NYC/Philly/DC Peds Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedswannabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the site...thanks to all who post - the advice is really helpful. I grew up wanting to be a pediatrician. After getting cold feet during 3rd year, I recently re-dedicated myself to pursuing a career in peds. While I agree that the money/respect/lifestyle issues are legitimate, I decided that at the end of the day, there's no one I'd rather help in this world than kids. And hopefully I'll be able to survive on 100-150k/year :)

I'm coming from an average U.S. med school, with step 1/2 scores above the mean. Grades: all passes 1st & 2nd year, 4 high passes during 3rd year, honors in my Peds Sub-I. No research but I've done a fair amount of volunteer work with kids. Pretty good letters from 2 residency directors. I'm looking to apply in NY, NJ, Philly, Maryland, and DC. I may be interested in doing a fellowship in one of these regions, so I've heard its best to stick with a university program (any thoughts on this?)

I'd appreciate any advice on which programs in these regions I might be a good candidate for. Specifically, if someone wouldn't mind ranking the NYC area programs and the Maryland/DC programs. (I know everyone has a different opinion, but I'm open to anyone's personal list.)
Here's what I've heard so far:

NYC - Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai, NS/LIJ, NYU, Einstein, Montefiore, Stonybrook, NY Med (which site?)

NJ - RWJ, St. Peter's, (any others?)

Philly - CHOP, St. Chris, Dupont

Maryland - Hopkins, UMaryland

DC - DC Children's, Georgetown (haven't heard anything about this program?)

Any comments on ANY of these individual programs? I figure Hopkins/CHOP would be a reach; not sure about the others. Feel free to tell me what you think is "in my league", which programs are a stretch...as well as which ones I might want to stay away from. Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

bump

I'd also like to here more about these programs if anyone has any input???

Pedswannabe,
Sorry to say I don't have any input on ranking these programs or any information. I am curious, though, about how a MSIV with your numbers (similar to mine) will do in the process. I had a resident a few years back that had done an AI at Childrens (DC) and did not get an interview there. She had average board scores.

Have you had any interview offers? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
A family friend used to be program director of one of the NYC Peds programs, and this is what he had to say:
Columbia, Montefiore/Mt. Sinai, Cornell/LIJ, NYU
hope this helps

What's LIJ? I don't know much about the NYC programs, but I want to be there....

So far, in NY I have applied to einstein at Jacobi & Montefiore, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and Mt Sinai. With average step 1 scores, where else should I apply in NY?

Thanks!

I think LIJ means

North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System-Schneider Children's Hospital Program, New Hyde Park, NY

correct me if i am wrong

good luck

OK, so I checked out LIJ's site...it's a huge program, with 41 PGY1 spots. Do you think you would get the new york experience training there? The site says it's about 30 minutes from the city.

Also, is anyone applying to St Vincent's or St Barnabas?

Thanks, and good luck to all...

drv said:
I think LIJ means

North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System-Schneider Children's Hospital Program, New Hyde Park, NY

correct me if i am wrong

good luck

Well most of us just call it "Long Island Jewish" but you're right that's the full official charter name for the program! Similar to the way "Rhode Island" is actually "Rhode Island and the plantations of Providence" or something along that. FWIW I've heard that LIJ is a big program but an absolutely fabulous place to train.

BUMP! this thread is 2 years old, but i want to bump it back up and see if anyone has any new information or thoughts about pediatrics in the greater NYC area .... there are so many i can't even began to pick and choose ... i'll take any opinions! :)

raspberry swirl said:
BUMP! this thread is 2 years old, but i want to bump it back up and see if anyone has any new information or thoughts about pediatrics in the greater NYC area .... there are so many i can't even began to pick and choose! im thinking i might just hit up all of them and see what interviews roll in ... i'll take any opinions! :)

Sounds like somebody is leaning towards pedi today :laugh:

oldbearprofessor said:
Sounds like somebody is leaning towards pedi today :laugh:
:oops:

OBP, watch out, im going to make you my new best friend, and fill your inbox with PMs ... IF i go peds, this is my list (mind you, i have a psych list as well, and a traditional internship list as well ... i've got about 50 programs in my pocket...)

In no particular order ...

1. NY Presby - Cornell
2. NY Presby - Columbia
3. Einstein - Jacobi
4. Einstein - Montefiore
5. NYU
6. NY Methodist
7. NYMC - St Vincents
8. LIJ/North Shore/Schnieders
9. Mt Sinai
10. Maimonides*
11. Nassau*
12. St Barnabas*
13. Good Samaritan*
14. Univ of Rochester (ahh the home town ... im applying here to appease my
mother, i have no intention of ranking the place, i hate it with a passion)

*known to be DO friendly :)

SUNY Brooklyn & Brookdale - i have heard these two places are "malignant"

Mystery programs - i cannot find ANYONE who knows anything about the following programs ... Bronx-Lebanon, Lincoln Med Ctr, Woodhull Med Ctr, Brooklyn Hosp, Long Island College Hosp, Harlem Hosp, NYMC - Metropolitan

i think 14 is a nice number! thoughts?? anyone?? should i take something off, should i add something? anyone know anything about the mystery programs?

I did not interview in NYC, but did in Maryland, DC, and PA. I honestly believe that a lot of why you end up going to a particular place is based a lot on your interview day and where you want to live for at least 3 years. I am currently at Hopkins and LOVE the program. Can't imagine being anywhere else. I did interview at DC Childrens, CHOP, etc and each has their own particular strengths/weaknesses. Private msg me if you have particular questions.

raspberry swirl said:
:oops:

OBP, watch out, im going to make you my new best friend, and fill your inbox with PMs ... IF i go peds, this is my list (mind you, i have a psych list as well, and a traditional internship list as well ... i've got about 50 programs in my pocket...)

In no particular order ...

1. NY Presby - Cornell
2. NY Presby - Columbia
3. Einstein - Jacobi
4. Einstein - Montefiore
5. NYU
6. NY Methodist
7. NYMC - St Vincents
8. LIJ/North Shore/Schnieders
9. Mt Sinai
10. Maimonides*
11. Nassau*
12. St Barnabas*
13. Good Samaritan*
14. Univ of Rochester (ahh the home town ... im applying here to appease my
mother, i have no intention of ranking the place, i hate it with a passion)

*known to be DO friendly :)

SUNY Brooklyn & Brookdale - i have heard these two places are "malignant"

Mystery programs - i cannot find ANYONE who knows anything about the following programs ... Bronx-Lebanon, Lincoln Med Ctr, Woodhull Med Ctr, Brooklyn Hosp, Long Island College Hosp, Harlem Hosp, NYMC - Metropolitan

i think 14 is a nice number! thoughts?? anyone?? should i take something off, should i add something? anyone know anything about the mystery programs?

Interview at 50 programs and you'll gain a lot of weight on the lunches. You'll make Ann Taylor and your dry cleaner rich as well. :laugh:

Feel free to PM me. or Facebook me - my newest way of keeping up with the med students....

Seriously, although you may want to stay in the greaer NYC area, it is worth interviewing at a couple of places "nearby" (Philly/DC/Boston) perhaps to get some idea of what is out there.

Did you read "Mt. Misery?"

OBP

oldbearprofessor said:
Seriously, although you may want to stay in the greaer NYC area, it is worth interviewing at a couple of places "nearby" (Philly/DC/Boston) perhaps to get some idea of what is out there.

OBP
couples matching ... im confined to NYC.