NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats shockadvised! Now enjoy your life before this whole school thing starts up again.

Members don't see this ad.

how would one go about looking for housing...

i heard that most ppl live in glencove...so i just wanted to clear that up...

also.. do some students live on the nyit campus?

how would one go about looking for housing...

i heard that most ppl live in glencove...so i just wanted to clear that up...

also.. do some students live on the nyit campus?

There are no dorms on the NYIT campus. You are going to have get outside housing. Check out the facebook group. There are many people posting about houses/roomates there. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
So........ I found out on Thursday that

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, besides that awesome news that I was just so anxiously awaiting, I was hoping to clear up some things regarding the admissions people.
I interviewed 2/26, and was told to wait a month before I called to ask anything. I waited (exactly) one month and on Thursday I called the office. The lady who answered the phone transfered me to someone (nicer) and I was asked to confirm my info for her (obviously she was actually looking me up in their system). After about a 2 minute wait of complete silence on the phone, admissions lady told me "OK Jessica your acceptance letter is being mailed today":soexcited:
I obviously just about fell off my chair after that tid bit of information.
I was was just blown away, because judging by what people on this board say, you cannot get a decision over the phone. Well I did, and I wasn't pushy or desperate, I was just nice and polite. She just right out told me!
So I am sure that makes some people more nervous, or maybe give some people more hope, but I just wanted to tell my story. Apparently the admissions office is just not to be trusted because they literally tell everyone something different!!
But I haven't gotten my letter yet and am expecting it some time early this week if she did mail in on Thursday. If you interviewed 2/24-2/26 hopefully you will also get your letter early this week!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! And I'm SO exited to meet people in my new class!!!:D:D:D

Hey Congrats, actually something like that happened to me as well. I waited about 30 days after my interview and called the admissions office and the person who answered the phone told me to expect a "very good news" via mail... So, i agree they do give definite answers over the phone...

By the way, in 4 years i am gonna get to call you guys Doctors!!! Doesn't that sound great???:laugh:

Wow! Congratulations to you both!! :):):) Are you planning on applying for DPC?

Thnx, I already sent my DPC application in, however, i filled it out in a hurry for some reason:confused:. I think DPC will be a good curriculum for me, but again you never know before trying... From what I read on this forum DPC students don't have much free time compared to lecture based curriculum, but they get more time at the end of their second year which gives them more time to study for the COMLEX... :soexcited:

So........ I found out on Thursday that

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, besides that awesome news that I was just so anxiously awaiting, I was hoping to clear up some things regarding the admissions people.
I interviewed 2/26, and was told to wait a month before I called to ask anything. I waited (exactly) one month and on Thursday I called the office. The lady who answered the phone transfered me to someone (nicer) and I was asked to confirm my info for her (obviously she was actually looking me up in their system). After about a 2 minute wait of complete silence on the phone, admissions lady told me "OK Jessica your acceptance letter is being mailed today":soexcited:
I obviously just about fell off my chair after that tid bit of information.
I was was just blown away, because judging by what people on this board say, you cannot get a decision over the phone. Well I did, and I wasn't pushy or desperate, I was just nice and polite. She just right out told me!
So I am sure that makes some people more nervous, or maybe give some people more hope, but I just wanted to tell my story. Apparently the admissions office is just not to be trusted because they literally tell everyone something different!!
But I haven't gotten my letter yet and am expecting it some time early this week if she did mail in on Thursday. If you interviewed 2/24-2/26 hopefully you will also get your letter early this week!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! And I'm SO exited to meet people in my new class!!!:D:D:D

Congrats shockadvised!

I have to ask....what exactly did you say to the person on the phone when you called? Did you say you wanted to check the status of your application? Did you say you interviewed 4 weeks ago and wanted to check in?

I'm just wondering because I want to know what to say when I call to get the most info!! I interviewed on 3/5, so this Thursday will be exactly 4 weeks....

IN as well! I received the letter today.

Congrats to those accepted. I look forward to meeting you.

