NY Limited Permit Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PedsPhD23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how limited permit works?

For context - I am an intern and applying for postdoc + working on my dissertation. Do people start postdoc before their limited permit is approved? How does everyone time it ?

Members don't see this ad.

In general you don't want to start post-doc before you get your limited permit. In some settings, such as the VA, you may be allowed to do so by law. However, The state will not count those hours toward licensure. The permit identifies a licensed supervisor and starts the clock on counting your hours. Complete the paperwork as soon as you know where you are going for post-doc. Your supervisor/site should be familiar the process and recent timelines for getting a limited permit approved.

Reactions: 1 user
I will say it took 6 months for my permit to be approved. So, you want to start it ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general you don't want to start post-doc before you get your limited permit. In some settings, such as the VA, you may be allowed to do so by law. However, The state will not count those hours toward licensure. The permit identifies a licensed supervisor and starts the clock on counting your hours. Complete the paperwork as soon as you know where you are going for post-doc. Your supervisor/site should be familiar the process and recent timelines for getting a limited permit approved.

For NY State, if you're doing a postdoc in a government setting (AKA the VA), you do NOT need a limited permit. It took me months to track down that answer (my site didn't know because I did my postdoc NOT in NY but was getting licensed in NY), so figured I should spread the wealth lol

Reactions: 1 users
I would also recommend getting everything in sooner rather than later. I am in the process of getting licensed and NY and they lost my form 4 from my internship TD. They processed it in July and confirmed I could take the EPPP, but when I prompted about why I haven't received my license 6 weeks after passing the EPPP they said they don't have it.

They also only answer calls Tuesday and Thursday.

I would also recommend getting everything in sooner rather than later. I am in the process of getting licensed and NY and they lost my form 4 from my internship TD. They processed it in July and confirmed I could take the EPPP, but when I prompted about why I haven't received my license 6 weeks after passing the EPPP they said they don't have it.

They also only answer calls Tuesday and Thursday.
It really is so awful. They have a history of losing forms and taking forever.