to a school. I genuinely hope they score a solid group of hospitals there that provide a great education for the students. It's an easy drive as well (only like an hour and 15 minutes I think), so it would be an excellent opportunity. $55k a year is a lot to pay though to a bunch of empty promises by an admissions staff. I'd personally want to see it on paper before I'm forking over that kind of money.
Thanks for all the info!! Definitely something to think about if I'm in a position to make a choice between schools

Thanks for all the info!! Definitely something to think about if I'm in a position to make a choice between schools
No problem! If you come up with any questions later on, PM me or ask away on here. I'd also love to hear if the Memphis rotations comes through for them. I have a lot of younger friends trying to keep up with all of this craziness as well before they begin applying next year. Best of luck to you! Congrats again!

Yea, but i don't think these things should be a problem because NYIT itself is established...it's not like it's an entirely new school. I don't know, I like the curriculum a lot in NYIT and watching recorded lectures is to me not that bad because my best friend does that for UF pharmacy school and it works for them. If UF can do that then it can't be too bad.

and now you have two DO schools in a state of only 3M people

Not only that but ARCOM has all the good rotation sites, outside of the university hospital.

because NYIT itself is established...

But it's really not. NYIT is somewhat established in the NE and I can practically guarantee that no one in the south gives two hoots about the "NYIT brand" or even knows about it. It is a completely different school for all intents and purposes. It's not like KCU-Joplin where the KCU students have had rotations in Joplin for a long time and they now are just including a pre-clinical campus. NYIT has no ties to Arkansas outside of using their underservedness to make some money, and the health systems in Arkansas know it.

Not only that but ARCOM has all the good rotation sites, outside of the university hospital.

But it's really not. NYIT is somewhat established in the NE and I can practically guarantee that no one in the south gives two hoots about the "NYIT brand" or even knows about it. It is a completely different school for all intents and purposes. It's not like KCU-Joplin where the KCU students have had rotations in Joplin for a long time and they now are just including a pre-clinical campus. NYIT has no ties to Arkansas outside of using their underservedness to make some money, and the health systems in Arkansas know it.
No one in the area really cares that their unreservedness is being taken advantage of. This area has a large shortage of physicians and people are more than happy to see the area have more in the future. Northeastern Arkansas/Southeast Missouri/West Tennessee are heavily underserved areas. Most people travel 60-90+ miles to go see their actual doctor. The established brand of NYIT will hold some weight behind the school because of its good reputation in the northeast. Many practicing doctors in the area are well aware that NYIT has produced good physicians in the past, so they expect similar results from this school. It will be interesting to see how their first class does on boards, etc. It will take several years for this school to establish its unique identity (good or bad).

are more than happy to see the area have more in the future

I am also extremely skeptical this will bring more physicians in the future. Doctors are most likely to settle down near where they did residency, not medical school. How many of their class will come from that immediate region? If they are true to their mission then most of their class should come from their, but more likely than not it will be from mostly other places.

I am also extremely skeptical this will bring more physicians in the future. Doctors are most likely to settle down near where they did residency, not medical school. How many of their class will come from that immediate region? If they are true to their mission then most of their class should come from their, but more likely than not it will be from mostly other places.
Out of their class of 115 it is likely that a majority aren't going to settle in the area and practice. They have however opened up two residences in Jonesboro (Family Medicine and Internal Medicine I believe) and is sure to draw some of the graduates. As the school becomes more established in the next several years, it will likely spike the number of local applicants and spark interest in going into medicine (rather going to be a nurse than NP,CRNA, PT, OT, PA, etc). As local applicants start to apply more, it is likely that the school will start develop a larger regional bias in their selection process. There are plenty of people who even do their residences elsewhere and return back to their local area to practice as an attending physician. This is especially true for a lot of people who grew up in rural areas and feel a strong connection to their "home". No it likely won't completely correct the shortage of healthcare in the area, but it will definitely increase the number of hands on deck from the current baseline.