Thnx, I already sent my DPC application in, however, i filled it out in a hurry for some reason:confused:. I think DPC will be a good curriculum for me, but again you never know before trying... From what I read on this forum DPC students don't have much free time compared to lecture based curriculum, but they get more time at the end of their second year which gives them more time to study for the COMLEX... :soexcited:

As a lecture based student, you won't be hurting for time to study for the COMLEX. We're done with class on May 3 and have to take the COMLEX by June 26. That's more than enough time - most people say that they peak at 4 weeks.

hey everyone! i interviewed on 3/5 and received my acceptance letter in the mail today!! :D:)
so excited, i can't wait to meet all of you!

i have got the acceptance letter from nycom, and i deposited 2000 dollar for tourocom 2 weeks ago. What should i do? go to nycom or touro? Touro, i have not commute problem and cheaper. Nycom,i need to buy a car and learn to drive first, and it is much more expensive a school. Who can tell me the advantage of attending nycom over touro? i know nothing.

i have got the acceptance letter from nycom, and i deposited 2000 dollar for tourocom 2 weeks ago. What should i do? go to nycom or touro? Touro, i have not commute problem and cheaper. Nycom,i need to buy a car and learn to drive first, and it is much more expensive a school. Who can tell me the advantage of attending nycom over touro? i know nothing.

The basics:

Touro is a new school that hasn't graduated a class yet, so it's quality has not yet been truly tested. Its 3rd and 4th-year clinicals are still a bit of a mystery. Because of this, it will not be as well-known in the northeast.

NYCOM is a well-established school that has thus far graduated many very successful classes. It has great 3rd and 4th-year rotations and is known well in the northeast. While it is VERY expensive, I believe it will also give you more opportunities in the end.

Regardless, I am sure that both schools would give you a great medical education. Try to look beyond the cost (which I know is difficult) and see which schools fits you better on a personal level.

Members don't see this ad :)

Is it a non-refundable deposit at Touro?

ps - Congrats on getting accepted to BOTH!! WTG!! :thumbup:

why do you think NYCOM is so much more expensive than TOUROCOM?

I GOT INNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

:):laugh::):laugh::):laugh:

I just joined the facebook group!! :)

:soexcited::soexcited:Hello I just called NYCOM to check the status and they told me that i was in!!!!!!! (or thats what i think they said - the moment i heard congratulations i started screaming!! LOL )

I feel like the happiest person on earth right now! :clap:

Well my main intention to join SDN today was to tell other applicants like myself that NYCOM is still sending out acceptance letters - mine was sent out today ., I was interviewed on 2/24. .. So please dont lose hope :):):)

Also I have an interview this friday at LECOM Erie, can anyone tell me if I should consider going for this interview?

So after jumping up and down and going a little insane, I can now tell everyone that I actually called NYCOM because I'm out of town this week and it was driving me nuts that everyone was hearing back from my interview group (3/5).
I told the woman I spoke to that I had interviewed about a month ago and was checking on my status. She asked for my name, and then asked me to confirm my SS#, and then said congrats and that a letter had been mailed to me. So yes, I'm confirming that they'll tell you over the phone. Although it'll be nice to have that letter in my hands too....

I'm so excited to meet everyone!

(FYI interestingly, I was waitlisted at TouroCOM (high) but NYCOM is my personal first choice hands down)

I just called today and after asking for my info, the lady told me that "letters were mailed out yesterday so just check your mail". (I interviewed on 2/24). I asked her if she knew what the letter said but she told me that she didn't know. I am just praying for an acceptance :xf:.

I was also one of the lucky ones who got their decision over the phone...the woman told me that decisions were mailed out that morning and added "Congratulations, it's good news." I guess it depends on who you get! Congrats to everyone, can't wait to meet you all!

Hey guys i was wondering if there was another deposit for NYCOM and if any one got more mail form the school? the last mail i got was the one for DPC...

I got in today. Interviewed on March 4th. Good luck to all those still waiting.
:)

I interviewed on march 3rd.

Called NYCOM on tuesday and they said a decision was made and was mailed out on monday

I am stilllll waiting & am gonna go nuts if i dont get the letter 2m!

hope to be joining all of you in august!:xf:

Hey guys i was wondering if there was another deposit for NYCOM and if any one got more mail form the school? the last mail i got was the one for DPC...

Another deposit? There is just that initial deposit of $2,000. What, you wanna pay more? :p

The last piece of mail I got was the medical form. I don't think we're getting much else until it gets closer to the summer.

I got in today. Interviewed on March 4th. Good luck to all those still waiting.
:)

Congrats! Join the FB group, if you haven't already. :D

I interviewed on march 3rd.

Called NYCOM on tuesday and they said a decision was made and was mailed out on monday

I am stilllll waiting & am gonna go nuts if i dont get the letter 2m!

hope to be joining all of you in august!:xf:

Good luck! :luck:

I just got a confirmed answer on the orientation. It will be on August 14th and classes start on August 17th...
see u all then.:soexcited:

Anybody know what their interview schedule is like? Are they still offering interviews for the upcoming Fall class?

thats awesome, its so much better than starting orientation at the beginning of the week and starting classes the day after!

thats awesome, its so much better than starting orientation at the beginning of the week and starting classes the day after!

That's true. I didn't think about it that way. :p

My thoughts exactly. :D

I didn't know it was that early; I thought it was towards the end of August or something, not the middle. Aww...

Hey, its better than Touro....their orientation is August 3rd and I think they start that week too. :rolleyes:

I called earlier this week (April 1st) and they told me a decision had not been made. I just came back from a mini vacation and in my mailbox I find.. an ACCEPTANCE letter!! Yayyy!

So even if they say that they haven't made a decision (she took all of my info as well), its not necessarily true. Also, the letter was dated March 30th. So good luck to all out there and just keep checking your mail!

hey, guys, after 2 days' careful thought, i wrote my 1500 check to nycom and dumped the 2000 dollar in touro. So, we are going to be schoolmates. One thing i have to make sure though. How many deposits do we have to make to nycom in order to formally be matriculated in. Touro requires 2 deposits. That's why i am asking.

hey, guys, after 2 days' careful thought, i wrote my 1500 check to nycom and dumped the 2000 dollar in touro. So, we are going to be schoolmates. One thing i have to make sure though. How many deposits do we have to make to nycom in order to formally be matriculated in. Touro requires 2 deposits. That's why i am asking.

Hey Congrats Daniel, I think you made the right decision. I had the same question so I called and asked, there is only one deposit of $1500...

Bil~

:soexcited::soexcited:Hello I just called NYCOM to check the status and they told me that i was in!!!!!!! (or thats what i think they said - the moment i heard congratulations i started screaming!! LOL )

I feel like the happiest person on earth right now! :clap:

Well my main intention to join SDN today was to tell other applicants like myself that NYCOM is still sending out acceptance letters - mine was sent out today ., I was interviewed on 2/24. .. So please dont lose hope :):):)

Also I have an interview this friday at LECOM Erie, can anyone tell me if I should consider going for this interview?
congrats! i live near myself and its a small town
personally.. nycom was always my first choice but i checked out every school i got an interview at (including lecom and rocky vista in colorado). u can hear all the good/bad things about a school you want, but you never know until u check it out yourself and if you don't go u might always wonder..
good luck!!

are you suppose to receive anything after you send in the deposit check?

I just called to see if they were still conducting interviews and was told that ALL interview invitations were sent out. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to see if an invitation was sent to me and when the last set were sent out but was hung up on before I could ask.

I heard that too. Except I know last year they were interviewing until May. Also isn't the class not even close to being full? Why did they stop interviewing

I just called to see if they were still conducting interviews and was told that ALL interview invitations were sent out. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to see if an invitation was sent to me and when the last set were sent out but was hung up on before I could ask.

I received an interview invite on April 4th for the 15th at 230 so i know they are interviewing at least up until then

I interviewed on March 19th and havent heard anything back yet...its coming around to a just about a full month and am getting more and more nervous :(...hopefully i'll be back with good news tho....good luck to everyone else who is also waiting! :xf::xf:

Does anyone know when we're going to get access to the housing board? Do people already have access?