Number of Years for MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeloc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
An MBA is traditionally a 2-year degree and has nothing in common with the MD curriculum so it would seem that an MD/MBA would take six years. However, all the programs I see are five years. Is part of the MBA curriculum missing for these combined programs and are graduates of 2-year MBA programs stronger than their 1-year counterparts?

Members don't see this ad.

An MBA is traditionally a 2-year degree and has nothing in common with the MD curriculum so it would seem that an MD/MBA would take six years. However, all the programs I see are five years. Is part of the MBA curriculum missing for these combined programs and are graduates of 2-year MBA programs stronger than their 1-year counterparts?

It depends on the program, but most institutions mesh them together in some fashion...

Summer classes during MS1.
Cut clinical elective time during MS4, replaced with B-school curriculum.
Slightly shortened business curriculum to earn the MBA.

...all ways that 4 years of med school and 2 years of b-school is squeezed into the 5-year MD/MBA.

Now, does that make for "weaker" graduates? I guess it depends.

Intellectually, I imagine the MD/MBA students at a specific school are as strong as any of their pure MBA counterparts.

In regards to knowledge, it is a trade off. You might have less knowledge about some intricate financial instrument (since perhaps you never had the opportunity to take the elective covering said matter). However, you bring a different pot o' knowledge to the table that your pure MBA counterparts don't have: your clinical knowledge.

In regards to networking, the 2-year pure MBA has the upper hand, given that as a MD/MBA student you likely will not have the same freedom/breadth of networking, option to engage in a lengthy internship, etc. However, if you aren't looking to work for GS as a MD/MBA graduate, this fact might not matter as much.

Our program had heavy coursework before both summer sessions of MS1 year, courses in the first month of summer session before MS2 year combined with 6 weeks of internship time, then coursework every semester in night classes either once or twice a week.

This was able to conglomerate everything into a 4 year combined program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our program had heavy coursework before both summer sessions of MS1 year, courses in the first month of summer session before MS2 year combined with 6 weeks of internship time, then coursework every semester in night classes either once or twice a week.

This was able to conglomerate everything into a 4 year combined program.

Just wanted to point out that Texas Tech and Tufts have the only 2 MD/MBA programs that are 4 years total.

Just wanted to point out that Texas Tech and Tufts have the only 2 MD/MBA programs that are 4 years total.

I was not aware that Tufts still has theirs. Last I heard they were transitioning to a 5 year program.

That's great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, 2003 join date, that was ten years ago.. Anyway, I want to say, having done a 2 year MBA (and thank goodness still in medical school) that DON'T expect to learn treasury management in even a 2year MBA, NO WAY. Not saying that this is NOT likely a very important application that an M.D. can bring to the table if they had that experience; but YES, I can say I find it VERY different to study medicine.

I think the "consulting" type practice that you get in business school would be applicable and probably at a current twenty year old perspective, the most important thing to them anyway. At any rate, I don't expect even our 21st century society is advanced enough (professional) to appreciate what an M.D. with a financial background could bring to any of the health related industries, but I guess we will see... So, for sure, don't expect it to be treasury management, what you will learn....

Philosophy B.A. Graduate, 1990
(Yes that's maybe before you we're born)
:laugh: :D :idea: